Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AA "instant upgrade" (-UP, YUP) fare discount First (master thd)

Old Jul 10, 2013, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
SIZE="4"]AA "instant upgrade" (-UP) fare

Click here for the current thread.
[/SIZE]

These are often referred to as "instant upgrade" fares; they upgrade into the class of service P, A or I internationally with positive space; OSO / schedule disruptions mean unless the P, A, D, I etc. fare is offered on the new flight they "downgrade" to Coach on the next available flight. (One can wait for the next flight with P, A, D, I available, but this might require overnights etc. at one's expense.)

Purchasers should carefully read the Detailed Fare Rules, as many of these are, as essentially "instant upgrades", punitive in effect during IROPS / OSO", "change of gauge" aircraft substitutions, cancellations and missed connections because if the necessary fare inventory isn't available one is generally given the option to fly now, in Economy, or wait until such inventory becomes available (which may entail hours or days at the passenger's own expense).

The detailed fare codes for these flights might look like (international) GNE7C0Z1/CRUP or SNE7C0Z1/CRUP, Lxxxx, etc. Reaccommodation in Coach: these particular sample fates will be treated like an N class fare. As well: "The most restrictive set of fare rules applies to the entire itinerary. In addition other fare rules may apply."

In the detailed fare rules, instant upgrade fares may include something like this:

ECONOMY FARE WITH AN INSTANT ONE-CLASS UPGRADE AT THE TIME OF PURCHASE TO FIRST/BUSINESS. APPLICATION CLASS OF SERVICE THESE FARES APPLY FOR ECONOMY CLASS SERVICE. CAPACITY LIMITATIONS SEATS ARE LIMITED BOTH ECONOMY AND FIRST CLASS BOOKING INVENTORIES MUST BE AVAILABLE AT TIME OF BOOKING. THESE FARES PERMIT A ONE-CLASS UPGRADE AT THE TIME OF BOOKING.
E.G. During irregular operations or missed connections, one may continue in that class of service if A, P, D, I etc. as applicable is available, or the passenger can take a voluntary downgrade to the lower class of service / Y on an earlier flight. Some may do this if waiting for A, P or I requires one or more overnights.

Refunds may be limited to $0.50 per mile to a maximum of $50 per downgraded segment, and are limited to vouchers good for future travel on AA.

Link to compensation offered for an involuntary downgrade of "instant upgrade" fares:

Instant Upgrade tickets are booked in the Main Cabin. However, Instant upgrade ticketholders who travel in the Main Cabin due to an involuntary seat change, equipment change, routing change, flight cancellation, or missed connection as a result of a late incoming flight may request a travel voucher. The voucher value shall be equal to $0.10 per mile, or $50, whichever is greater, for each flight segment flown in the downgraded cabin. Refunds will be rounded to the nearest whole dollar amount, and can be requested at www.aa.com/refunds.
One explanatory post (15 Apr 2015) might be:

Originally Posted by FWAAA

Just moments ago, I priced out a trip from LAX to DFW, and two different discounted First Class ticket options were presented, the fare class of one was SA00ZNI1 (books into P) and the other was MA00ZRI1 (books into A).

At the bottom of the purchase summary screen, AA provides this warning:

■ First/Business Fares may be an Instant Upgrade and therefore subject to restrictions.
The fare rules for both tickets provide the following as the last entry:

Rule Application
and Other Conditions

NOTE THE FOLLOWING TEXT IS INFORMATIONAL AND NOT VALIDATED FOR AUTOPRICING. ECONOMY FARE WITH AN INSTANT ONECLASS UPGRADE AT THE TIME OF PURCHASE TO FIRST/BUSINESS. APPLICATION CLASS OF SERVICE THESE FARES APPLY FOR ECONOMY CLASS SERVICE. CAPACITY LIMITATIONS SEATS ARE LIMITED BOTH ECONOMY AND FIRST CLASS BOOKING INVENTORIES MUST BE AVAILABLE AT TIME OF BOOKING. THESE FARES PERMIT A ONECLASS UPGRADE AT THE TIME OF BOOKING.
Why does this matter? Because if I buy either of these tickets and then I decide that I want to fly an earlier or later flight, these fares will not permit me to walk up to the counter and claim a last-minute F seat if my capacity-controlled inventory is not available. For instance, if that last F seat is in F (not P or A), then I'd have to pay the fare difference in order to confirm a change to that seat.

We can (and have for years and years) argued around here that these fare practices are misleading - and I agree. Nevertheless, AA is most certainly still selling what it considers to be "instant upgrade" fares, and savvy travelers should read the fare rules* and plan accordingly.

*Or at least download them to your hard drive as a pdf at the time of reservation/purchase so that others might help decipher them when things go inverted. So often around here, people post questions where reading the fare rules is vital to an accurate answer, and they respond "who reads/saves those when buying a ticket?"

Back to the OP's question: How to find instant upgrade tickets? Nearly every domestic first class fare I've seen on aa.com is an instant upgrade ticket. Finding a domestic first class fare that isn't an instant upgrade fare is quite a chore. The OP can rest assured that if their fare books in P, A or F, they're going to earn their hoped-for tier points. As Microwave pointed out, the best/correct place for that discussion is in the British Airways forum where there are numerous BAEC members with experience in buying and flying on AA's instant upgrade F tickets.
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: AA "instant upgrade" (-UP, YUP) fare discount First (master thd)

Old Nov 8, 2010, 8:16 am
rty
Original Poster

american airlines purchasing an instant upgrade ticket

When you search the aa.com website for ticket prices you pull up a matrix of prices that list economy with restrictions, economy no restrictions, business class, instant upgrade and first class. When I called American they said that the instant upgrade got you a first class seat. The price of the instant upgrade was alot lower than the first class ticket. What am I missing . If they over booked the flight would the instant upgraded tickets be the first to be reassigned to a later flight?
Old Nov 8, 2010, 10:39 am

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Is this a follow-up to your original inquiry in AA Forum?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...up-ticket.html
Old Nov 8, 2010, 10:46 am
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP, 2MM+, Lifetime PLT, Admirals Club
Originally Posted by rty
When you search the aa.com website for ticket prices you pull up a matrix of prices that list economy with restrictions, economy no restrictions, business class, instant upgrade and first class. When I called American they said that the instant upgrade got you a first class seat. The price of the instant upgrade was alot lower than the first class ticket. What am I missing . If they over booked the flight would the instant upgraded tickets be the first to be reassigned to a later flight?
They are called Y-UP fares and they are not like F, in that they don't give you the same benefits. Some more research will show you what the benefits to buying them are.
Old Nov 8, 2010, 12:26 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
you have bought a coach ticket with a f seat....if there are problems such as the flight is cancelled, , you can be assigned a coach seat on the flight to which you are rebooked...good luck.......
Old Nov 8, 2010, 1:10 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Flying Blue, Mileage Plus
For all practical purposes, this is exactly the same as buying a full first class ticket. All/most the benefits are the same. The true first class ticket is booked into F and is a full fare, fully flexible ticket while the instant upgrade isn't always as flexible when it comes to making changes. Sometimes, the instant upgrade is refundable and sometimes it isn't. The aa.com matrix will tell you this when you flick on "flight details." Otherwise, the difference between a full first fare and an instant upgrade is pretty much the same as the different between a full fare coach ticket (Y fare) and a discount coach ticket (inventory N, Q, S, L, M, W, etc.).
Old Nov 8, 2010, 1:30 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Originally Posted by lin821
Is this a follow-up to your original inquiry in AA Forum?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...up-ticket.html

This thread has now been merged into the existing thread on the same topic by the same OP. Please use the search function to find existing threads, especially when you have already posted a thread on a given topic.

/Moderator
Old Jan 22, 2011, 10:43 am

Programs: AA Gold, Hyatt Globalist
using companion certificate

can i use a companion certificate with this type of fare? would we both be upgraded?
Old Mar 9, 2011, 10:46 am

Programs: AAdvantage
Admiral Club Access with Instant Upgrade

Hello,

Longtime lurker on the site, have gotten some great tips.

I purchased an instant upgrade (Code I) on the return leg of my upcoming MIA-SDQ flight. I was wondering if I will be able to access the Admirals Club in SDQ with the Business Class boarding pass.

Thanks,

Eric
Old Mar 9, 2011, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No, you will not be admitted to the Admirals Club on a biz class ticket at SDQ.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 3:42 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
So, what happens if I buy an UP fare and then choose to stand by for an earlier flight on the same day?

If there is availability on an earlier flight in F, will they put me there?

If there is availability on an earlier flight in both F and Y, where will they seat me?

If there is availability on an earlier flight but in Y only, will they put me there thus downgrading w/o compensation? Will they page me and let me choose between earlier flight in Y or original flight in F?

Has anyone had any experience about this?
Old Mar 17, 2011, 7:02 pm

Are instant upgrade P fares refundable?

I'm a United flyer with no AA status but I'm going to be flying AA next month.

The AA web site has something called instant upgrade which shows booking class "P" for First.

Are these fares fully refundable in case I need to cancel?

Thanks,
Old Mar 17, 2011, 7:31 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, AA EXP
It depends. Some of them are 100% refundable, others are nonrefundable, and others are refundable after paying a $150 change fee. It is best to put the ticket on hold and call AA up.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by BillyIdol
I'm a United flyer with no AA status but I'm going to be flying AA next month.

The AA web site has something called instant upgrade which shows booking class "P" for First.

Are these fares fully refundable in case I need to cancel?

Thanks,
Good question. AA.com allows 24hr holds, why not hold one and read the fare rules under the penalty category.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 8:57 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
You don't even have to hold said fare - all you have to do is click and read the detailed fare rules before you hold or purchase. In my experience, P fares can be anything from refundable to incurring significant change fees. There is no generic, off the cuff answer for "P fares".
Old May 2, 2011, 3:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2.2mm), SPG Plat, Accor Plat
Instant Upgrade vs Business Special?

Booking LAX-MEX and these two fares are confusing. Both get me in the front of the plane. Instant Upgrade is $100 less each way. Only difference I see on the fare chart is, surprisingly, that the Inst Up fare says 25-50% bonus, while Bus Spec is 25% bonus. So IU is cheaper and possibly gets more bonus miles than Bus Special.

Am I missing something here?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.