Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Discrepancy between QF and CX award search and AA availability

Discrepancy between QF and CX award search and AA availability

Old Dec 9, 2011, 12:18 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Arrow

Originally Posted by Austinrunner
By way of an update from the http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...advantage.html thread:

Originally Posted by KVS
Following the recent introduction of the new [Awards/JL-OneWorld] Method in the KVS Tool V6.5.0, its Award Availability data for Cathay Pacific should be considered to be most authoritative for the purposes of partner (incl. AADV) redemptions on CX:

http://Help.KVSTool.com/#AwardUpgradeClasses_OneWorld
Old Dec 9, 2011, 7:37 pm
Suspended

The same can be done for free on the JL website.
Old Mar 2, 2012, 4:46 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, UA 1K, BA Gold, AF Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Plat
Question Cathay Redemption Availability different from carrier to carrier?

I'm trying to redeem my AA points for 2 seats HKG-JFK on Cathay.

Although there are more than 2 T economy redemption seats Cathay offers to their Asia Miles/ Marco Polo members, only 1 X economy redemption seat was showing up on AA's screens.

This is quite unlike Star Alliance where general redemption availability does not differ from carrier to carrier (hence the prevalence of the ANA search tool)

Anyone can speak to this?
Old Mar 2, 2012, 4:56 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Thread merged with existing discussion of CX award discrepancies. Thanks! /Moderator
Old Mar 2, 2012, 6:38 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Question

Originally Posted by ultrasoul
I'm trying to redeem my AA points for 2 seats HKG-JFK on Cathay.

Although there are more than 2 T economy redemption seats Cathay offers to their Asia Miles/ Marco Polo members, only 1 X economy redemption seat was showing up on AA's screens.

This is quite unlike Star Alliance where general redemption availability does not differ from carrier to carrier (hence the prevalence of the ANA search tool)

Anyone can speak to this?
What is the flight #/date in question?
Old Sep 13, 2013, 11:17 am

Anybody aware of qantas.com showing phantom AA seat availability? qantas.com shows 4 AUS-ORD AA flights with economy availability on June 26, 2014. aa.com indicates that none of these are available as MileSAAver awards.

Is it possible that these seats are available using AA miles but just not displaying on aa.com? If not available using AA miles, how are they available to Qantas frequent flyers?
Old Sep 13, 2013, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by longhornmike
Anybody aware of qantas.com showing phantom AA seat availability? qantas.com shows 4 AUS-ORD AA flights with economy availability on June 26, 2014. aa.com indicates that none of these are available as MileSAAver awards.

Is it possible that these seats are available using AA miles but just not displaying on aa.com? If not available using AA miles, how are they available to Qantas frequent flyers?
I am aware of occasional reports of qantas.com reporting phantom seat availability. Usually, it's more of a problem with CX / IB availability, but I think I have seen at least one or two cases where, AA award flights are shown as available, but are not actually available.

It never hurts to double check by calling AA up, even though AA.com is usually very good about displaying most availability.
Old Sep 14, 2013, 9:21 am
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Arrow

Originally Posted by longhornmike

Is it possible that these seats are available using AA miles but just not displaying on aa.com?
AA's systems are reporting no Standard Y Award Availability on those flights, only F:

[KVS Availability Tool 7.2.5/Diamond - Awards/JL-OneWorld/US]
Code:
AUS  Austin Bergstrom Intl TX US [KAUS]
ORD  Chicago O'Hare Intl IL US [KORD]
THU  26 Jun 2014

Carrier    Flight  From  Depart    To    Arrive    A/C  St  Availability
---------  ------  ----  --------  ----  --------  ---  --  -------------
AA         1614    AUS   06:10     ORD   08:45     S80  0   FS4  CS/  YS0
AA         368     AUS   09:15     ORD   11:50     S80  0   FS4  CS/  YS0
AA         2486    AUS   12:45     ORD   15:25     S80  0   FS4  CS/  YS0
AA         2402    AUS   16:45     ORD   19:25     S80  0   FS4  CS/  YS0
AA         2212    AUS   07:10     DFW   08:15     S80  0   FS4  CS/  YS0
 -> AA     2332    DFW   09:20     ORD   11:35     S80  0   FS0  CS/  YS0
Old Sep 23, 2013, 2:14 am

I found economy tickets available on Cathay Pacific from Hong Kong to LAX on October 27th. The BA website still shows 4 available on two different flights that day. However, when I called AA to book the tickets, they say they are not showing any availability on that route then. I called back a couple of hours later with the same result. Any idea what I can do? Keep trying? My travel dates are limited and JAL and CX are the only Asia carriers with Oneworld.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 7:03 am

I'd keep trying. I see BA, CX, and JL all show availability on both 884 and 880 while QF shows neither. Good luck.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 12:52 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Arrow

Originally Posted by savedbyhim01
I found economy tickets available on Cathay Pacific from Hong Kong to LAX on October 27th. The BA website still shows 4 available on two different flights that day. However, when I called AA to book the tickets, they say they are not showing any availability on that route then. I called back a couple of hours later with the same result. Any idea what I can do? Keep trying?
Those Award Seat are definitely available -- for tips on dealing with Agents, who may claim otherwise, please see http://Help.KVSTool.com/#AgentSaysNo

Code:
HKG  Hong Kong Intl HK [VHHH]
LAX  Los Angeles Intl CA US [KLAX]
SUN  27 Oct 2013

CX         884     HKG   13:05     LAX   10:40     77W  0   FS0  CS0  YS4
CX         882     HKG   16:35     LAX   14:05     77W  0   FS0  CS0  YS0
CX         880     HKG   23:55     LAX   21:30     77W  0   FS0  CS0  YS4
Old Sep 23, 2013, 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by KVS
Those Award Seat are definitely available -- for tips on dealing with Agents, who may claim otherwise, please see http://Help.KVSTool.com/#AgentSaysNo

Code:
HKG  Hong Kong Intl HK [VHHH]
LAX  Los Angeles Intl CA US [KLAX]
SUN  27 Oct 2013

CX         884     HKG   13:05     LAX   10:40     77W  0   FS0  CS0  YS4
CX         882     HKG   16:35     LAX   14:05     77W  0   FS0  CS0  YS0
CX         880     HKG   23:55     LAX   21:30     77W  0   FS0  CS0  YS4
Thanks, I will try again today.
Old Oct 13, 2013, 10:58 pm

Programs: AA:EXP, GLD:A.Argen., Etihad; Turk SIL:UA, VS; HOT.GLD:ClubC, Loews, SPG; PL:Ritz, Hil, IHG, BtW., R
Actually, having an allotment per one world airline with award seating is something I have heard before. I think it is accurate.
Old Oct 13, 2013, 11:11 pm

Programs: AA:EXP, GLD:A.Argen., Etihad; Turk SIL:UA, VS; HOT.GLD:ClubC, Loews, SPG; PL:Ritz, Hil, IHG, BtW., R
I have had quite a bit of difficulty lately with trying to book OF. I see the availability on the award monthly seat map, but can't get it to book beyond that. When I call the EXP desk, they tell me that I can not request either waitlist or ask the Qantas liaison for help in completing my reservation (we have 3 or 4 trans-pacific already booked and there are 14 seats into the cabin, significantly more than most airlines have, especially in 777ER config. I booked one for myself in P class (first) on the A-380 LAX-MEL #94, but did it the day the flights became available to book on the award calendar.

However, I thought, wouldn't it be a great use of miles to ring my partner with me, and a lot of fun to have someone to experience both the A-380 and Qantas in first class? I have only flown them once in first class and they were much better than United. However, that was a long time ago, a lot has changes (including the first class suite concept.) I think it’s going to be a long haul if I really want to get this seat on July 15th. They are showing very poor availability out of LA in July to any of their non-stop cities (MEL, SYD, Brisbane).
Old Oct 13, 2013, 11:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
Originally Posted by rodsren
I think its going to be a long haul if I really want to get this seat on July 15th. They are showing very poor availability out of LA in July to any of their non-stop cities (MEL, SYD, Brisbane).
If you're only going to Australia then search for F to destinations that will transit Australia. Most common is to somewhere in NZ - AKL, WLG, DUD, ZQN, CHC may all have F availability LAX to xxx via SYD/MEL/BNE when the direct flights don't. If Oz is the end destination then you book the NZ destination as a single award and just don't use the onward flights from Oz to NZ. The points cost is the same, so no loss there.

Return is a bit trickier because you still need to find the flight back, but there's ways of playing that too. I know a couple of people who do a "stopover" in Oz to allow them time there, then pick up the original outbound flights to NZ and immediately turnaround for the return to LAX via Oz again. You can also do the two flights separately (to avoid the ticket being voided if you ditch the initial Trans Tasman part), ditch the onward flights to NZ and then, because the return starts in NZ, they use 10k points to fly the Tasman to pick up the NZ flight back through Oz and on to LAX. That's a bit wasteful of points, but if there's nothing else available direct it works.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.