Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AA "instant upgrade" (-UP, YUP) fare discount First (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 10, 2013, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
SIZE="4"]AA "instant upgrade" (-UP) fare

Click here for the current thread.
[/SIZE]

These are often referred to as "instant upgrade" fares; they upgrade into the class of service P, A or I internationally with positive space; OSO / schedule disruptions mean unless the P, A, D, I etc. fare is offered on the new flight they "downgrade" to Coach on the next available flight. (One can wait for the next flight with P, A, D, I available, but this might require overnights etc. at one's expense.)

Purchasers should carefully read the Detailed Fare Rules, as many of these are, as essentially "instant upgrades", punitive in effect during IROPS / OSO", "change of gauge" aircraft substitutions, cancellations and missed connections because if the necessary fare inventory isn't available one is generally given the option to fly now, in Economy, or wait until such inventory becomes available (which may entail hours or days at the passenger's own expense).

The detailed fare codes for these flights might look like (international) GNE7C0Z1/CRUP or SNE7C0Z1/CRUP, Lxxxx, etc. Reaccommodation in Coach: these particular sample fates will be treated like an N class fare. As well: "The most restrictive set of fare rules applies to the entire itinerary. In addition other fare rules may apply."

In the detailed fare rules, instant upgrade fares may include something like this:

ECONOMY FARE WITH AN INSTANT ONE-CLASS UPGRADE AT THE TIME OF PURCHASE TO FIRST/BUSINESS. APPLICATION CLASS OF SERVICE THESE FARES APPLY FOR ECONOMY CLASS SERVICE. CAPACITY LIMITATIONS SEATS ARE LIMITED BOTH ECONOMY AND FIRST CLASS BOOKING INVENTORIES MUST BE AVAILABLE AT TIME OF BOOKING. THESE FARES PERMIT A ONE-CLASS UPGRADE AT THE TIME OF BOOKING.
E.G. During irregular operations or missed connections, one may continue in that class of service if A, P, D, I etc. as applicable is available, or the passenger can take a voluntary downgrade to the lower class of service / Y on an earlier flight. Some may do this if waiting for A, P or I requires one or more overnights.

Refunds may be limited to $0.50 per mile to a maximum of $50 per downgraded segment, and are limited to vouchers good for future travel on AA.

Link to compensation offered for an involuntary downgrade of "instant upgrade" fares:

Instant Upgrade tickets are booked in the Main Cabin. However, Instant upgrade ticketholders who travel in the Main Cabin due to an involuntary seat change, equipment change, routing change, flight cancellation, or missed connection as a result of a late incoming flight may request a travel voucher. The voucher value shall be equal to $0.10 per mile, or $50, whichever is greater, for each flight segment flown in the downgraded cabin. Refunds will be rounded to the nearest whole dollar amount, and can be requested at www.aa.com/refunds.
One explanatory post (15 Apr 2015) might be:

Originally Posted by FWAAA

Just moments ago, I priced out a trip from LAX to DFW, and two different discounted First Class ticket options were presented, the fare class of one was SA00ZNI1 (books into P) and the other was MA00ZRI1 (books into A).

At the bottom of the purchase summary screen, AA provides this warning:

■ First/Business Fares may be an Instant Upgrade and therefore subject to restrictions.
The fare rules for both tickets provide the following as the last entry:

Rule Application
and Other Conditions

NOTE THE FOLLOWING TEXT IS INFORMATIONAL AND NOT VALIDATED FOR AUTOPRICING. ECONOMY FARE WITH AN INSTANT ONECLASS UPGRADE AT THE TIME OF PURCHASE TO FIRST/BUSINESS. APPLICATION CLASS OF SERVICE THESE FARES APPLY FOR ECONOMY CLASS SERVICE. CAPACITY LIMITATIONS SEATS ARE LIMITED BOTH ECONOMY AND FIRST CLASS BOOKING INVENTORIES MUST BE AVAILABLE AT TIME OF BOOKING. THESE FARES PERMIT A ONECLASS UPGRADE AT THE TIME OF BOOKING.
Why does this matter? Because if I buy either of these tickets and then I decide that I want to fly an earlier or later flight, these fares will not permit me to walk up to the counter and claim a last-minute F seat if my capacity-controlled inventory is not available. For instance, if that last F seat is in F (not P or A), then I'd have to pay the fare difference in order to confirm a change to that seat.

We can (and have for years and years) argued around here that these fare practices are misleading - and I agree. Nevertheless, AA is most certainly still selling what it considers to be "instant upgrade" fares, and savvy travelers should read the fare rules* and plan accordingly.

*Or at least download them to your hard drive as a pdf at the time of reservation/purchase so that others might help decipher them when things go inverted. So often around here, people post questions where reading the fare rules is vital to an accurate answer, and they respond "who reads/saves those when buying a ticket?"

Back to the OP's question: How to find instant upgrade tickets? Nearly every domestic first class fare I've seen on aa.com is an instant upgrade ticket. Finding a domestic first class fare that isn't an instant upgrade fare is quite a chore. The OP can rest assured that if their fare books in P, A or F, they're going to earn their hoped-for tier points. As Microwave pointed out, the best/correct place for that discussion is in the British Airways forum where there are numerous BAEC members with experience in buying and flying on AA's instant upgrade F tickets.
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: AA "instant upgrade" (-UP, YUP) fare discount First (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2012, 7:28 am

Programs: QF SG, AC, AA
Originally Posted by sukn
Well, this link on aa.com shows that K fares are Discount Economy Class.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/e...quirements.jsp
Thanks for this, sukn It is very helpful.

Originally Posted by KVS
What is the city pair?
BUF-LAS
Old Jul 2, 2012, 9:20 am

Programs: AA Plat, AA 1MM, HHonors DIA
Originally Posted by jrobin
Thanks for this, sukn It is very helpful.

BUF-LAS
Here's the booking class information for an example KUP between BUF and LAS. Note that it is listed as Economy Restricted but books into 'P'.

-Adam

Booking Class Table
Search: Departing BUF on 09/07/12 for LAS
Fare basis code KA0UPPMR
Flying AA
Routing code 90
Booking Class
26 BUFLAS 07SEP12 AA USD 1836.00 KA0UPPMR STAY---/-- BK-P
FARE CLS EXPLANATION BOOK CODES
-------- ---------------------- ----------
KA0UPPMR ECONOMY RESTRICTED FARES P
KA0UPPMR APPLIES FOR ONE WAY FARES
KA0UPPMR FOR ADULT

BOOKING CODE EXCEPTIONS
VIA AA Y PERMITTED FLTS 2700-3399
VIA AA Y PERMITTED FLTS 3400-3449 02JUL11-31DEC19
VIA AA Y PERMITTED FLTS 3450-3599 05APR11-31DEC19
VIA AA P PERMITTED FLTS 3600-3899 05APR11-31DEC19
VIA AA Y PERMITTED FLTS 3900-4574
VIA AA P PERMITTED FLTS 4575-4674 02JUL10-31DEC19
VIA AA Y PERMITTED FLTS 4675-9999
VIA AA P REQUIRED
Old Jul 2, 2012, 2:47 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Arrow

Originally Posted by jrobin
BUF-LAS
There you go:

[KVS Availability Tool 7.0.2/Diamond - Routing Rules: BUF-LAX/AA/KA0UPPMR/1666 USD]
Code:
BUFLAX-AA  2JUL12      *RULE DISPLAY*     TARIFF 0011 RULE 2000 
   -FARE BASIS         USD       TAX       TOTAL    PTC  FT     
KA0UPPMR             774.88     58.12      833.00   ADT  NL     
KA0UPPMR/IN00          0.00      0.00        0.00   INF  NL     
KA0UPPMR             774.88     58.12      833.00   INS  NL     
LR00EKD5        R    866.05     64.95      931.00   CNN  PR     

BOOKING CODES        P                                          

INDUSTRY FARE TYPE -  ER - ECONOMY RESTRICTED

---------------------------------------------------------------

ROUTING   90 FROM-TO  BUF-STL-DFW/CHI-LAX*                      
             FROM-TO  BUF-CHI-STL-LAX*                          
             FROM-TO  BUF-CHI-DFW-LAX*                          
             FROM-TO  BUF-DFW/CHI-LAX*
Old Jul 3, 2012, 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by adamki
Here's the booking class information for an example KUP between BUF and LAS. Note that it is listed as Economy Restricted but books into 'P'.

-Adam
Thanks Adam and KVS. The Accounts Payable person is quite happy now as I flooded her with information supporting it as an Economy Restricted fare.
Jim
Old Jul 3, 2012, 12:56 pm

Any Future for Yup Searching?

Since this is supposedly the "yup-kup-ticket-fare-consolidated" thread, I will try this question here.
Farecompare some months ago stopped supporting searches for all Yup fares out of a specific airport.
I found this site quite helpful in giving my discretionary spending money to AA.
While I understand that Farecompare only stopped supporting such searches "temporarily", the stoppage of support is stretching the limits of many people's definition of "temporarily". Some seem to believe that such searches will never again be supported by Farecompare.
1. Does anyone know if there is any intention by Farecompare to re-enable searches for Yup fares in the near future?
2. If there is no such intention, is there a legal reason for this? or could another group such as Expertflyer or KVS enable such searches?

Last edited by jrobin; Jul 4, 2012 at 11:22 am Reason: clarity
Old Aug 28, 2012, 7:17 pm

Programs: UA 1k
New to AA, what is "instant upgrade"

Is instant upgrade a real fare, or do I need miles or vouchers along with it? The description of cabin on AA is kind of ambiguous.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 7:21 pm

Programs: Many
It is a fare that books into first class directly unless first class is not available in the required inventory on the flights in question. No miles/certs/co-pay required. These are marketed as economy class fares with a free instant upgrade.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 7:23 pm

The instant upgrade is basically the YUP fare. It is a real fare (as opposed to a fake fare?), and you don't need miles or vouchers or anything.

See the thread here. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html
Old Aug 28, 2012, 7:26 pm

Programs: UA 1k
...I ask because I just booked (via a TA) 4 such fares to UFV (St Lucia) over Thanksgiving at what seems a very small premium for 6 hours in the air each way from ORD. Too good to be true kind of thing.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 7:37 pm

Programs: AA PLT, UA Silver, EK Gold, Hilton Diamond, Global Entry, Clear
Originally Posted by latimeriv
...I ask because I just booked (via a TA) 4 such fares to UFV (St Lucia) over Thanksgiving at what seems a very small premium for 6 hours in the air each way from ORD. Too good to be true kind of thing.
It's UVF... Unless you're going to Israel! Somewhere around 450 a person in the past.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Is instant upgrade a real fare, or do I need miles or vouchers along with it? The description of cabin on AA is kind of ambiguous.
In addition to the thread linked above:

Instant Upgrade
What is an 'instant upgrade'?
Instant upgrade question
Instant Upgrade booking class
Instant Upgrade

Before starting a thread, use the search feature to see if there's a recent thread on your topic. Many questions come up repeatedly on FlyerTalk. If you're wondering about a specific Hilton property in Chicago, for example, there's a good chance a thread - or 10 - already exists. The search link is located in the navigation menu near the top of the Forums page. Keeping information on the same topic confined to as few threads as possible helps members quickly find the information they need.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 7:38 pm

If you read the thread that I linked, you can find a lot more about the instant upgrade fare. It is indeed often cheaper than unrestricted Y, and probably not much more than discounted coach. But if you encounter IRROPS, you won't be guaranteed an F/J seat and pax who actually paid for F/J seats will have higher priority than you.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 7:57 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by gemac
In addition to the thread linked above:

Instant Upgrade
What is an 'instant upgrade'?
Instant upgrade question
Instant Upgrade booking class
Instant Upgrade

Before starting a thread, use the search feature to see if there's a recent thread on your topic. Many questions come up repeatedly on FlyerTalk. If you're wondering about a specific Hilton property in Chicago, for example, there's a good chance a thread - or 10 - already exists. The search link is located in the navigation menu near the top of the Forums page. Keeping information on the same topic confined to as few threads as possible helps members quickly find the information they need.
It used to bother me that people didn't search. What bothers me now is people don't even pretend to try.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 7:57 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, AA EXP
Originally Posted by Apieinthesky
If you read the thread that I linked, you can find a lot more about the instant upgrade fare. It is indeed often cheaper than unrestricted Y, and probably not much more than discounted coach. But if you encounter IRROPS, you won't be guaranteed an F/J seat and pax who actually paid for F/J seats will have higher priority than you.
AA does have a compensation policy for such cases:

Q: I purchased an Instant Upgrade ticket and flew in Coach Class. Can I obtain a refund?
A: Instant Upgrade tickets are booked in the Coach cabin. However, Instant upgrade ticketholders who travel in the Coach cabin due to an involuntary seat change, equipment change, routing change, flight cancellation, or missed connection as a result of a late incoming flight may request a travel voucher. The voucher value shall be equal to $0.10 per mile, or $50, whichever is greater, for each flight segment flown in the downgraded cabin. Refunds will be rounded to the nearest whole dollar amount, and can be requested at www.aa.com/refunds.

http://www.aa.com/i18n/utility/FAQs/...ervice_FAQ.jsp
Old Aug 28, 2012, 9:37 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Welcome to AA, and the American AAdvantage Forum. As this is one of the busiest fora, we have consolidated some threads covering topics that are asked about frequently, as well as organized a FAQ sticky and a Wiki. These, and the use of Advanced Search, are very useful, and makes it easier for newer members to find information (rather than attempting to sort through dozens or even hundreds of threads with partial answers).

If you are unfamiliar with Advanced Search, be sure to check the sticky thread in the Technical Support Forum entitled Using the Search Feature on FlyerTalk: The Definitive Thread .

JDiver
Senior Moderator/Moderator: American AAdvantage, iDine, and Talkboard Topics

As to any limitations on "Instant Upgrade" fares, the major one is that, if there is no availability of the fare class on a flight one has been moved to because of irregular operations, one may be given the options of 1) waiting for a flight that offers the A or P fare class, which could be the next day - and if the irrop is weather, the passenger will have to fund hotel, meals, etc. normally; or, 2) fly in coach and take the previously mentioned voucher ($0.10 per mile, or $50, whichever is greater, for each flight segment flown in the downgraded cabin). And, yes, one who booked full First fare will have priority over YUP/KUP fare.

(Over the years I have used these many times, and I've only been forced into a coach cabin once - I could have chosen to RON near DFW on my own dime and take a flight the next day in F or take the next available coach seat, on the same day; I chose the former.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.