Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

What's the stupidest, least substantive thing you can complain about?

Old Dec 4, 2015, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

Thread founder Blumie had the following dedicatory post to kick off the original thread in June of 2010 to guide us, so we will take our cues from that to continue this hallowed FT-AA|A tradition. (FT Rules still apply.)

Originally Posted by Blumie
What's FT if not a place to complain about the small stuff? After all, we've seen threads in which people have complained about virtually everything, from the ceiling height at JAX to the font, ink and paper used to print boarding passes. So I thought I'd start what I hope will become the one of the most valuable and important threads in the history of FT, one in which we consolidate all of our complaints about stuff that just doesn't matter and that validates AA's decision not to have an official presence on this board.

I'll go first: I find it really annoying the way the napkins are fanned before being put out at the Admirals Clubs. Is this supposed to make us feel like the place is uber-fancy? Why don't they just forget about the fanning and put out some real napkins instead of the flimsy cocktail napkins they use?
Older posts have been archived, and may be read here.
Print Wikipost

Old Feb 18, 2014, 8:34 pm
KPT

Programs: JAL Sapphire
The automated phone systems can never figure out I'm pronouncing the letter B, so I have to wait until it gives up
Old Feb 18, 2014, 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by KPT
The automated phone systems can never figure out I'm pronouncing the letter B, so I have to wait until it gives up
You can say "Bravo" and it should detect the correct letter.
Old Feb 18, 2014, 9:05 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Echo Xray Alpha Charlie Tango Lima Yankee.

Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin
You can say "Bravo" and it should detect the correct letter.
Old Feb 18, 2014, 9:15 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Let's remember that this thread is about de minimis complaints, not actionable remedies.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 2:08 am

Programs: AA EXP
Wait... the phonetic pronunciation of Three is "Tree"?
Old Feb 19, 2014, 1:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
^Goodfellas version?
Old Feb 19, 2014, 2:20 pm

Programs: American Airlines
The fact that I can't tell if the pilot blinks 6 or 7 times in 10 seconds while she explains the safety procedures during the pre-flight video. Looks like someone has a strobe light in her face.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 2:24 pm

Programs: Hilton Plastic, Delta Silver Emeritus
I'm not sure if this qualifies, or if it has to be an actual in-flight problem. But, the $25 I spend in the first billing cycle on a new CitiAAdvantage card did not lead to 25 miles posting in my Aadvantage account because it closed before the accounts synced.
Old Feb 24, 2014, 12:29 am

Programs: AA PLT, HYT PLT
Interesting flight 7. Sitting in 12c, place my roller board over 12AB. A few minutes later 12b shows up, grabs my bag puts it in the aisle and places her backpack in its place. I object and she replies that it is her space since its over her seat, despite the constant overhead announcements to place backpacks in the inner overhead compartments. A few words back and forth and she gives in. Then I notice a black bag sitting in the space below the seat infront of me. I then get to look like a jerk and have a conversation with the guy in 11c who boarded before me. He was not happy that I asked him to place his bag overhead, but no argument like 12b. No way I'm flying 8 hours without space to stretch my legs.

I thought those flying in MCE were actually supposed to know some sort of ettiquette. First time I ran into either issue and get them on the same flight.
Old Feb 24, 2014, 7:26 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mialink
I thought those flying in MCE were actually supposed to know some sort of ettiquette.
That was your first mistake.
Old Feb 24, 2014, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Interesting flight 7. Sitting in 12c, place my roller board over 12AB. A few minutes later 12b shows up, grabs my bag puts it in the aisle and places her backpack in its place. I object and she replies that it is her space since its over her seat, despite the constant overhead announcements to place backpacks in the inner overhead compartments. A few words back and forth and she gives in. Then I notice a black bag sitting in the space below the seat infront of me. I then get to look like a jerk and have a conversation with the guy in 11c who boarded before me. He was not happy that I asked him to place his bag overhead, but no argument like 12b. No way I'm flying 8 hours without space to stretch my legs.

I thought those flying in MCE were actually supposed to know some sort of ettiquette. First time I ran into either issue and get them on the same flight.

Sounds like a valid complaint! I got into it with this guy who started moving my bag and squeezing it into a corner and under some other bag(seated in 10 A on the 757). Told him to not touch my stuff and he threw a hissy fit. Ah well - idiots are everywhere
Old Feb 24, 2014, 12:32 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Ah, rollaboard and overhead battles! People are often clueless and feel proprietary about all kinds of spaces they have no right to feel proprietary about. And no, the only requirements for an MCE are status, money or luck - no etiquette or common sense required.

Had exactly that argument with a woman who decided to move and crush my soft Red Oxx carryon. She remained upset and huffy throughout the flight (that was her problem, not mine).

Originally Posted by Antarius
Sounds like a valid complaint! I got into it with this guy who started moving my bag and squeezing it into a corner and under some other bag(seated in 10 A on the 757). Told him to not touch my stuff and he threw a hissy fit. Ah well - idiots are everywhere
Old Feb 24, 2014, 3:27 pm

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Ambraciot
Wait... the phonetic pronunciation of Three is "Tree"?
...and "fow-er" for four?

Must be the Southern version.
Old Feb 24, 2014, 3:36 pm

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
You have to remember that many passengers who end up in MCE are there because they arrived at the airport without seat assignments. That likely happened because there were no free seats available to select online when they made their reservations. Which ones are left at the airport? The ones that normally sell for a premium (MCE/exit row), but were left unsold for that particular flight. AA doesn't move these people to F or J in most circumstances, but they'll certainly put them in MCE seats in Y if they can't put them anywhere else.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 9:23 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
The AA.com home page is currently using an image from Beverly Hills to entice customers to buy tickets to LAX. Don't they know I live about an hour from Beverly Hills by car?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.