Wiki Posts
Search

Turboprop service at HOU / Houston Hobby

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2009, 10:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP and 1MM, SPG Platinum, HHonors Gold, Hertz Prez. Circle
Bye-Bye Hobby

I can't believe that most of the DFW-HOU service is now turboprop. I don't care why they're doing it...it just stinks. The gate agent said it's only until August. The FA said it's until January. Regardless, the bathroom was broken, it was hotter than hades, it was bumpy as all get, and the seats were uncomfortable to boot. For now on I'm going to IAH even though it is less convenient. Anyone else do this route and steamed about it?

Last edited by dstan; Jun 19, 2009 at 12:48 am Reason: updated thread title and restored OP title
Old Jun 18, 2009, 10:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hertz Club Gold, HHonors Gold
When I read the title I thought that AA would stop flying to HOU or something! I fly DFW-HOU regularly, but I haven't had the negative experiences with bathroom or turbulence. I will be on it again in a coulpe months, hope things get better by then.
Old Jun 18, 2009, 11:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP and 1MM, SPG Platinum, HHonors Gold, Hertz Prez. Circle
Sorry vita - I realized shortly after I made that post that it would appear that way. As far as I'm concerned they might as well discontinue the service (OK, I'm exaggerating...I don't really want that to happen). In my book, the only thing that comes close to the joy of an upgrade to first, is getting that single-side seat on the regional jet. With the 2+2 turboprops you can kiss those days goodbye!
Old Jun 18, 2009, 11:13 pm

Programs: AA PLT/5MM; AS MVP GLD 75K; DL DM; EK SLV; HHonors DIAM; Marriott GLD
AA spent millions of dollars here in North Texas backing the view point that all passengers should be served via a single airport. They appear to believe that airline operational efficiencies should trump individual passenger convenience.
Old Jun 19, 2009, 8:47 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by HKG_Flyer1
They appear to believe that airline operational efficiencies should trump individual passenger convenience.
They should. Its a business. Not a ward of the state.
Old Jun 19, 2009, 9:54 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.6 MM
I take this route weekly. They are starting to mix in some CRJ's now. I spoke with the outgoing station manager and he said to stick with it, they are trying to get back to jets. The ATR holds more people and the route can support a larger volume than the ERJ. They are trying to free up some CRJ's to service this route.

The REALLY bad news: They say that the ATR is much more fuel efficient than the jets. Apparently AE is trying to decide if they should purchase the newer ERJs that have more capacity or the newer ATR (which is supposed to be much nicer than the ones we have been exposed to). The 50 seat jets don't bring the the $ with high fuel costs, so routes that won't support larger loads will see schedule reductions or route eliminations. Of course this is over the longer term.

We may be seeing the ATR return if the price of fuel returns to previously seen levels when the economy rebounds. An example, a Saab with 30 people could fly to Waco for the same dollar amount of fuel that a CRJ burns starting up and taxing at DFW! My source reports the corporate office is really looking at bring back turboprops! This change would take time and we are looking at it happening over several years.
Old Jun 19, 2009, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
They should also take a look at the Bombardier Q400. Very fuel efficient large turboprop.
Old Jun 19, 2009, 5:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 8 MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by sts603
They should. Its a business. Not a ward of the state.
Damn straight! and its a good thing we have the WRIGHT Amendment to keep things.....huh, whats that you say, its a regulation of the STATE??? ...never mind...
Old Jun 19, 2009, 6:30 pm

Programs: AA 2MM, SPG, IHG
There is always Southwest!

Vote with your $ to show AA what you think. Heck, Southwest will probably get you there on time more often; and more flights too. Business select is as cheap as the economy saver AA fare, fully changeable, no advance planning needed, and you get to board first and have a free drink.
Speaking of product: the ATR is a half hour longer flight, smaller seats, less comfort, and DFW delays can make it so much more fun. Its just not a competitive offering - why use it?
I like AA, no doubt, but why make your life harder? (unless you are living significantly west of DFW) I know I use them when it makes sense.
Old Jun 20, 2009, 11:54 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
The Q400 is more comfortable than the ERJ and far more comfortable than the CRJ as configured by AA. Flight time in a Q400 from DFW to HOU would be comparable to an ERJ. The fuel savings is huge. Plus, IIRC, turboprops aren't covered by the scope clause.

AA would be smart to pick up Q400's for routes like DFW-HOU.
Old Jun 20, 2009, 8:24 pm

Programs: AA: ExPlat, Virgin: Silver, Midwest, US Airways: Gold, NW, Lufthansa: Freq Trav
I don't think they'll listen. I was contacted by the EXPLAT desk this week asking me why my miles are down this year compared to last year. One of the reasons is I won't fly on AE unless it is absolutely necessary. Besides the small seats many of the ground staff don't get it. I agree with a previous poster, vote with your wallet. When I mentioned my comments to me they politely said they were surprised as many passengers love the ERJ's.
Old Jun 20, 2009, 9:16 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG GLD, MR GLD
I flew an ATR on a LIT-DFW flight a few weeks ago and didn't find it to be that bad. The only complaint was the condition of the interior...this one was pretty ragged and dirty. More so than I've see with the AE jets or mainline birds. The Q400s sound like a good deal, but I'll be surprised if we see anything new in the near future.
Old Jun 21, 2009, 8:45 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.6 MM
Originally Posted by wboll
I don't think they'll listen. I was contacted by the EXPLAT desk this week asking me why my miles are down this year compared to last year. One of the reasons is I won't fly on AE unless it is absolutely necessary. Besides the small seats many of the ground staff don't get it. I agree with a previous poster, vote with your wallet. When I mentioned my comments to me they politely said they were surprised as many passengers love the ERJ's.
I agree about the customer service issue. Both DFW and outstation gate agents don't get it. Last week at DFW the tired to board the ATR by rows, starting at the front of the plane. A group of us EXP just walked up to the scanner anyway, and after a brief protest, the agent let us on. They don't understand that overhead space is an even GREATER premium on the regional jets vs mainline! They rarely announce delays. It is sad if I can figure out that the inbound aircraft is going to arrive at the gate 10 minutes after my scheduled departure time before they do. Eagle also seems very fond of the rolling delays. They drive me crazy.
Old Jun 21, 2009, 12:47 pm

Basically what I have heard from AA folks is that they can't compete with WN's shuttle. You see same complaints from the folks in CRP. What I find interesting is that you don't find ATR's to AUS, a much closer airport than HOU to Dallas.

What I find flying to CRP is that the outstations don't really "know" the ATR well. They are not used to boarding in back, pulling up jetbridge etc.

I agree with others in why one would fly AA to HOU when WN offers better service, happier employess, free booze, more flights, no change fees and bag fees. Why deal with the hassle of Eagle and DFW(vs DAL) for a measly 500 miles.
Old Jun 21, 2009, 2:08 pm

Programs: LT AAdvantage Gold
Originally Posted by MrMan
I agree with others in why one would fly AA to HOU when WN offers better service, happier employess, free booze, more flights, no change fees and bag fees. Why deal with the hassle of Eagle and DFW(vs DAL) for a measly 500 miles.
It could be the miles, it could be the flight segments, or it could be because it's so hard to drive to North Dallas, Richardson or Plano from Love Field in the afternoon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.