Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: HELP DESK: AA Elite Status Challenge (CLOSED: "hard end" 23 Dec 2015)

Old Mar 21, 2013, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
HELP DESK: AAdvantage Elite Status Challenge (Gold and Platinum)
Challenges may no longer be enrolled in as of 6 Oct; hard end date 23 Dec 2015 -
but some reporting success 6 Oct backdating to 23 Sep by supervisors

This is the archived thread about the now defunct AAdvantage elite Gold and Platinum status challenge. The current thread can be read here.

NOTE: Challenges were closed off September 23 2015, at least for the remainder of 2015 - some have succeeded in enrolling and backdating to 23 Sep.

It is possible a new, remodeled challenge will be announced in or for 2016. That discussion is here: Original Gold / Platinum Challenge Ended 23 Sep '15. New program to come?

This thread is now dedicated to requests for assistance and responses to clarify challenge requirements for those members currently engaged in challenges and related issues. To discuss the potential and form of any future challenge, please use the link provided above.

NOTE: The rules for the Challenge at the time of closure are preserved below. The date by which the last person would have completed this challenge would be 23 December 2015.
Gold and Platinum challenges (there is usually no EXP challenge) can be flown to gain a "short cut" to status. To earn status you must register (and pay a fee $100-$140 for Gold, $200-240 for Platinum*) and fly to earn 5,000 or 10,000 elite-qualifying base Points (not miles) in a three month period, using American Airlines, American Eagle, AmericanConnection®, British Airways, Finnair, Iberia, Japan Airlines, Qantas, US Airways and their eligible codeshare flights* and miles must be credited to AAdvantage.

Note: The four AA segment minimum required for regular status qualification does not apply to completing the challenge.

Class of service, status or other bonus miles are redeemable miles and thus do not count for the challenge. Class of service is the reigning factor in calculating the points earned per mile flown: the base points per mile charts for the various fare buckets on qualifying airlines are here.

Note: The "Reach elite status faster" promotion awarding 2 or even 3 EQ Points per mile for flying premium fares through 2015 does not apply to the challenge; challenge flyers will only have a maximum of 1.5 base EQP per base EQ Mile considered for challenge-earned status. The extra points are considered bonus points and are only applicable for earning "normal", non-challenge status.

Though one earned status bonus miles on the qualifying flight at one time, that is no longer possible. Status bonus miles will accrue on the next eligible flight after your status qualifying flight.

Also see (FT) Help Understanding Status, Points / Miles & Segments: EQM vs EQP (merged thread) for further assistance with the miles-EQMiles-points issue.

For miles calculations, many use the Great Circle Mapper tool

*for Platinum, Jan-Jun $200, Jul - Dec $240 - presumably for the max nine months of status vs. the max of 20 months $240 of status. Occasionally, there are "sales" reductions; they seem to be about 10%.

Challenges begun before June 16 of a given year earn status for the remainder of that year and the first two months of the following year (8-14 months total); challenges begun on or after June 16 grant status for the remainder of that year, the following year, and the first two months of the year after (14-20 months total). Challenges can begin anytime (not previously the case) and can even be backdated up to two weeks as far as we know (as of Nov 2013).

To sign up for a challenge, call AAdvantage Customer Service at +1-800-882-8880.

Link to cyclingpilot post about being granted a back-dated challenge (2 weeks)

You cannot use a challenge to requalify for status. There is no longer a "soft landing" to the next lower level of status. The flight on which the challenge is completed no longer earns the redeemable miles bonus for the new status level.

Some have been granted Gold status whilst flying a Platinum challenge, particularly those with current elite status (any level) on an airline of a competing alliance, but this is not a given.

Based on multiple reports from FT members, as of mid-2015 AA is only allowing one status challenge over a five year period.

August 2014 e-mail received by a Challenger, shared by ashill:

Thank you for registering for an AAdvantage® challenge.

To enjoy AAdvantage PLATINUM status through February 2016, please earn 10,000 elite qualifying points between now and [redacted]. Qualifying flights on American Airlines, American Eagle, AmericanConnection®, British Airways, Finnair, Iberia, Japan Airlines, Qantas, US Airways and their eligible codeshare flights count toward your challenge.

Since the number of elite qualifying points you earn is based on the fare you purchase and the miles you earn, you can view these details for each airline:We wish you every success in attaining the elite status level you desire.

Sincerely,

Janet L F[redacted]
Director
AAdvantage Customer Service
Older posts have been archived (in many cases they contain obsolete information): Archive: Help Desk: AAdvantage Gold, Platinum Elite Status Challenge
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: HELP DESK: AA Elite Status Challenge (CLOSED: "hard end" 23 Dec 2015)

Old Jan 26, 2015, 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by chrisremo
I note in the Wiki post on this thread that you cannot requalify with a challenge, but I'm not sure what this means exactly--it seems like many FTers use challenges to requalify if they aren't going to hit status before year-end. Am I misunderstanding? Does it just mean you cannot requalify with a challenge if your previous qualification was from a challenge?
You can't use a challenge to requalify for the status your currently hold. If currently PLT, regardless of how that status was earned, one would need to drop to gold or general member before doing a PLT challenge.

It's been suggested that the rules on repeat challenges have been tightened up even further recently. I don't think we have enough data here yet to expound on what might have changed.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 6:49 pm

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by _kurt
You can't use a challenge to requalify for the status your currently hold. If currently PLT, regardless of how that status was earned, one would need to drop to gold or general member before doing a PLT challenge.

It's been suggested that the rules on repeat challenges have been tightened up even further recently. I don't think we have enough data here yet to expound on what might have changed.
Ahh, I see. Hmm. Well, maybe I should just spend this year working towards GLD "organically", and take a PLT challenge next year.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 11:28 am
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Question for those that have completed the challenge recently. My flights posted yesterday that put me over the threshold for the Plat challenge, the only indication of this is when I log on to my AA account online or on my mobile. Do you eventually get an email? How long until your card showed up in the mail?

Thanks
Old Jan 28, 2015, 12:23 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by chrisremo
I am not a frequent enough flier to be 100% certain I will achieve status (I never have before), but I think this year it is likely. However in March I have some paid F travel coming up that would easily clear a Gold challenge and put me well on my way to hitting Platinum with a couple more flights within the 90 days. Of course if I do a challenge starting in March, it will expire next February, rather than in 2017, and my bigger concern is that it will lock me out of challenges in the future.

I have no idea if next year will be another likely status-attainer for me, so I wouldn't like to lock myself out of doing a challenge in the not-too-distant future. If I do a challenge this year, is that what I should expect? I have read that AA will often not grant challenges to those who have done them within the last few years.

I note in the Wiki post on this thread that you cannot requalify with a challenge, but I'm not sure what this means exactly--it seems like many FTers use challenges to requalify if they aren't going to hit status before year-end. Am I misunderstanding? Does it just mean you cannot requalify with a challenge if your previous qualification was from a challenge?

Essentially, if I do the challenge, I will likely hit Platinum but then be out of luck if I need a challenge in the future. If I don't do the challenge, I will almost certainly only hit Gold, and it will take me most of the year to achieve. I know I have to ultimately make the call, I'm just trying to understand the factors involved.
How long Challenge earned status endures depends on when the Challenge is done (see the wiki); you could do a Challenge later this year and retain status earned through 28 Feb 2017, if you begin the Challenge after June 16.

But you can not re qualify for status using a Challenge when / if you lose that status - AA is willing to let you buy it back, however. See http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ov-2014-a.html
Old Jan 28, 2015, 12:26 pm

Programs: DL GM, AA PLT.
Newbie questions

Sorry if these are really basic. I have just signed up to a PLT challenge. They gave me temp GLD status, on the basis of of being a UA silver. Booked TA flights on US metal, but via AA.

In paying for the challenge, I was told I could select preferred seats on US flights. However, having bought the flights, those lovely litle yellow/orange seats that were present pre-payment are now blanked out.

Am I out of luck as a temporary AA GLD, or is there some way to get into those (marginally) better seats?

Thanks.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 1:16 pm
jix

Programs: Marriott Gold, JGC, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, AC 25K
I have 3 MRs on AA this year going YYZ-DFW-HKG-DFW-YYZ. I currently have no status with AA (I have AS MVP) and would like to get some feedback on whether I should get a challenge. All tickets are Q fare, for a total of 2000 CAD.

I want to know what are the RDM that will be credited after each flight segment is flown. My calculation below shows the total mileage, assuming that I'll qualify after one and half full trip for the PLT status. Am I correct to assume that, for the PLT challenge (with Gold to start) that I'll earn 125% until I qualify (including the qualifying segment) and then 200% afterward the qualifying segment?

Also, I'm flying in March-May, how long would my PLT status be valid until after the 3 trips? Am I right to think it's going to be until Feb 2017 since the 3 trips exceed the 50,000 EQM regular threshold in 2015?

Will I also get the 500 mile upgrades during the challenge for every 10,000 miles flown (if starting as Gold in the PLT challenge)

I'm looking to go for PLT if I can get the RDM as per my calculation, given the possible upgrades in subsequent flights and lounge access. Otherwise AS MVP still gives me much more miles at 150% over AA gold.

No Status
yyz-dfw-hkg-dfw-yyz 18600=18600
yyz-dfw-hkg-dfw-yyz 9300+9300x1.25=20925
yyz-dfw-hkg-dfw-yyz (9300+8100)x1.25+1200x2=24150
Total miles:63675
Cost:0+2000, 3.12cpm

Gold Challenge
yyz-dfw-hkg-dfw-yyz 9300+8100+1200x1.25=18900
yyz-dfw-hkg-dfw-yyz 18600x1.25=23250
yyz-dfw-hkg-dfw-yyz (9300+8100)x1.25+1200x2=24150
Total miles:66300
Cost:125+2000, 3.19cpm

Platinum Challenge (based on instant Gold)
yyz-dfw-hkg-dfw-yyz 18600x1.25=23250
yyz-dfw-hkg-dfw-yyz 9300x1.25+9300x2=30225
yyz-dfw-hkg-dfw-yyz 18600x2=37200
Total miles:90675
Cost:250+2000, 2.47cpm

On AS MVP
yyz-dfw-hkg-dfw-yyz 18600x1.5=27900
yyz-dfw-hkg-dfw-yyz 18600x1.5=27900
(yyz-dfw-hkg-dfw)-yyz (9300+8100)x1.5+1200x2=28500
Total miles:84300
Cost:0+2000, 2.36cpm

Last edited by jix; Jan 28, 2015 at 2:16 pm
Old Jan 28, 2015, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by rpjepson
Sorry if these are really basic. I have just signed up to a PLT challenge. They gave me temp GLD status, on the basis of of being a UA silver. Booked TA flights on US metal, but via AA.

In paying for the challenge, I was told I could select preferred seats on US flights. However, having bought the flights, those lovely litle yellow/orange seats that were present pre-payment are now blanked out.

Am I out of luck as a temporary AA GLD, or is there some way to get into those (marginally) better seats?

Thanks.
Does your AAdvantage account reflect your GLD status? If so then you should be able to choose preferred seats - but not MCE. If you booked the flight prior to getting status its going to require phone call to fix.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 1:38 pm

That may be the issue then - I purchased the challenge, then bought the ticket maybe ten minutes later. Assume I call AA to fix the issue, or US?
Old Jan 28, 2015, 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by jix
I have 3 MRs on AA this year going YYZ-DFW-HKG-DFW-YYZ. I currently have no status with AA (I have AS MVP) and would like to get some feedback on whether I should get a challenge. All tickets are Q fare, for a total of 2000 CAD.
+1 - similar flights, similar AA no challenge VS. AA with challenge VS. AS with status concerns. Anyone have a solid recommendation?

Also, can AA gift cards be used to pay for the challenge fee?
Old Jan 28, 2015, 2:35 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Moving this thread to the pre-consolidation forum to join the existing Help Desk thread on AA Challenges. Thanks. /Moderator

Originally Posted by rpjepson
That may be the issue then - I purchased the challenge, then bought the ticket maybe ten minutes later. Assume I call AA to fix the issue, or US?
As AA is the one granting your status during your challenge, you'll want to call AA and ensure that your account has been "upgraded" to Gold properly. Then have AA refresh your AAdvantage number on your itinerary so that you can use your shiny Gold privileges to select seats.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 2:52 pm

Thanks for replying.

I called AA - The Agent's response was :-

1.) Preferred seats are "under airport control."

2.) Bizarrely, she then said "and anyway, preferred seats are only for PLT and above."

Is there anything on the AA site that specifically says GLD can have preferred seats on US metal? Much though I like my shiny new status, I'd rather not celebrate it from row 29 if possible
Old Jan 28, 2015, 3:12 pm

It then got worse. Tried another agent, who said she'd cancel the res, book another and submit the original ticket number into the AA refund part of the website. Didn't work, and the refund doesn't seem to recognise my first ticket number. Maybe it hadn't issued ?
Not a good start, though I accept in large part down to my general ineptitude
Old Jan 28, 2015, 3:52 pm

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by JDiver
How long Challenge earned status endures depends on when the Challenge is done (see the wiki); you could do a Challenge later this year and retain status earned through 28 Feb 2017, if you begin the Challenge after June 16.
Yep--but unfortunately my existing paid J travel is for March and that's my only "guaranteed" time this year I know I'll be able to complete a challenge in one go. But I'm just not sure it's worth it to burn a challenge opportunity if it'll only last less than a year.

But you can not re qualify for status using a Challenge when / if you lose that status - AA is willing to let you buy it back, however. See http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ov-2014-a.html
Yeah, this is a good point. Probably what I should do is forego the March challenge, keep shooting for Gold naturally this year, and if a good challenge opportunity presents itself post-June, I'll reconsider it.

Thanks for the reply!
Old Jan 28, 2015, 10:06 pm

Backdating - is it possible?

So I read threads dating back a while and it seemed backdating a challenge was possible. Wondering if anyone knows if that is still the case. Below is an example of my travel. Right now I've got a total of 14,876. I mistakingly thought one had to be gold to due the platinum challenge, thus the reason for not acting earlier. I believe the first two flights accumulated 1.5x points (and miles) because the ticket was full fair business.

01/09/15 AMERICAN AIRLINES 6196 C ORD LHR 3,953 1,977 5,930
01/16/15 AMERICAN AIRLINES 6197 C LHR ORD 3,953 1,977 5,930
01/18/15 2015 Currency Promo 0 250 250
01/18/15 AMERICAN AIRLINES 1537 F ORD MCO 1,005 503 1,508
01/21/15 2015 Currency Promo 0 250 250
01/21/15 AMERICAN AIRLINES 0153 F MCO ORD 1,005 503 1,508

Anyone know if I can backdate, as to where I'm automatically qualify for plat?

Thank you,
Old Jan 28, 2015, 10:12 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Welcome to FlyerTalk.

There is no need to have Gold to do a Platinum Challenge. Only base miles are multipliers for elite qualifying points: discounted economy fares earn as few as 50% points, business 1.5; bonus miles are redeemable, but do not generate elite qualifying points. You may know this, but I'll put it here for others who might read here. From the information you provided, it does appear you've earned 10,000 points.

And the best way to find out if they will backdate the Challenge is to call - soon.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.