Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage eShopping / Cartera Questions / Discussion / Vendors / Issues (archive)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 18, 2015, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
AAdvantage eShoppping by Cartera Commerce
Using, earning miles, problems, etc. (Consolidated thread)

American Airlines is not the contact for Cartera / AAdvantage eShopping .

AAdvantage eShopping FAQs and an e-contact form can be found via the "Contact Us" link at the bottom left corner of the home page.

If you have trouble getting purchases to track, there's also a browser extension to help.

Cartera website: http://www.cartera.com

Cartera Commerce, Inc.
One Cranberry Hill
Lexington, Massachusetts 02421

Tel. (781) 541-6800 Fax: (781) 541-6801

For general inquiries, please contact [email protected] or 888.456.6255
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST (Please do not alter contents following)

This thread is the sole thread to address issues with AAdvantage eShopping (operated by Cartera Commerce). Other queries or complaints will invariably end up merged into this thread. All posts must comply with FlyerTalk Guidelines and Rules / TOS, or may be summarily deleted or edited by moderators.

A related article, highlighting an interview of Cartera Commerce CEO Tom Bercher, is "Secrets of Cartera Commerce Revealed: Inside the Company that Brings You Miles for Online Shopping" by Gary Leff on March 3, 2014. Link.

As described in this thread, AAdvantage Shopping now offers a downloadable button installable on your desktop (not mobile) device to facilitate e-shopping. Link.

Older posts may be read at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...or-consol.html

Notes about Giftcards.com:
  • A separate thread exists for discussing Giftcards.com and likely has more data points than this generic thread.
  • Purchases from giftcards.com earn miles on the first $2,000 spent in the named calendar month, meaning for example between March 1st and March 31st. [Note: as of Aug 2023, the $2k limit is per order, not per purchase]
  • Giftcards.com has had various limits over the years, and it was always by calendar month.
  • Some data points show the $2,000 monthly limit is not always enforced. [Note: as of Aug 2023, the $2k limit is per order, not per purchase]
  • In 2022, larger orders track more slowly, and you may need to wait a full month to see miles. Strong advice from the thread is to make multiple small purchases (say under $300) rather than large ones to avoid the dreaded "manual review"
(Copied from the LP thread wiki): Once you click through the AAdvantage eShopping portal to a vendor offer and make a purchase, you will eventually get the associated miles posted to your AAdvantage account as both redeemable miles and Loyalty Points. If the merchant advertises an increase in the miles per dollar spent, you'll earn the higher amount in both redeemable miles and an equal number of Loyalty Points. The same applies if a merchant advertises a higher fixed amount per purchase, rather than a per dollar amount. Examples of this would appear on the portal as, "Extra miles. Was 1 mile/$. Now earn 3 miles/$" or "Extra miles. Was up to 3700 miles. Now up to 6200 miles." However, if the website advertises a "Limited-time bonus offer" for "bonus miles" after meeting a spending threshold, that bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points. If a bonus is offered for some site-wide activity such as 1000 miles for installing an extension, or 500 miles for enrolling in the portal, or 2000 miles for meeting a spending threshold across multiple merchants, the bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points.

Some anti-virus software silently blocks tracking, and you may want to consider disabling it for your purchase.
Print Wikipost

AAdvantage eShopping / Cartera Questions / Discussion / Vendors / Issues (archive)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2015, 3:17 pm

Location: SoCal; DO-RAGS: Old Gold tagged, PIP, LatPass 1/2, AA 4MM, HH LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, Omni
My disappointment with the portal has been broad both vendor-wise and over time. So much so that I consider any posting without an email a windfall: accordingly I only use them when I can’t think of any better way to link up a purchase I am making anyhow.

That said, the purchase just before Lands’ End, The Apple Store, was likewise seamless, so perhaps either my luck has changed or the site improved.
Old Oct 20, 2015, 3:50 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, 6.0 MM, Marriott LT Platinum
On 9/7 I clicked through the portal to sears.com, and bought a washer and dryer. At 6x points for Labor Day is should come to 7,800+ miles. Last week I contacted them, they sent a link and told me to attach my e-receipt.

Unfortunately the link doesn't work. After selecting a file to attach and submitting it, this comes up:

Authorization Required

You must first log in or register before accessing this page.
If you have forgotten your password, click Forgot Password to reset it.

Powered by force.com

There is no login button to click, or anything else for that matter. Any ideas?
Old Oct 21, 2015, 1:33 am

Originally Posted by ILuvParis
So, are the problems a function of the site or certain retailers? I can honestly say I have never had an issue getting the miles posted on any purchase I've ever made.
In my experience, certain retailers seem to be more problem prone, while others almost always post without issue.
Old Nov 12, 2015, 8:10 am

Programs: AA
1 extra mile per dollar via eShopping portal

I apologize if this has been posted before, but I didn't see it in my search, so I thought I would share.

For those who frequent the AAdvantage eShopping portal, like me, who are also trying to get the current bonus of 5k miles for a $1200 spend, I have been using a way to get extra miles/spend with many stores.

You can purchase gift cards for many merchants through gyft, and use those for your purchases. Gyft currently offers 1 mile per dollar through eShopping. So, if I want to buy something from Sephora, I buy and download a $50 gift card through gyft first. I earn 1 mile per $1 through gyft, and 4 miles per $1 when I redeem that gyft card at Sephora using the portal. This gets me a total of 5 miles per dollar for a purchase I would have made anyway, and doubles my spend toward the bonus from $50 to $100.

My only caution would be not to use this technique for purchases that would otherwise be covered by credit card protections (like electronics - I had to use Amex purchase protection earlier this year, so lesson learned).

Gyft is also having a contest where they are giving away a $100 gift card through facebook shares <removed referral link>.

Hope someone finds this helpful. Happy shopping!

Last edited by Microwave; Nov 12, 2015 at 8:20 am
Old Nov 12, 2015, 8:21 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by AAwayWeGo
I apologize if this has been posted before, but I didn't see it in my search, so I thought I would share.

For those who frequent the AAdvantage eShopping portal, like me, who are also trying to get the current bonus of 5k miles for a $1200 spend, I have been using a way to get extra miles/spend with many stores.

You can purchase gift cards for many merchants through gyft, and use those for your purchases. Gyft currently offers 1 mile per dollar through eShopping. So, if I want to buy something from Sephora, I buy and download a $50 gift card through gyft first. I earn 1 mile per $1 through gyft, and 4 miles per $1 when I redeem that gyft card at Sephora using the portal. This gets me a total of 5 miles per dollar for a purchase I would have made anyway, and doubles my spend toward the bonus from $50 to $100.

My only caution would be not to use this technique for purchases that would otherwise be covered by credit card protections (like electronics - I had to use Amex purchase protection earlier this year, so lesson learned).

Gyft is also having a contest where they are giving away a $100 gift card through facebook shares <removed referral link>.

Hope someone finds this helpful. Happy shopping!
I'm merging this into the existing eShopping thread.

~Moderator
Old Nov 22, 2015, 11:28 am

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Has anyone ever had any luck with buying Levi's through the portal? When I click through to levis.com via AA eShopping, there's no mention of the 12 miles/$ nor are promos shown on the Levi's eShopping page reflected in my cart (there's one for 30% off select styles and another for free shipping for >$50).

In the end it's only about 1000 miles so if this going to be a big headache I'll just use one of the non-AA coupon codes and take the cash discount.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 6:18 pm

Hello. I would like to know if anyone is experiencing tech problems either through the AA site itself or the Best Buy site (via the AA site) of which I am currently on?
Old Dec 13, 2015, 5:36 am

Programs: American Executive Platinum, Delta, Alaska, Hyatt, SPG
Experience with AA shopping portal?

I started using AA's shopping portal this year as a way to rack up more miles. During last Black Friday's promotions I decided to go all in and did most of my Christmas shopping using the portal. With some offers up to 15 miles/$, plus bonus miles I was supposed to get close to 40,000 miles. So far only about 10,000 have been posted to my account. I seem to run into the same problem with all my purchases through the portal. You need to check if they are posted, you need to contact them when they are not (often), you need to send them electronic copies of your receipts, you need to wait some more to know if your miles will get posted. Seems almost like too much work. I was wondering if other people here are having the same experience, or if they get their miles posted automatically, without hassles: the way is supposed to be.
Old Dec 13, 2015, 5:47 am

Programs: AA Plat/2MM, DL Silver, UA Silver (via Marr), Marr LTT, HH Gold (via cc), Hyatt Disc
Yes, long thread on the frustrations with the AA portal (search "Cartera" or "Aadvantage e-shopping"). This is the one I try to avoid due to the issues you cite.
Old Dec 13, 2015, 5:55 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by ErickG
I started using AA's shopping portal this year as a way to rack up more miles. During last Black Friday's promotions I decided to go all in and did most of my Christmas shopping using the portal. With some offers up to 15 miles/$, plus bonus miles I was supposed to get close to 40,000 miles. So far only about 10,000 have been posted to my account. I seem to run into the same problem with all my purchases through the portal. You need to check if they are posted, you need to contact them when they are not (often), you need to send them electronic copies of your receipts, you need to wait some more to know if your miles will get posted. Seems almost like too much work. I was wondering if other people here are having the same experience, or if they get their miles posted automatically, without hassles: the way is supposed to be.
I'm going to go ahead and merge this into the extant thread on this topic.

~Moderator
Old Dec 13, 2015, 10:56 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
FWIW my last experience with the shopping portal was with 123InkJets.com and I got the miles in about a week. I was shocked.
Old Dec 13, 2015, 2:01 pm

Programs: 3.2MM AA, 1.4MM UA,StwdLftPlt
Originally Posted by CMK10
FWIW my last experience with the shopping portal was with 123InkJets.com and I got the miles in about a week. I was shocked.
After years of being a poster child for horrid customer service, failed credits, etc, they-Cartera-seem to be cleaning up their act. Stuff is crediting much more routinely and the eventual posting to the account has stepped up dramatically.
Old Dec 15, 2015, 10:26 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Another data point. Miles for e-Bags posted today for a purchase I made on 12/8 ^
Old Jan 15, 2016, 5:02 pm

Did anyone get the 5000 AAdvantage miles that were offered after $1200 spend on the AAdvantage shopping site as part of the Nov 2015 Holiday Promo ?
Old Jan 16, 2016, 4:22 pm

Anyone? I am curious too as I haven't gotten any

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.