Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Questions on BankDirect, now Bask Bank (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 8, 2021, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: funnyfarm299
Miles usually post on Bask website on the second business day of the month, to AA a day or 2 later.

Check the "Rewards" section of your Bask dashboard or the Recent Activity section of your AA account.

Current earn rate as of June 2023: 2.5 miles/dollar/year, awarded monthly (no LP's).
Print Wikipost

Questions on BankDirect, now Bask Bank (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2010, 10:58 am

Assuming you are thinking of opening a Mileage Checking account, BankDirect doesn't have any hidden fees or charges other than what's listed here, ($15 monthly fee and no interest paid, for balances less than $2500.)

I have wired lots of money into my BD accounts at no charge.

If you're interested in a referral, I'm available for a PM.
Old May 15, 2010, 7:29 am

Programs: AAdvantage 1MM+ GOLD, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by koctail
I'm considering signing up. What about fees. Do they charge a fee if you don't carry a certain $ balance? Or other hidden fees? The reason I ask is I asked about transfers and this was the answer they gave me.

"BankDirect is a receiver. We would be able receive a wire from an institution and you would be able to wire out. There is a fee($15) for outgoing wires. You can mail in your deposits, we do have prepaid postage envelopes available that we can provide. Please contact us at 1-877-839-2737 if you need further assistance."
Have not tried wire transfers but, ACH transactions in and out (initiated from my Bank of America and ING Direct accounts) haven't incurred any charges for me at BankDirect.

Please PM me if you need a referral.
Old May 17, 2010, 12:47 pm

Programs: A little bit of miles and points scattered everywhere
so i went ahead and signed up. im going to be mailing a check in as my bank (wells fargo) charges $3 for bank to bank transfers. The very odd part is that in the instructions it says to make the check payable to BankDirect??? Huh?
Old May 17, 2010, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by koctail
so i went ahead and signed up. im going to be mailing a check in as my bank (wells fargo) charges $3 for bank to bank transfers. The very odd part is that in the instructions it says to make the check payable to BankDirect??? Huh?
Yeah, they say that, as do many other banks. But I always just write the check out to myself and endorse the back with "For Deposit Only" and I haven't had a problem.
Old May 17, 2010, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by josephstern
Yeah, they say that, as do many other banks. But I always just write the check out to myself and endorse the back with "For Deposit Only" and I haven't had a problem.
that is what i always have done as well. ive never been asked to make it payable to the bank.
Old Jun 16, 2010, 4:39 pm

i see that bankdirect reimburses 4 atm fees of $2.50 per month, which is very nice. does anyone know the fee in CA that the large banks usually charge for using their ATM's...Wells Fargo, Chase, BofA, Citibank?
Old Jun 26, 2010, 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by Alfonso XIV
It all depends on how much a mile is worth to you, and your marginal tax bracket.

Assuming a 33% tax bracket, and an alternative account that could pay you 2.25%, you'd have to value a mile at 1.85¢ or higher for the BankDirect account to be the better investment.

Remember that the miles earned represent a tax-free return.

Some formulae worked out to analyze these accounts were previously discussed in this thread.

"Remember that the miles earned represent a tax-free return."

Do you get a 1099 MISC fro the miles?

If so especially at AA's artifically high valuation then it negates the miles.

I heard about a sweepstakes winner getting oe million miles and it would come with a $25,000 1099 MISC

He decided to decline the "prize"
Old Jun 26, 2010, 5:48 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Originally Posted by writetorich
I heard about a sweepstakes winner getting oe million miles and it would come with a $25,000 1099 MISC. He decided to decline the "prize"
If someone gave me a 1099 Misc for 25k for 1MM miles, it represents a tax cost of 10,000$ for me. I would take it at once.

I would get 1cpm value in after tax cost. would get 4 VIPs easily worth 1000$. If not MM already, I would get exit rows for life. I would have enough for 6 OW150 awards and 1 FC r/t to EU. or 7 r/t trips to Asia from US 135 miles each, or 5 F awards to Asia or A/NZ. That would be enough to take me everywhere I need to go for a while. All this for 10k in Cash? sign me up!
Old Jun 26, 2010, 10:06 pm
Original Member

After sending in the initial balance to fund the account which is subject to a 9 day hold...what other ways can you fund this account? (mail deposits by check?, ACH, wire?) Is it also subject to 9 day holds?

Which banks will allow you to do ACH transfers (small to big) amounts as most banks only allow 2K per day?

I'm interested in the names of which banks you use to fund and move money into and out of BD?

Thanks.
Old Jun 26, 2010, 11:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sggolf
After sending in the initial balance to fund the account which is subject to a 9 day hold...what other ways can you fund this account? (mail deposits by check?, ACH, wire?) Is it also subject to 9 day holds?

Which banks will allow you to do ACH transfers (small to big) amounts as most banks only allow 2K per day?

I'm interested in the names of which banks you use to fund and move money into and out of BD?

Thanks.
With Vanguard, I can ACH in. I haven't tried going out, but I'm pretty sure I can.
Old Jun 27, 2010, 6:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Originally Posted by writetorich
Do you get a 1099 MISC fro the miles?
no.
Old Sep 3, 2010, 8:16 am

Programs: AA (LT Plat, ex-ConciergeKey), SPG (Plat), DL (Diamond), Marquis Jet Card
BankDirect just posted 4x the miles they should have to my AA account this month. Anybody else notice this?

I was expecting 100k and got almost 400k. Woohoo, until they fix it.
Old Sep 3, 2010, 8:27 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM
Originally Posted by modern
BankDirect just posted 4x the miles they should have to my AA account this month. Anybody else notice this?

Hopefully the extra is enough to push you over 2MM for LT PLT. If BD subsequently take back the 300k, I would guess LT PLT would not be revoked!
Old Sep 3, 2010, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beerup
Hopefully the extra is enough to push you over 2MM for LT PLT. If BD subsequently take back the 300k, I would guess LT PLT would not be revoked!
I'm over 1MM, but I would have been with the right amount anyway.

I was kinda hoping we'd keep this all quiet, of course.
Old Sep 3, 2010, 9:19 am

Programs: FB Platinum, AA Plat/2MM, SPG Plat/LT Gold
Originally Posted by modern

Originally Posted by josephstern
I'm over 1MM, but I would have been with the right amount anyway.

I was kinda hoping we'd keep this all quiet, of course.
I was stunned when I checked my AA account this morning, could not imagine what the heck had posted when I saw the total. BD is aware of the 4x posting and is making a correction of 3x the amount posted.

Wrong thread, but congrats on crossing 1MM, josephstern!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.