Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage eShopping / Cartera Questions / Discussion / Vendors / Issues (archive)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 18, 2015, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
AAdvantage eShoppping by Cartera Commerce
Using, earning miles, problems, etc. (Consolidated thread)

American Airlines is not the contact for Cartera / AAdvantage eShopping .

AAdvantage eShopping FAQs and an e-contact form can be found via the "Contact Us" link at the bottom left corner of the home page.

If you have trouble getting purchases to track, there's also a browser extension to help.

Cartera website: http://www.cartera.com

Cartera Commerce, Inc.
One Cranberry Hill
Lexington, Massachusetts 02421

Tel. (781) 541-6800 Fax: (781) 541-6801

For general inquiries, please contact [email protected] or 888.456.6255
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST (Please do not alter contents following)

This thread is the sole thread to address issues with AAdvantage eShopping (operated by Cartera Commerce). Other queries or complaints will invariably end up merged into this thread. All posts must comply with FlyerTalk Guidelines and Rules / TOS, or may be summarily deleted or edited by moderators.

A related article, highlighting an interview of Cartera Commerce CEO Tom Bercher, is "Secrets of Cartera Commerce Revealed: Inside the Company that Brings You Miles for Online Shopping" by Gary Leff on March 3, 2014. Link.

As described in this thread, AAdvantage Shopping now offers a downloadable button installable on your desktop (not mobile) device to facilitate e-shopping. Link.

Older posts may be read at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...or-consol.html

Notes about Giftcards.com:
  • A separate thread exists for discussing Giftcards.com and likely has more data points than this generic thread.
  • Purchases from giftcards.com earn miles on the first $2,000 spent in the named calendar month, meaning for example between March 1st and March 31st. [Note: as of Aug 2023, the $2k limit is per order, not per purchase]
  • Giftcards.com has had various limits over the years, and it was always by calendar month.
  • Some data points show the $2,000 monthly limit is not always enforced. [Note: as of Aug 2023, the $2k limit is per order, not per purchase]
  • In 2022, larger orders track more slowly, and you may need to wait a full month to see miles. Strong advice from the thread is to make multiple small purchases (say under $300) rather than large ones to avoid the dreaded "manual review"
(Copied from the LP thread wiki): Once you click through the AAdvantage eShopping portal to a vendor offer and make a purchase, you will eventually get the associated miles posted to your AAdvantage account as both redeemable miles and Loyalty Points. If the merchant advertises an increase in the miles per dollar spent, you'll earn the higher amount in both redeemable miles and an equal number of Loyalty Points. The same applies if a merchant advertises a higher fixed amount per purchase, rather than a per dollar amount. Examples of this would appear on the portal as, "Extra miles. Was 1 mile/$. Now earn 3 miles/$" or "Extra miles. Was up to 3700 miles. Now up to 6200 miles." However, if the website advertises a "Limited-time bonus offer" for "bonus miles" after meeting a spending threshold, that bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points. If a bonus is offered for some site-wide activity such as 1000 miles for installing an extension, or 500 miles for enrolling in the portal, or 2000 miles for meeting a spending threshold across multiple merchants, the bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points.

Some anti-virus software silently blocks tracking, and you may want to consider disabling it for your purchase.
Print Wikipost

AAdvantage eShopping / Cartera Questions / Discussion / Vendors / Issues (archive)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2016, 9:49 am

Originally Posted by Max M
Any returns for products purchased via the AAdvantage eShopping portal will mean a deduction in your AAdvantage account for the items returned.

Cartera has perfected the return process to where they know when an item which earned portal miles has been returned-- including any promotional threshold spend bonus-- with nearly 100% accuracy--so it's not a matter of *if* miles for a return will be deducted from AAdvantage account-- but *when* it will actually happen.

In some instances this process can take up to 2 months-- sometimes even longer-- after a return occurs--- having had this personally happen.

Would the number of miles earned from the Neiman Marcus be greater than your current account balance?

While I don't work for Cartera or AA, I think it's safe to say, if your answer to the previous question is "Yes", and your AAdvantage balance currently has less miles in it than the number of miles originally earned on the returned item(s)-- including any promotional threshold spend bonus-- all of the miles in your account would be deducted, until where you have a 0 account balance-- perhaps others would be able to elaborate if it's possible to have a negative AAdvantage account balance as a result of such a case like this...

Thanks for your response! If I return my item, my account would be negative 2000 miles. I have a trip in January that will give me 5k miles. I'm wondering if I can prolong it for a couple of months. Neiman marcus has a very generous return policy, but if returning this is going to significantly cause issues, then I would probably keep my fancy wallet.
Old Sep 16, 2016, 1:14 pm

Edit: I think I'm just gonna keep my fancy wallet!
Old Sep 18, 2016, 7:19 am

Originally Posted by scubamom
They should just put Walgreen on the Drugstore website since it is such a good one, easy to navigate, order, etc. I LOVE "your list"! So easy to reorder stuff. The Walgreen website leaves much to be desired, but I suppose I can find most things there. Lately, I've actually been ordering from Walmart's website (not a great one either), but have found stuff 1/4 the price of Amazon! AND free shipping or really cheap shipping. What a deal.

Ordered twice from Jet.com and guess what? Both orders were cancelled since "the items were no longer available". REALLY? Lordy, I'm afraid to mess around looking for things there now.

If Amazon gave miles, we could fly around the world twice! :-) But since I'm such a mileage freak, I'll often order from outfits that give out miles.
I'm surprised you find prices to be 1/4 to that of Amazon. I used to place large regular orders from Drugstore.com to save money and earn lots of miles. After they were acquired, the prices weren't competitive except on rare occasions with a "come back to us" coupon. Even now with their so-called clearance, the prices are still higher than Amazon or Walmart. What kind of clearance is that? It seems clear Walgreens bought them to shut them down. Maybe that's their underlying plan with the RiteAid buyout too.
Old Oct 10, 2016, 10:15 pm

Is the Cartera shopping portal points earned based on when the link is clicked (shopping website opens up) or when the purchase is completed? I logged onto my portal for a Saks purchase a few minutes before midnight EST when the portal still showed 15 miles/dollar. I clicked the link and the website opened at 11:56 PM, but by the time I completed the purchase, it was 12:02. After the transaction was complete, I checked the portal and it was back down to 3x. Which one should I expect to earn?
Old Oct 11, 2016, 9:38 am

Programs: Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by DaveInLA
Is the Cartera shopping portal points earned based on when the link is clicked (shopping website opens up) or when the purchase is completed? I logged onto my portal for a Saks purchase a few minutes before midnight EST when the portal still showed 15 miles/dollar. I clicked the link and the website opened at 11:56 PM, but by the time I completed the purchase, it was 12:02. After the transaction was complete, I checked the portal and it was back down to 3x. Which one should I expect to earn?
IME, 3x (when the transaction is completed) since you hadn't paid for anything by the time the former 15x offer expired. Then again, there's a chance you'll get lucky and 15x will be credited.
Old Oct 11, 2016, 2:47 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Originally Posted by DaveInLA
Don't know the specific answer for you, but next time change the time zone of your computer, which CAN work vs. a variety of deadlines. This is best left at this level of exposure.
Old Oct 11, 2016, 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by Firewind
Don't know the specific answer for you, but next time change the time zone of your computer, which CAN work vs. a variety of deadlines. This is best left at this level of exposure.
I'm actually in CA so my computer actually showed 9:02 PM when the transaction was completed. The the portal reverted back to the lower payout amount. I'll let you guys know what happens-- if I get paid at all. My purchase was for gift cards. In the past, Saks paid out for gift cards, but things may have changed in the past year.
Old Nov 25, 2016, 8:10 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Adorama:

I spent $450 in late August at Adorama.com, and the miles never posted. I read thru the FAQs, and I can't seem to find any type of form, or page to request missing miles.

Any thoughts?

Thanx!

Dave
Old Nov 25, 2016, 9:50 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG GLD, Starbucks (SBUX) Super Duper Executive Gold Global Priority Platinum Prestige
Originally Posted by davetravels
Adorama:

I spent $450 in late August at Adorama.com, and the miles never posted. I read thru the FAQs, and I can't seem to find any type of form, or page to request missing miles.

Any thoughts?

Thanx!

Dave
Use their "contact us" page and follow their instructions: https://www.aadvantageeshopping.com/contact____.htm

My missing miles usually take 1-2 weeks to post after they approve
Old Nov 25, 2016, 10:08 am

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by sudden729
Use their "contact us" page and follow their instructions: https://www.aadvantageeshopping.com/contact____.htm

My missing miles usually take 1-2 weeks to post after they approve
Thanx a million! I looked everywhere for that! Form submitted.

The funny thing is that, I bought 2 items. A laptop, and a monitor. The monitor is still in the box, and the main item - the laptop - I absolutely HATE - which of course, isn't their fault!!! (an Asus) I have already bought a Lenovo that works great!

So, I'll probably give the laptop to a friend who needs one, but, I figure that, at the very LEAST, I could hope for a few miles!

I'll try'n remember to post when the miles credit.

Update:

When I filed the missing miles report, about 4 hours ago, I got the standard robo-reply that they received my claim.

JUST NOW - ONLY 4 hours later, I got a response from a seemingly live person, that they will investigate my claim and get back to me. Not bad, on the day after a legal holiday!

Last edited by davetravels; Nov 25, 2016 at 2:09 pm
Old Dec 10, 2016, 10:16 am

A follow-up to my post above . . . .

As I posted above, I got an eMail reply <seemingly> from a human within a few hours of filing my missing mileage request that, they would investigate my claim. Five days later, (Nov 30) I got another eMail stating that Adorama had indeed "paid the commission for the miles, and that the miles are in the final stages of the process to post to my account. Please allow a few weeks for posting to be complete."

I just happened to check my account today, and - VOILA - my 449 valuable AAdvantage miles are there!

The process was incredibly easy!
Old Jan 5, 2017, 10:56 am

Anyone ever have the terms update on them for the merchant and their order not be eligible anymore? Do you take screenshots of the terms? Archive.org doesnt have archives of the merchant pages.
Old May 22, 2017, 11:27 pm

I made a purchase through the portal a few days ago. However, when I try to go to the My Account page to see if my transaction was recorded, I keep getting the "internal error! Please try again later" message. Is anyone else experiencing the same error?
Old Jun 25, 2017, 9:26 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, HH DIA, Hertz PC, GE + Pre✓, Amazon Super Special Prime
Has anyone used the portal to book a hotel reservation on Booking.com?

At 5mi/$ right now, so for B&B properties we wanted to stay at in Ireland - seemed like a great way to at least get some "bonus" out of it.

We didn't have to pay for rooms up front, so no transaction/charge to speak of right now. Not sure how these miles will post opposed to purchasing a non-refundable room on the site. Any experiences?

I do see this disclaimer under the aadvantage shopping landing page before proceeding to the site: "Not eligible until 45-60 days after reservations have been fulfilled. Not eligible on multiple bookings for the same hotel stay. Not eligible on transactions made without a valid email address or credit card. It is at the discretion of the retailer to deem whether a transaction is valid. Eligible on the room rate; not eligible on any taxes, service fees, VAT or other hotel facility costs, including restaurant and spa."
Old Jun 25, 2017, 1:17 pm

Programs: AS 75k
Originally Posted by jtav559
Has anyone used the portal to book a hotel reservation on Booking.com?

At 5mi/$ right now, so for B&B properties we wanted to stay at in Ireland - seemed like a great way to at least get some "bonus" out of it.

We didn't have to pay for rooms up front, so no transaction/charge to speak of right now. Not sure how these miles will post opposed to purchasing a non-refundable room on the site. Any experiences?

I do see this disclaimer under the aadvantage shopping landing page before proceeding to the site: "Not eligible until 45-60 days after reservations have been fulfilled. Not eligible on multiple bookings for the same hotel stay. Not eligible on transactions made without a valid email address or credit card. It is at the discretion of the retailer to deem whether a transaction is valid. Eligible on the room rate; not eligible on any taxes, service fees, VAT or other hotel facility costs, including restaurant and spa."
I booked through the portal on 4 booking.com hotel or B&B stays in New Zealand and Australia 1 and 2 years ago. None were pre-paid or non-refundable and the miles for each of them posted in the 45-60 day period after the stays had been completed without any effort on my part. I never could figure out if any charges other than the room earned miles, but it seemed like there might have been some. Probably because I tend to think of the miles as a "surprise" bonus since they typically show up 6 months or so after I made the reservation and long after I've forgotten that I used the portal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.