Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

New One-Way Flex Award / Awards, <NO> Stopover Rule, and Booking Engine (May 9, 2009)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 28, 2012, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Microwave
Moderator Wikipost

For AA's announcement of their new One-Way Flex Awards, see: http://www.aa.com/i18n/amrcorp/newsr...FlexAwards.jsp

For AA's FAQ on the new One-Way Flex Awards, including the new stopover rule, see: http://www.aa.com/aa/i18nForward.do?...award_faqs.jsp
Q: Do one-way awards include any stopovers?
A: Awards between North America and Europe, India, Asia, and Central / South America allow a stopover at the North American gateway. However, other one-way awards do not allow stopovers.
Note that free stopovers have been eliminated as of 8 April 2014, so that portion of this discussion is no longer current.

/AA Moderator Team
Print Wikipost

New One-Way Flex Award / Awards, <NO> Stopover Rule, and Booking Engine (May 9, 2009)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2014, 11:01 pm

Thanks for your answers.
Can I use 24 hours connection regardless of any other scheduled flights in the interval of 6-24 hours? Because I found this comment in the Aadvantage rules (http://flyerguide.com/index.php/Award_Rules_%28AA%29):
"Travel wholly within or between all other regions:
- Passenger has 6 hours to connect. If there are no scheduled flights within 6 hours, regardless of availability, the passenger must take the next scheduled flight but, may not exceed 24 hours.
- A connection with more than 24 hours will be considered a stopover."

And other question: Can I do 24 hours connection in the Aadvantage "domestic" zone (50 United States, Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands, Canada), if it's international flight?
For example, LAX -> BNA -> JFK -> TXL ->FRA, 24 hours connection in BNA, is it realy or 4 hours only?
P.S. I'm not sure if I specify the "domestic" zone correctly, it may contain also Mexico and the Caribbean.

Last edited by Maria Lyashkova; Mar 20, 2014 at 4:12 am
Old Mar 28, 2014, 10:33 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, Identity Platnium (Cosmopolitan), Palladium Card, Hilton Diamond
LAX to GCM (Grand Cayman Islands)

Grand Cayman Islands and the Ritz property is one of the places I would love to go. It appears that it costs only 12.5K miles starting in September to fly over there, and Miami happens to be one of the layover spots.

I read about open jaw (where I could stop in one north america destination before I fly over to some other continent). Would I be able to utilize that and stop in Miami for a couple of days?

For example, I see the following:
September 20

Fly LAX 7:25am , land MIA 3:25PM
fly MIA 7:10pm, land GCM 7:35pm

Thank you.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 10:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by CreditRocks
Grand Cayman Islands and the Ritz property is one of the places I would love to go. It appears that it costs only 12.5K miles starting in September to fly over there, and Miami happens to be one of the layover spots.

I read about open jaw (where I could stop in one north america destination before I fly over to some other continent). Would I be able to utilize that and stop in Miami for a couple of days?
I think you are confusing two different concepts.

An "open jaw" usually refers to flying to one city, and returning from another (or sometimes, starting your trip from one city, and returning to a different city). So, for example, AAA-XXX//YYY-AAA would be an example of an open jaw, as would AAA-XXX-BBB.

What you are asking about is a stopover, and whether you can get a free stopover at MIA on an LAX-GCM award. And the answer is, "No." The free stopover on AA's one-way Flex awards is only offered at the North American gateway on an award between North America and another award zone. Since both LAX and GCM are within AA's "North America" zone, you do not get a free stopover on an LAX-GCM award. (If you were flying LAX-SJO/CCS/LIM, etc., it would be a different story.)

Last edited by Microwave; Mar 29, 2014 at 1:42 am Reason: Added quote for continuity post merge
Old Mar 29, 2014, 1:43 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by CreditRocks

As AAdvantage is still operating as a distinct programme, this question is being moved over to the relevant thread in the pre-merger American Airlines forum.

Please note the sticky at the top of the consolidated thread which is titled Welcome to the New American Airlines Forum! PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING. With all of the changes about, it is important to know where to post, and reading that thread before posting (as the title suggests ) will help get you in the right place.

~Moderator
Old Mar 30, 2014, 11:12 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, Identity Platnium (Cosmopolitan), Palladium Card, Hilton Diamond
got it, thank you guv.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 4:47 am

confused about the connection time rule

hi all, have read half of the posts and I am still confused about the connection time rule: I arrive into HKG at 17:50 and the next available connecting flight is 19:20. According to the CSR, I must take that flight even though I want to have an overnight stay in HKG ( plenty of flights available the next day prior to the 24 hr limit). Is she right that I have to take the flight at 19:20?
Old Apr 3, 2014, 4:59 am

Programs: AA P-Pro, Chase SP, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by corrad
hi all, have read half of the posts and I am still confused about the connection time rule: I arrive into HKG at 17:50 and the next available connecting flight is 19:20. According to the CSR, I must take that flight even though I want to have an overnight stay in HKG ( plenty of flights available the next day prior to the 24 hr limit). Is she right that I have to take the flight at 19:20?
The maximum allowable is 24 hours...and it mostly applies to last flight in of the night, first flight out the next morning scenarios. In your case, you must take the next available flight, or the 19:20.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 8:28 am
Suspended

No, actually, one has 24 hours to make an international connection. Not required to be on the next flight. The AA agent is misinformed.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by onesocalkid
The maximum allowable is 24 hours...and it mostly applies to last flight in of the night, first flight out the next morning scenarios. In your case, you must take the next available flight, or the 19:20.
This is 100% incorrect.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 8:27 am

I force through long connections all the time (usually in MIA. int-int, int-dom). In fact, I just booked one for early May (arrive 10:25, depart 10:15, next day.)

In your case I would just HUACA.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 8:46 am
Suspended

If Miami is your North American gateway, nothing has to be forced.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 6:08 am

Originally Posted by Leopold
If Miami is your North American gateway, nothing has to be forced.
MIA's not my NA gateway, ORD is. I'm flying in from the Caribbean. However, this thread is about awards, I was talking about a revenue ticket. My mistake.

Very unfortunate that AA's getting rid of free international gateway stopovers.

Last edited by Djokison; Apr 8, 2014 at 6:29 am
Old Apr 28, 2014, 3:52 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by Djokison
I force through long connections all the time (usually in MIA. int-int, int-dom). In fact, I just booked one for early May (arrive 10:25, depart 10:15, next day.)

I'm a newbie to Aadvantage but I'm wondering how you force through connections that don't immediately come up online. For example if I want to go LCY-JFK and then JFK-ORD (within 24 hours), connections are not shown, even if both individual sectors have award availability. And if I then try to do it using the multi-sector tool it prices up each sector individually, increasing the number of miles required.

Obviously I could just use the phone, but is there any way of forcing such connections online?
Old Apr 28, 2014, 5:25 am
Suspended

Does BA publish an LCY-ORD through fare that allows a connection at JFK?
Old Apr 28, 2014, 8:04 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by Djokison

Originally Posted by Leopold
Does BA publish an LCY-ORD through fare that allows a connection at JFK?
I don't know. Does that matter for a redemption booking? I just used that as an example - there are a lot of other potential connections where the individual sectors have award availability but are not shown online as a through booking.

As a follow up, if a connection eg MAN-PHL-LAX is shown as available, can you choose any flight from PHL-LAX that leaves within 24 hours, or do the rules require you to travel on the first available flight unless you pay the miles for both sectors individually?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.