Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: HELP DESK: AA Elite Status Challenge (CLOSED: "hard end" 23 Dec 2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 21, 2013, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
HELP DESK: AAdvantage Elite Status Challenge (Gold and Platinum)
Challenges may no longer be enrolled in as of 6 Oct; hard end date 23 Dec 2015 -
but some reporting success 6 Oct backdating to 23 Sep by supervisors

This is the archived thread about the now defunct AAdvantage elite Gold and Platinum status challenge. The current thread can be read here.

NOTE: Challenges were closed off September 23 2015, at least for the remainder of 2015 - some have succeeded in enrolling and backdating to 23 Sep.

It is possible a new, remodeled challenge will be announced in or for 2016. That discussion is here: Original Gold / Platinum Challenge Ended 23 Sep '15. New program to come?

This thread is now dedicated to requests for assistance and responses to clarify challenge requirements for those members currently engaged in challenges and related issues. To discuss the potential and form of any future challenge, please use the link provided above.

NOTE: The rules for the Challenge at the time of closure are preserved below. The date by which the last person would have completed this challenge would be 23 December 2015.
Gold and Platinum challenges (there is usually no EXP challenge) can be flown to gain a "short cut" to status. To earn status you must register (and pay a fee $100-$140 for Gold, $200-240 for Platinum*) and fly to earn 5,000 or 10,000 elite-qualifying base Points (not miles) in a three month period, using American Airlines, American Eagle, AmericanConnection®, British Airways, Finnair, Iberia, Japan Airlines, Qantas, US Airways and their eligible codeshare flights* and miles must be credited to AAdvantage.

Note: The four AA segment minimum required for regular status qualification does not apply to completing the challenge.

Class of service, status or other bonus miles are redeemable miles and thus do not count for the challenge. Class of service is the reigning factor in calculating the points earned per mile flown: the base points per mile charts for the various fare buckets on qualifying airlines are here.

Note: The "Reach elite status faster" promotion awarding 2 or even 3 EQ Points per mile for flying premium fares through 2015 does not apply to the challenge; challenge flyers will only have a maximum of 1.5 base EQP per base EQ Mile considered for challenge-earned status. The extra points are considered bonus points and are only applicable for earning "normal", non-challenge status.

Though one earned status bonus miles on the qualifying flight at one time, that is no longer possible. Status bonus miles will accrue on the next eligible flight after your status qualifying flight.

Also see (FT) Help Understanding Status, Points / Miles & Segments: EQM vs EQP (merged thread) for further assistance with the miles-EQMiles-points issue.

For miles calculations, many use the Great Circle Mapper tool

*for Platinum, Jan-Jun $200, Jul - Dec $240 - presumably for the max nine months of status vs. the max of 20 months $240 of status. Occasionally, there are "sales" reductions; they seem to be about 10%.

Challenges begun before June 16 of a given year earn status for the remainder of that year and the first two months of the following year (8-14 months total); challenges begun on or after June 16 grant status for the remainder of that year, the following year, and the first two months of the year after (14-20 months total). Challenges can begin anytime (not previously the case) and can even be backdated up to two weeks as far as we know (as of Nov 2013).

To sign up for a challenge, call AAdvantage Customer Service at +1-800-882-8880.

Link to cyclingpilot post about being granted a back-dated challenge (2 weeks)

You cannot use a challenge to requalify for status. There is no longer a "soft landing" to the next lower level of status. The flight on which the challenge is completed no longer earns the redeemable miles bonus for the new status level.

Some have been granted Gold status whilst flying a Platinum challenge, particularly those with current elite status (any level) on an airline of a competing alliance, but this is not a given.

Based on multiple reports from FT members, as of mid-2015 AA is only allowing one status challenge over a five year period.

August 2014 e-mail received by a Challenger, shared by ashill:

Thank you for registering for an AAdvantage® challenge.

To enjoy AAdvantage PLATINUM status through February 2016, please earn 10,000 elite qualifying points between now and [redacted]. Qualifying flights on American Airlines, American Eagle, AmericanConnection®, British Airways, Finnair, Iberia, Japan Airlines, Qantas, US Airways and their eligible codeshare flights count toward your challenge.

Since the number of elite qualifying points you earn is based on the fare you purchase and the miles you earn, you can view these details for each airline:We wish you every success in attaining the elite status level you desire.

Sincerely,

Janet L F[redacted]
Director
AAdvantage Customer Service
Older posts have been archived (in many cases they contain obsolete information): Archive: Help Desk: AAdvantage Gold, Platinum Elite Status Challenge
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: HELP DESK: AA Elite Status Challenge (CLOSED: "hard end" 23 Dec 2015)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2014, 4:30 pm

Programs: AA 1.5 MM Exec Plat, WN A-List, DL Silver, UA nonrev
American Airlines and US Airways continue to operate as separate carriers under the same, merged parent company (for now).

As this question pertains to the legacy American Airlines operation, it is being moved to that forum for member input.

/Moderator
Old Dec 14, 2014, 5:15 pm

How long back can I start the challenge?

Hey there.

I've read the whole thread but I've read some conflicting information regarding when you can set the start date of your challenge.

I'm interested in starting my challenge "in the past" but I have seen three different answers for this question in the thread: it can start either 2 weeks, 6 weeks or 2 months in the past. Now, does anyone know what the actual period is?
Is it only random because of poorly trained agents?

Also, I happen to have more than 10k EQP in the past two months, would I be given the status right away if I apply with a start date in the past?

Thanks in advance.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by aoumd
Any word or speculation if there will be an AA Status Challenge program in 2015 to earn status through 2/28/2017?
To my knowledge, there has been no announcement that there won't be challenges.

Originally Posted by aoumd

Also, if you sign up for the challenge, do flights which were BOOKED before you sign up but FLOWN during the challenge period count towards the 10,000 point requirement for Platinum?
Yes
Old Dec 14, 2014, 6:25 pm

Programs: DL Gold, Hilton Gold, Carnival VIFP Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by bdemaria
To my knowledge, there has been no announcement that there won't be challenges.

Yes
Thanks!
Old Dec 17, 2014, 6:56 pm

What's the best way to contact AA to get a status match going? I am UA 1k and about to book 4 biz class tickets to parts of Europe for Jan and Feb and if I'm going to make the switch from UA to AA/US now would be the time.

And does OW flights generally count towards challenges?
Old Dec 18, 2014, 4:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by sajix2
What's the best way to contact AA to get a status match going? I am UA 1k and about to book 4 biz class tickets to parts of Europe for Jan and Feb and if I'm going to make the switch from UA to AA/US now would be the time.

Calling is your best bet.

For information on OW qualifying flights, there's a link in the wiki.

Old Dec 18, 2014, 5:59 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, MR Ambassador, National EE
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
I'm a Delta Diamond. I'm about to spend some serious money doing the US Airways Chairman's Preferred challenge (30,000 miles in 90 days). However, I've heard from three Delta Diamonds -- and verified (I saw the card!) one -- who said American matched them with Executive Platinum with no challenge requirement. Can anyone confirm they've seen, heard or personally experienced this?
Former DL DM here... I was matched to AA ExP at the beginning on 2013. Not sure what they do now...
Old Dec 18, 2014, 6:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by krlcomm
Former DL DM here... I was matched to AA ExP at the beginning on 2013. Not sure what they do now...
Recent feedback on the DL forum indicated AA was offering an EXP challenge to UA 1ks but not DL DMs.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 12:14 pm

Programs: AA Plat,AS MVP Gold, Hilton Gold, Accor Plat, Amtrak(all routes, VIA same, AUS 90%)
Follow through/document

Originally Posted by sajix2

Couple of years back I was 1K and requested match-some of this my fault as I didn't pursue communications and the match did not happen. Since then I have had several conversations with AA exec office staff about this.

Alas, too late now it seems...
Old Dec 19, 2014, 2:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
From the Wiki

" fly to earn 5,000 or 10,000 elite-qualifying Points (not miles) in a three month period, using American Airlines, American Eagle, AmericanConnection®, British Airways, Finnair, Iberia, Japan Airlines, Qantas, US Airways and their eligible codeshare flights"

No mention of minimum 4 legs on AA/US metal. Does it mean that by flying AY alone I could meet the challenge?

ARN-HEL-BKK-HEL -in C should be 10k miles x 1,5, so challenge done. Am I correct here?
Old Dec 19, 2014, 5:38 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
From the Wiki

" fly to earn 5,000 or 10,000 elite-qualifying Points (not miles) in a three month period, using American Airlines, American Eagle, AmericanConnection®, British Airways, Finnair, Iberia, Japan Airlines, Qantas, US Airways and their eligible codeshare flights"

No mention of minimum 4 legs on AA/US metal. Does it mean that by flying AY alone I could meet the challenge?

ARN-HEL-BKK-HEL -in C should be 10k miles x 1,5, so challenge done. Am I correct here?
Yes that will work, but for requal 4 segments are required but you can join remymartin and me for a AA run next year for 2016
Old Dec 19, 2014, 6:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kauppias
Yes that will work, but for requal 4 segments are required but you can join remymartin and me for a AA run next year for 2016
Moro!

My BA year is up 8/March and as they upped the ante for GGL qualification, it might make better sense to credit Jan-Feb AY flights to AA as I don't need more TPs.

Somehow I don't see myself doing MR, though. If only one could book AA codeshares on BA/AY/IB/AB metal on flights NOT crossing the pond... There are AA codeshares e.g HEL-LHR-CDG, but even an AA agent couldn't book it, even though she saw them
Old Dec 19, 2014, 7:34 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
Moro!

My BA year is up 8/March and as they upped the ante for GGL qualification, it might make better sense to credit Jan-Feb AY flights to AA as I don't need more TPs.

Somehow I don't see myself doing MR, though. If only one could book AA codeshares on BA/AY/IB/AB metal on flights NOT crossing the pond... There are AA codeshares e.g HEL-LHR-CDG, but even an AA agent couldn't book it, even though she saw them
Yeah I hear ya, I wont credit to BA over 1500 TPs now either, Ill never make 5000tps in a year but 3000 was doable, so now I can maintain both ba gold and aa plat. Cheapo AY is best parked in AA anyways. Too bad BA went that route
Old Dec 20, 2014, 4:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kauppias
yeah i hear ya, i wont credit to ba over 1500 tps now either, ill never make 5000tps in a year but 3000 was doable, so now i can maintain both ba gold and aa plat. Cheapo ay is best parked in aa anyways. Too bad ba went that route
2500tp = guf2 !
Old Dec 26, 2014, 1:01 am

Programs: DL DM
Hey there. I have a quick question regarding the challenge. I recently booked 6 tickets to AUH via AA and Etihad. If I get the AA Executive or AA Platinum card, and sign up for the challenge, would it be useful? I want to upgrade all 6 tickets to the main cabin, but I was wondering if this is a better option.

I don't fly enough to actually complete the challenge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.