Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Back-to-back or "nested" ticketing questions, discussion (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 29, 2016, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Back to Back or "Nested" Tickets - Discussion

Ticket validity: Compliance with terms and conditions of sale (link)

American specifically prohibits practices commonly known as:
  • Back-to-back ticketing: The combination of two or more roundtrip excursion fares end to end for the purpose of circumventing minimum stay requirements.
<snip>

Where a ticket is invalidated as the result of the passenger's non-compliance with any term or condition of sale, American has the right in its sole discretion to:
  1. Cancel any remaining portion of the passenger's itinerary
  2. Confiscate unused flight coupons
  3. Refuse to board the passenger or check the passenger's luggage
  4. Refuse to refund an otherwise refundable ticket
  5. Assess the passenger for the reasonable remaining value of the ticket, which shall be no less than the difference between the fare actually paid and the lowest fare applicable to the passenger's actual itinerary

Typically, these are tickets purchased to evade minimum stays such as seven days or Saturday night. E.g. Consultant John Doe flies AUS-SEA Monday, returns Thursday; he buys nested round trip excursion tickets using coupon 1 of ticket 1 outbound, coupon 1 of ticket 2 return, the coupons #2 the following week, etc. AA hates John Doe. AA wants Mr. Doe to stop it.

Print Wikipost

Back-to-back or "nested" ticketing questions, discussion (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2010, 3:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, ICH, Avis, SPG
Does AA frown upon 'nested' (back-to-back) tickets?

i need to fly from SFO-LHR for midweek trips on January 10th and January 24th. unfortunately to fly SFO-LHR-SFO on 1/10 and back on 1/12 is quite expensive. instead, if i fly:
SFO-LHR-SFO 1/10 and 1/27
LHR-SFO-LHR 1/12 and 1/24
prices are much lower.
is this frowned upon by AA?

Last edited by JDiver; Aug 30, 2015 at 8:59 pm Reason: Restore original post title
Old Dec 16, 2010, 4:02 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
That's a back-to-back ticket and if LHR-SFO-LHR violates the minimum stay of the fare class SFO-LHR-SFO is booked in, then yes AA does frown upon such practices.

You can go LHR-XXX-LHR instead and have a "nested" ticket (and then go XXX-SFO), or you can go LHR-SFO-LHR on another carrier, neither of which will arouse the ire of AA.
Old Dec 16, 2010, 4:03 pm

Location: St. Louis, MO - AA PLT/2.98MM (Lifetime PLT), Delta PM, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat
Programs: TW Elite (RIP), CO OnePass
Yes...
Old Dec 16, 2010, 4:07 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
American's Conditions of Carriage, which I opine to be mandatory reading for every passenger even if out of sheer self-protection, says yes, AA frowns upon this practice:

TICKET VALIDITY - COMPLIANCE WITH TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF SALE
Tickets are valid for travel only when used in accordance with all terms and conditions of sale. Terms and conditions of sale include but are not limited to:

The passenger's itinerary, as stated on the ticket or in the passenger's reservation record,
Any requirement that the passenger stay over a specified date or length of time (for example, Saturday night or weekend) at the destination specified on the ticket.
Any special purpose or status (for example, age in the case of senior citizen or children's discounts, military status in the case of a military fare, official government business in the case of a government fare, or attendance at a qualified event in the case of a meeting or convention fare) that entitles the passenger to a special or reduced rate, or
Any other requirement associated with the passenger's fare level.
Unless a ticket is reissued by American or its authorized agent upon payment of applicable charges, or an authorized representative of American waives applicable restrictions in writing, a ticket is invalid:
  • If used for travel to a destination other than that specified on the ticket,
  • If the passenger fails to comply with applicable stay-over requirements,
  • If the passenger does not meet the purpose or status requirement associated with the fare category on the ticket, or
  • If American determines that the ticket has been purchased or used in a manner designed to circumvent applicable fare rules.

* American specifically prohibits the practices commonly known as:

Back to Back Ticketing: The combination of two or more roundtrip excursion fares end to end for the purpose of circumventing minimum stay requirements.

Throwaway Ticketing: The usage of roundtrip excursion fare for one-way travel, and

Hidden City/Point Beyond Ticketing: Purchase of a fare from a point before the passenger's actual origin or to a point beyond the passenger's actual destination.

Duplicate and Impossible/Illogical Bookings: Duplicate or impossible/illogical American Airlines bookings are prohibited without prior authorization from American Airlines. A duplicate or impossible/illogical booking includes, but is not limited to, bookings for the same passenger on flights traveling on or about the same date between one or more of the same or nearby origin and/or destination (such as JFKDFW and LGADFW or DFWLAX and DFWONT), or bookings with connections that depart before the arrival of the inbound flight.

Fraudulent, Fictitious and Abusive Bookings: Fraudulent, fictitious and/or abusive bookings are prohibited. These types of bookings are defined as any bookings made without having been requested by or on behalf of the named passenger. Additionally, creating bookings to hold or block seats for the purpose of obtaining lower fares, AAdvantage award inventory, or upgrades that may not otherwise be available, or to circumvent any of American Airlines' fare rules or policies, is prohibited without prior authorization from American Airlines.

Where a ticket is invalidated as the result of the passenger's non-compliance with any term or condition of sale, American has the right in its sole discretion to:
  • Cancel any remaining portion of the passenger's itinerary,
  • Confiscate unused flight coupons,
  • Refuse to board the passenger or check the passenger's luggage, or
  • Assess the passenger for the reasonable remaining value of the ticket, which shall be no less than the difference between the fare actually paid and the lowest fare applicable to the passenger's actual itinerary

So, there you are. Whether or not you wish to undertake the risk of being caught out is entirely up to you, of course.

Also link to General Tariff rules

Last edited by JDiver; Dec 16, 2010 at 5:59 pm Reason: add second link
Old Dec 16, 2010, 4:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
What's the reasoning behind these kinds of policies? Is it just to keep revenues as high as possible?
Old Dec 16, 2010, 5:01 pm
Original Poster

apologies for the incorrect terminology. if i were to travel the following, would it violate AA policy?

SFO-LHR-SFO 1/10-1/27
LHR-LAX-LHR 1/12-1/24
Old Dec 16, 2010, 5:09 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
So, in practice, what would happen?

In the past, I have done this with AY several times without problems. I don't know if AY rules prohibit this, but in practice there have never been any problems.
Old Dec 16, 2010, 5:11 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I think that's a grey area - and some of us would be willing to take the risk.

Originally Posted by OAK AAFlier
apologies for the incorrect terminology. if i were to travel the following, would it violate AA policy?

SFO-LHR-SFO 1/10-1/27
LHR-LAX-LHR 1/12-1/24

Well, I am a very biased person in this regard, but I believe the "world" let the airlines write their own, unilaterally enforced garbage regs and we're stuck with them. This is reflected in most airlines C of C, as well as the Warsaw Convention (written in 1929) as amended at Den Haag and Montréal, <link>, and other treaties and agreements - every one designed to mitigate the risks to airlines; the airlines assure themselves of the elevators, the passengers usually get the shaft. Harsh? Yes, but I think it's pretty true if you are an uniformed passenger who actually thinks you are guaranteed a schedule a seat, etc. And AA is no different in this regard.

Originally Posted by ExpatExp
What's the reasoning behind these kinds of policies? Is it just to keep revenues as high as possible?
Old Dec 16, 2010, 5:11 pm

Programs: I've gone underground!
Yes..
Old Dec 16, 2010, 5:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JDiver
I think that's a grey area - and some of us would be willing to take the risk.

has anyone here had their tickets cancelled for doing something like SFO-LHR-SFO and LHR-LAX-LHR? does it get even murkier if the flight is LHR-JFK-SFO-LAX on the way back?
Old Dec 16, 2010, 5:15 pm

Programs: I've gone underground!
Originally Posted by ffay005
So, in practice, what would happen?

In the past, I have done this with AY several times without problems. I don't know if AY rules prohibit this, but in practice there have never been any problems.
AY has the same language. Everyone does. You can likely "get away with it" once or twice but you can't make a regular habit. Some have recommended that you put some time between ticket purchases... i.e. "I discovered I had to be in XXX for a wedding after I purchased the original ticket". Whether this actually helps or not is known only to AA.

According to JDiver's post above, being caught puts you at risk for:

* Cancel any remaining portion of the passenger's itinerary,
* Confiscate unused flight coupons,
* Refuse to board the passenger or check the passenger's luggage, or
* Assess the passenger for the reasonable remaining value of the ticket, which shall be no less than the difference between the fare actually paid and the lowest fare applicable to the passenger's actual itinerary

In addition, the airlines have been known to send credit letters to various travel agencies that allow passengers to do this.
Old Dec 16, 2010, 5:16 pm

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
Ive done this a couple of times w/o issues - things come up when you're traveling and you need to fly midway through your original itinerary. I dont see the big deal.

You could easily get around this by getting another airline for the middle trip - Id think taht AA would be happy to have both of the sets of tickets.
Old Dec 16, 2010, 5:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by OAK AAFlier
has anyone here had their tickets cancelled for doing something like SFO-LHR-SFO and LHR-LAX-LHR? does it get even murkier if the flight is LHR-JFK-SFO-LAX on the way back?
You might get something like the following letter from AA:
https://www.aa.com/i18n/agency/Booki...o_back_ltr.jsp

and if they think you're making a habit of it, they might impose heavier sanctions.

Code:

Ticketing - Back-to-Back Ticketing - Sample Letter

Dear,

Let me take the opportunity to clarify American Airlines position 
on back-to-back ticketing. Since passengers utilizing back-to-back 
tickets are not remaining at their original destination over the 
required Saturday night, but returning on a second ticket, the 
intent to circumvent our tariffs is clear, and may be construed 
as common law fraud. As such, passengers who attempt to use 
back-to-back tickets may be denied boarding, have the remainder 
of their ticket confiscated, and may be assessed the difference 
between the fare paid and the lowest applicable fare.

Restrictions on back-to-back ticketing help American offer 
frequent flights to business travelers, and inexpensive travel to 
leisure travelers. Leisure travelers are willing to accept various 
kinds of restrictions, including non-refundable, advance purchase 
and minimum-stay requirements, in exchange for low prices. They 
then help fill the excess capacity that is a natural consequence of 
providing frequent service to fit the business travelers' needs. 
Without the ability to charge different fares to leisure and business 
travelers, American would not be able to offer as many flights.

In most cases the minimum stay requirement on discount fares is a 
Saturday-night stay. This is intended to discourage use of the 
restricted fares by business-travelers since, in most cases, business 
travelers prefer to get home quickly. Indeed, part of the reason 
business travelers like frequent flights is that frequent service 
increases a business travelers ability to minimize overall travel time, 
and maximize time either at the office or at home. Leisure travelers, 
however, are choosing to spend their leisure time traveling, and 
frequently stay over a Saturday night.

Although the issuance and usage of back-to-back tickets is not 
illegal in the sense that one could be fined or sent to jail by the 
government, it is a breach of a passengers contract with American 
Airlines. Both Tariff Rule 100AA and American's Condition of Carriage, 
which are incorporated into every ticket sold by American as part 
of our agreement to carry the passenger named on the ticket, 
bar back-to-back ticketing. In addition, it violates the agencies' 
contract to act as an agent for American Airlines.

Achieving the correct proportion of passengers who purchase the 
higher unrestricted fares and those who purchase the lower 
discounted fares allows us to continue offering timely and frequent 
schedules with the type of service our frequent flyers desire and 
at a reasonable price. It also enables us to make air fares even 
more affordable for those who wish to travel for pleasure. 
Back-to-back ticketing upsets this balance and, if it is allowed to 
proliferate, will lead to higher air fares and less service for all.

Sincerely,

Last edited by JDiver; Apr 9, 2011 at 5:44 pm Reason: insert coded letter for reference
Old Dec 16, 2010, 5:43 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, SWA A-list +
You might want to think about routing through DFW so you can get the DBEQM between now and the end of Feb.
Old Dec 16, 2010, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
The reasoning is that almost all people who will fly a 13,000 mile round trip and stay two days are on a business trip. They will make the trip even if the cost is high (note that the cost will end up being tax-deductable, so the business does not bear the full cost). Therefore, it contributes to airline revenue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.