Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage eShopping / Cartera Questions / Discussion / Vendors / Issues (archive)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 18, 2015, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
AAdvantage eShoppping by Cartera Commerce
Using, earning miles, problems, etc. (Consolidated thread)

American Airlines is not the contact for Cartera / AAdvantage eShopping .

AAdvantage eShopping FAQs and an e-contact form can be found via the "Contact Us" link at the bottom left corner of the home page.

If you have trouble getting purchases to track, there's also a browser extension to help.

Cartera website: http://www.cartera.com

Cartera Commerce, Inc.
One Cranberry Hill
Lexington, Massachusetts 02421

Tel. (781) 541-6800 Fax: (781) 541-6801

For general inquiries, please contact [email protected] or 888.456.6255
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST (Please do not alter contents following)

This thread is the sole thread to address issues with AAdvantage eShopping (operated by Cartera Commerce). Other queries or complaints will invariably end up merged into this thread. All posts must comply with FlyerTalk Guidelines and Rules / TOS, or may be summarily deleted or edited by moderators.

A related article, highlighting an interview of Cartera Commerce CEO Tom Bercher, is "Secrets of Cartera Commerce Revealed: Inside the Company that Brings You Miles for Online Shopping" by Gary Leff on March 3, 2014. Link.

As described in this thread, AAdvantage Shopping now offers a downloadable button installable on your desktop (not mobile) device to facilitate e-shopping. Link.

Older posts may be read at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...or-consol.html

Notes about Giftcards.com:
  • A separate thread exists for discussing Giftcards.com and likely has more data points than this generic thread.
  • Purchases from giftcards.com earn miles on the first $2,000 spent in the named calendar month, meaning for example between March 1st and March 31st. [Note: as of Aug 2023, the $2k limit is per order, not per purchase]
  • Giftcards.com has had various limits over the years, and it was always by calendar month.
  • Some data points show the $2,000 monthly limit is not always enforced. [Note: as of Aug 2023, the $2k limit is per order, not per purchase]
  • In 2022, larger orders track more slowly, and you may need to wait a full month to see miles. Strong advice from the thread is to make multiple small purchases (say under $300) rather than large ones to avoid the dreaded "manual review"
(Copied from the LP thread wiki): Once you click through the AAdvantage eShopping portal to a vendor offer and make a purchase, you will eventually get the associated miles posted to your AAdvantage account as both redeemable miles and Loyalty Points. If the merchant advertises an increase in the miles per dollar spent, you'll earn the higher amount in both redeemable miles and an equal number of Loyalty Points. The same applies if a merchant advertises a higher fixed amount per purchase, rather than a per dollar amount. Examples of this would appear on the portal as, "Extra miles. Was 1 mile/$. Now earn 3 miles/$" or "Extra miles. Was up to 3700 miles. Now up to 6200 miles." However, if the website advertises a "Limited-time bonus offer" for "bonus miles" after meeting a spending threshold, that bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points. If a bonus is offered for some site-wide activity such as 1000 miles for installing an extension, or 500 miles for enrolling in the portal, or 2000 miles for meeting a spending threshold across multiple merchants, the bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points.

Some anti-virus software silently blocks tracking, and you may want to consider disabling it for your purchase.
Print Wikipost

AAdvantage eShopping / Cartera Questions / Discussion / Vendors / Issues (archive)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2014, 8:34 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Ambraciot
Anyone have issues with large purchases? I'm going to buy an $11-12k item from a 3 miles/$ store in a few weeks and I'm trying to choose a portal.
Should not be a problem. Home Depot on AA for large purchases has worked well for me, even when HD was offering increased bonus miles. IIRC, 6 not the typical 3 miles / $. Read the fine print to ensure that any promo / coupon you may use does not void the miles being credited.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 9:36 am

Programs: AA LT Gold SPG Gold ($30K AMEX)
Cartera denies my 2000 miles for an FTD purchase.

Looking for FlyerTalk wisdom on whether I should drop my pursuit of 2000 miles with Cartera per their September 2013 Promotion or continue (and if so where to).

September 6, 2013 – I receive promotion of spending $35 or more at any of the more than 900 retailers.

September 20, 2013 – I spent $40 excluding shipping and taxes at FTD
I did not receive the miles because Cartera says FTD is an excluded merchant per their Terms & Conditions.

After filling out Catera’s form, I received an email on February 18th “your FTD purchase was made through a direct offer that American Airlines has made available to its members.”

The email also said the Terms and Conditions of “Returns, shipping, taxes, gift card purchases, and certain products are not eligible for bonus; please see site details on any coupon code details or usage restrictions.”

I responded that (1) I did not make the purchase directly but clicked the email “Shop Now” and purchased FTD through the Cartera Advantage Portal. (2) The September Terms and Conditions did not specifically exclude FTD whereas the promotions since then (e.g. December) have (see below).

Today the agent responded that they understand the confusion, which is why they now explicitly state FTD is excluded (but the agent still did not award the miles).

Should I press on or drop it? Thanks.

The Terms & Conditions for the December promotion specifically exclude FTD (http://loyaltylobby.com/2013/12/07/a...for-250-spend/) - “Purchases made at FTD.com through the AAdvantage eShopping mall, returns, shipping, taxes, gift card purchases, and certain products are not eligible for bonus; please see site for coupon code or usage restrictions”.

But the Terms & Conditions for the September promotion did not specifically exclude FTD (http://loyaltylobby.com/2013/09/07/a...0-bonus-miles/) “Returns, shipping, taxes, gift card purchases, and certain products are not eligible for bonus; please see site details on any coupon code details or usage restrictions.”
Old Feb 26, 2014, 10:21 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by FlyerMC

Should I press on or drop it? Thanks.
No problem with firing off another email, perhaps one that states how often you shop through the portal. There's a fair chance they'll reverse their earlier decision, but it may take 4+ weeks.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 2:01 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold SPG Gold ($30K AMEX)
A little persistence paid off. I received a follow-up awarding the 2000 miles:

Thank you for contacting AAdvantage eShopping SM. Thank you for your patience regarding this matter. Your case has been escalated to my attention.
I have added the 2000 bonus miles to your account. Those should post within the next 4 weeks.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
AA eshopping not available now.

Anyone getting on to the site to shop?

I need to place an order.

Thx.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i was finally able to get on the site of AA eshopping and organize my orders. Long delay in getting the site to work. I hope this is not an omen.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 5:25 pm

Programs: AA EXPLT, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), HHonors Gold, AMEX PLT, UA Silver, National EXC
Still no bonus posted from November. Remembered it and emailed again. I got my original miles from the purchase, just not the 750 bonus.
Old May 22, 2014, 7:45 pm

Problem with missing AA miles

Please advise where one can resolve a problem with missing miles with American Airlines, besides the Dept of Transportation, and AA headquarters?

6500 miles missing, and AA claims that AT&T e-commerce orders dept is responsible for sending the miles over to the Aadvantage e shopping site, a company which contracts with AA. The Aadvantage dept claims they do not control miles being credited on the shopping site, says AAdavantage customer service?

After 30 days of the Android cell phone purchase, neither AA, nor AT&T, takes responsibility to fix the problem! I was just making a purchase on the AA e-shopping site to gain miles, to someday use miles for a trip!

Any suggestions?
Old May 22, 2014, 7:53 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

As American Airlines and US Airways are still operating as distinct airlines, this question is being moved to the appropriate pre-merger airline forum. As there is a lengthy existing thread, this will be merged into it; you will see you are, unfortunately, not alone.

Please note the sticky at the top of the consolidated thread which is titled Welcome to the New American Airlines Forum! PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING. With all of the changes about, it is important to know where to post, and reading that thread before posting (as the title suggests ) will help get you in the right place.

~Moderator
Old Jun 25, 2014, 4:03 pm

"Congratulations! You're a VIP shopper"

Was this in everyone's email?
Old Jun 25, 2014, 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by nall
"Congratulations! You're a VIP shopper"

Was this in everyone's email?
Not mine. You must be a REAL VIP
Old Oct 14, 2014, 8:19 am

Question, I bought two pairs of pants and a sweater from Old Navy via the AA shopping portal. The miles are showing up as pending in my account. The pants are fine, however, the sweater doesn't fit. If I return or exchange it, will I lose the credit for the entire purchase? Would just returning it for a store credit instead of getting the credit back on my AMEX make a difference?

This was going to push me up to the next level for the fall 2000 bonus point promotion, so I'm a little more concerned about it than I normally would be, but I also don't want to keep a $40 sweater that doesn't fit.

The T&C are vague, so just wondered if anyone had any experience.

Thanks!
Old Oct 14, 2014, 10:34 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Lyssa
Question, I bought two pairs of pants and a sweater from Old Navy via the AA shopping portal. The miles are showing up as pending in my account. The pants are fine, however, the sweater doesn't fit. If I return or exchange it, will I lose the credit for the entire purchase? Would just returning it for a store credit instead of getting the credit back on my AMEX make a difference?

This was going to push me up to the next level for the fall 2000 bonus point promotion, so I'm a little more concerned about it than I normally would be, but I also don't want to keep a $40 sweater that doesn't fit.

The T&C are vague, so just wondered if anyone had any experience.

Thanks!
In my experience, I returned several items to stores over the years and still received my miles credit. I dont know if they've fixed it over the past year or not, however.

If truly worried about it, just bring it in for an exchange without a receipt... then there's no record of it anywhere.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 7:18 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Miles & Smiles (TK0) and others
I just got the 1K promo miles from the August Las Vegas promotion. My fridge died and I bought a new one at Sears by clicking through the AAdvantage site. The mileage bonus eased a bit of the pain I experienced after no refrigeration for 9 days in summer and having to buy a new one at high expense.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Miles are posting fine for me and the 1,000 mile bonus posted with a date in late September.

This is still well worth doing for a shopping portal.

Easy to keep AA miles 'alive'.

Still possible to avoid paying state sales tax via many online stores.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.