Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: HELP DESK: AA Elite Status Challenge (CLOSED: "hard end" 23 Dec 2015)

Old Mar 21, 2013, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
HELP DESK: AAdvantage Elite Status Challenge (Gold and Platinum)
Challenges may no longer be enrolled in as of 6 Oct; hard end date 23 Dec 2015 -
but some reporting success 6 Oct backdating to 23 Sep by supervisors

This is the archived thread about the now defunct AAdvantage elite Gold and Platinum status challenge. The current thread can be read here.

NOTE: Challenges were closed off September 23 2015, at least for the remainder of 2015 - some have succeeded in enrolling and backdating to 23 Sep.

It is possible a new, remodeled challenge will be announced in or for 2016. That discussion is here: Original Gold / Platinum Challenge Ended 23 Sep '15. New program to come?

This thread is now dedicated to requests for assistance and responses to clarify challenge requirements for those members currently engaged in challenges and related issues. To discuss the potential and form of any future challenge, please use the link provided above.

NOTE: The rules for the Challenge at the time of closure are preserved below. The date by which the last person would have completed this challenge would be 23 December 2015.
Gold and Platinum challenges (there is usually no EXP challenge) can be flown to gain a "short cut" to status. To earn status you must register (and pay a fee $100-$140 for Gold, $200-240 for Platinum*) and fly to earn 5,000 or 10,000 elite-qualifying base Points (not miles) in a three month period, using American Airlines, American Eagle, AmericanConnection, British Airways, Finnair, Iberia, Japan Airlines, Qantas, US Airways and their eligible codeshare flights* and miles must be credited to AAdvantage.

Note: The four AA segment minimum required for regular status qualification does not apply to completing the challenge.

Class of service, status or other bonus miles are redeemable miles and thus do not count for the challenge. Class of service is the reigning factor in calculating the points earned per mile flown: the base points per mile charts for the various fare buckets on qualifying airlines are here.

Note: The "Reach elite status faster" promotion awarding 2 or even 3 EQ Points per mile for flying premium fares through 2015 does not apply to the challenge; challenge flyers will only have a maximum of 1.5 base EQP per base EQ Mile considered for challenge-earned status. The extra points are considered bonus points and are only applicable for earning "normal", non-challenge status.

Though one earned status bonus miles on the qualifying flight at one time, that is no longer possible. Status bonus miles will accrue on the next eligible flight after your status qualifying flight.

Also see (FT) Help Understanding Status, Points / Miles & Segments: EQM vs EQP (merged thread) for further assistance with the miles-EQMiles-points issue.

For miles calculations, many use the Great Circle Mapper tool

*for Platinum, Jan-Jun $200, Jul - Dec $240 - presumably for the max nine months of status vs. the max of 20 months $240 of status. Occasionally, there are "sales" reductions; they seem to be about 10%.

Challenges begun before June 16 of a given year earn status for the remainder of that year and the first two months of the following year (8-14 months total); challenges begun on or after June 16 grant status for the remainder of that year, the following year, and the first two months of the year after (14-20 months total). Challenges can begin anytime (not previously the case) and can even be backdated up to two weeks as far as we know (as of Nov 2013).

To sign up for a challenge, call AAdvantage Customer Service at +1-800-882-8880.

Link to cyclingpilot post about being granted a back-dated challenge (2 weeks)

You cannot use a challenge to requalify for status. There is no longer a "soft landing" to the next lower level of status. The flight on which the challenge is completed no longer earns the redeemable miles bonus for the new status level.

Some have been granted Gold status whilst flying a Platinum challenge, particularly those with current elite status (any level) on an airline of a competing alliance, but this is not a given.

Based on multiple reports from FT members, as of mid-2015 AA is only allowing one status challenge over a five year period.

August 2014 e-mail received by a Challenger, shared by ashill:

Thank you for registering for an AAdvantage challenge.

To enjoy AAdvantage PLATINUM status through February 2016, please earn 10,000 elite qualifying points between now and [redacted]. Qualifying flights on American Airlines, American Eagle, AmericanConnection, British Airways, Finnair, Iberia, Japan Airlines, Qantas, US Airways and their eligible codeshare flights count toward your challenge.

Since the number of elite qualifying points you earn is based on the fare you purchase and the miles you earn, you can view these details for each airline:We wish you every success in attaining the elite status level you desire.

Sincerely,

Janet L F[redacted]
Director
AAdvantage Customer Service
Older posts have been archived (in many cases they contain obsolete information): Archive: Help Desk: AAdvantage Gold, Platinum Elite Status Challenge
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: HELP DESK: AA Elite Status Challenge (CLOSED: "hard end" 23 Dec 2015)

Old Dec 26, 2014, 8:34 am

Programs: Once upon a time...
Hello, all. I was AA Gold in 2014 thanks to a mistake Elite Status Challenge offered in August 2013 (6k miles for Gold). I did not re-qualify for any status for 2015, but my Gold status is still apparently good through February. Can I participate in a Platinum challenge on January 1st? I have an itinerary for Jan 14th that will easily get me the 10,000 points needed, so it seems a worthwhile investment.
Old Dec 26, 2014, 8:51 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by veeRob
...Elite Status Challenge offered in August 2013
...but my Gold status is still apparently good through February. Can I participate in a Platinum challenge on January 1st?
Never hurts to ask, but the historical answer is probably not.
Old Dec 26, 2014, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by JonNYC
Never hurts to ask, but the historical answer is probably not.
Really? Per this article, I thought it would be ok.

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...enges-matches/

Who is eligible for an American status challenge?

If you currently have status with American you cant use it as a way to requalify for status, though you can use it as a way to bump up from Gold to Platinum status.
Old Dec 26, 2014, 10:15 am
Suspended

Really? Per this article, I thought it would be ok.

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...enges-matches/
There's more to it than that. The Blogs don't aways know as much as certain folks here do.

There are internal limits on who can do what/when and how many (and how recent) status "exceptions" a given member can have in a x-year period.

Since you made AA gold via challenge-- and quite recently-- that inhibitor should kick in.

That said, you certainly can't go wrong asking!
Old Dec 26, 2014, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by JonNYC
There's more to it than that. The Blogs don't aways know as much as certain folks here do.

There are internal limits on who can do what/when and how many (and how recent) status "exceptions" a given member can have in a x-year period.

Since you made AA gold via challenge-- and quite recently-- that inhibitor should kick in.

That said, you certainly can't go wrong asking!
Understood. That's why I came here to ask.

Tried calling them today but got a recording that they're closed for the holidays. Guess I'll try back Monday.

Not to cite The Blogs Knowledge again, but I read that you could are typically turned down for 2 exceptions in 5 years, and I only have 1. And I thought an exception was only if you failed to complete a challenge. Perhaps they got that wrong, too.

Thanks for the help, JonNYC, happy holidays!
Old Dec 26, 2014, 10:46 am
Suspended

Understood. That's why I came here to ask.

Tried calling them today but got a recording that they're closed for the holidays. Guess I'll try back Monday.

Not to cite The Blogs Knowledge again, but I read that you could are typically turned down for 2 exceptions in 5 years, and I only have 1. And I thought an exception was only if you failed to complete a challenge. Perhaps they got that wrong, too.

Thanks for the help, JonNYC, happy holidays!
Definitely not (bolded portion) Otherwise, I'd say even with the current parameters (which are definitely stricter than the quoted one (and that info came directly from me originally and is about 7 years old)) many people get challenges granted even when maybe not technically qualified regardless, so ask nicely and get off the phone quick (but polite) if it's a no, and maybe ask again.

Happy/merry to you as well! (I'd say "Merry Christmas" by my (Jewish) new-year resolution is to commit less hate crimes! )

Last edited by JonNYC; Dec 26, 2014 at 10:56 am
Old Dec 26, 2014, 1:24 pm

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Red face

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
2500tp = guf2 !
Yes, but with no chance of GGL Ba loses on the 1000+ tps in favor of double status

Its a pity they went this route but Im glad they did it now not 6 months from now
Old Jan 1, 2015, 11:45 am

Hi. Wishing everyone a very Happy New Year. I wanted to apply for the AA Platinum challenge and I am doing a flight from DEL to NYC and return back to Delhi and also have several internal flights in the US as I will be staying for a 3 week period in the US. I was planning to book British airways flight for this trip but wanted to check if they will be valid for the platinum challenge. Does the booking have to be on American code or simply booking the British flight and adding the AA Advantage number would allow it to qualify for the challenge
Old Jan 1, 2015, 12:27 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by Umang Srivastava
Hi. Wishing everyone a very Happy New Year. I wanted to apply for the AA Platinum challenge and I am doing a flight from DEL to NYC and return back to Delhi and also have several internal flights in the US as I will be staying for a 3 week period in the US. I was planning to book British airways flight for this trip but wanted to check if they will be valid for the platinum challenge. Does the booking have to be on American code or simply booking the British flight and adding the AA Advantage number would allow it to qualify for the challenge
Welcome to FlyerTalk and Happy New Year!

As described in the Wiki at the top of this page, flights marketed by AA and its joint venture partners (US, AY, BA, IB, JL, and QF) and operated by oneworld carriers (or operated by anyone for AA-marketed flights) all count for the challenge if credited to AAdvantage. So yes, BA-marketed flights operated by BA (or any other oneworld carrier) count for the challenge; the AA code is not necessary.
Old Jan 1, 2015, 1:13 pm

Programs: AA 1.2MM BIS 'LT' Gld, BA Bronze, AA Plat, now considering SWA.....
sorry to disagree...but having done a challenge recently, I was duly informed that it MUST be done on AA METAL...Plat bonus miles can be acquired on any One World Airline afterwards..
Feel free to correct me if you differ..
Old Jan 1, 2015, 1:20 pm

Programs: AA 1.2MM BIS 'LT' Gld, BA Bronze, AA Plat, now considering SWA.....
I stand corrected...
I just re read the WiKi....
It does state ALL one world airlines
qualify...
Not what I was told when i took
The challenge...
Sorry
Old Jan 4, 2015, 7:50 am

Programs: DL Gold, Hilton Gold, Carnival VIFP Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Code-shares and the 4-segment minimum (AA Flight Number, Partner Metal)

Father in Law is contemplating the AA Platinum Challenge in the spring, assuming the program remains intact for those earning into the 2016 (expires 2/2017) program year. Two questions:

1) Does the 4-segment AA/US requirement still apply to those doing the challenge?

2) If so, does a segment ticketed as an AA flight number but actually a codeshare on JL metal count? He's got a NRT-ORD leg on JL scheduled and would much prefer the guaranteed non-angled lie-flat JAL SKY SUITE to the crapshoot of whether nor not AA will have a the 77W J interior on the NRT flight.

Thanks as always for the wonderful information by the experts on FT!
Old Jan 4, 2015, 10:31 am

Programs: AA 1.5 MM Exec Plat, WN A-List, DL Silver, UA nonrev
Originally Posted by aoumd
Father in Law is contemplating the AA Platinum Challenge in the spring, assuming the program remains intact for those earning into the 2016 (expires 2/2017) program year. Two questions:

1) Does the 4-segment AA/US requirement still apply to those doing the challenge?

2) If so, does a segment ticketed as an AA flight number but actually a codeshare on JL metal count? He's got a NRT-ORD leg on JL scheduled and would much prefer the guaranteed non-angled lie-flat JAL SKY SUITE to the crapshoot of whether nor not AA will have a the 77W J interior on the NRT flight.

Thanks as always for the wonderful information by the experts on FT!
Greetings, aoumd!

American Airlines and US Airways continue to operate as separate airlines of the same, merged parent company (for now). As such, we are maintaining each airlines' respective "pre-merger" forum, along with a consolidated forum (which is used to discuss items that affect BOTH carriers or the parent company). As your question relates to the "shortcut to status" program offered by American Airlines, it has been moved to the existing thread on challenges.

The moderators of this forum are currently in the midst of creating new stickies and consolidated threads for the new year (2015 and beyond, archiving older threads), so your post may end up in the newest version of the challenge thread when the time comes for that. We're working as quickly as time permits.

Your understanding is appreciated.

/Moderator
Old Jan 4, 2015, 10:39 am

Hi! I am new to be here and have a question about the platinum challenge.

If I fly to Japan at 6/11 and come back at 6/19, is it possible to enroll from 6/16 and request to add my outbond flight into my record?

Thanks!
Old Jan 4, 2015, 11:50 am
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by terresawang
Hi! I am new to be here and have a question about the platinum challenge.

If I fly to Japan at 6/11 and come back at 6/19, is it possible to enroll from 6/16 and request to add my outbond flight into my record?

Thanks!
Why not just call and set up the challenge on 6/1 or even 5/15 for that matter. You will have 90 days to reach the 10k EQP threshold.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.