Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

New One-Way Flex Award / Awards, <NO> Stopover Rule, and Booking Engine (May 9, 2009)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 28, 2012, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Microwave
Moderator Wikipost

For AA's announcement of their new One-Way Flex Awards, see: http://www.aa.com/i18n/amrcorp/newsr...FlexAwards.jsp

For AA's FAQ on the new One-Way Flex Awards, including the new stopover rule, see: http://www.aa.com/aa/i18nForward.do?...award_faqs.jsp
Q: Do one-way awards include any stopovers?
A: Awards between North America and Europe, India, Asia, and Central / South America allow a stopover at the North American gateway. However, other one-way awards do not allow stopovers.
Note that free stopovers have been eliminated as of 8 April 2014, so that portion of this discussion is no longer current.

/AA Moderator Team
Print Wikipost

New One-Way Flex Award / Awards, <NO> Stopover Rule, and Booking Engine (May 9, 2009)

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2009, 4:16 am

Programs: AA PLT, Delta SkyMiles
from Australia?

Hey, so I've tried to check the international thing for one way MEL-MIA and it said I need to ring them. Has anyone tried this with the One World/Qantas ticketing?
I'd like to get a one way using awards and then buy a return in PE. Any comments? Return MIA-MEL is at the end of Oct.
Old May 9, 2009, 4:48 am

Programs: AA PLT, Delta SkyMiles
Originally Posted by veganmacrochick
Hey, so I've tried to check the international thing for one way MEL-MIA and it said I need to ring them. Has anyone tried this with the One World/Qantas ticketing?
I'd like to get a one way using awards and then buy a return in PE. Any comments? Return MIA-MEL is at the end of Oct.
Also is this ridiculous? Should I just book under the new sale that's on till the 15th?
Old May 9, 2009, 5:32 am

ACtually , for someone like myself these one way awards will be fantastic.. I do a couple of RTW per year and these awards will let me get to my destination without having to discard a return portion (at one half miles ) that I so often had to do....
Old May 9, 2009, 5:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by veganmacrochick
You can't book OW/Partner awards on AA.COM
Old May 9, 2009, 5:40 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by justforfun
They're showing now!!!

One way flights for exactly half the miles!!! Very excited. Now let's see if it applies to OW awards.

And of course, let's see what we've given up for this privilege.
Some will be looking to see what impact may be on the 25k CONUS "roundtrip" awards that have been a bit more creative than the far more typical simple roundtrip 25k CONUS award redemptions.
Old May 9, 2009, 6:33 am

C'mon, guys! This is a nice additional feature, if it doesn't somehow manage to increase award levels. One-way awards add a lot of flexibility to the AAdvantage program, and that's always welcome. I can't quite complete a reservation yet, though, but I guess it'll take a few days to iron out all the bugs. So far, it looks promising!
Old May 9, 2009, 7:03 am

Programs: All major Airlines, Hotel Chains, Credit Cards and Car Rentals
Just hung up my call with AAdvantage desk for a reservation that I have been trying to make over this past week. The award which would have cost me 135K until early this morning now will cost me 147.5K.

The most significant change that will hit most people is elimination of free stopovers. Yes, no more FREE stopovers allowed. Redemption mileage will be calculated based on a one-way rate between each of the two stopover points. One-way awards may be good for somebody but not as good for a lot of people who really took advantage of the free stopover features and often managing to get two free stopovers. Alot of other airlines who allow one-ways also allow one stopover in each direction which makes them a lot more attractive. This actually sucks for me.

Edited to add: It looks like a free stopover will still be allowed at the international gateway city within the US (or perhaps even North America). Atleast not as bad for some people but still no free stopovers at an international point is a big from me.

Last edited by jeelele; May 9, 2009 at 7:27 am Reason: update and correction
Old May 9, 2009, 7:49 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Does this mean no London stopovers for free (using BA metal)?
Old May 9, 2009, 8:11 am

played around with the new site a bit. It doesnt seem to be "truly" one-way pricing for award travel in that it doesnt seem to let me mix award types. For example:

select 20K outbound
no 20K return, so select 30K
now the outbound changes to 30K

Now I wonder what happens if you try to game the system and book on two different tickets?
Old May 9, 2009, 8:23 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by WalkinBackToTexas
played around with the new site a bit. It doesnt seem to be "truly" one-way pricing for award travel in that it doesnt seem to let me mix award types. For example:

select 20K outbound
no 20K return, so select 30K
now the outbound changes to 30K

Now I wonder what happens if you try to game the system and book on two different tickets?
Okie dokie .. now explain why two one ways would be "gaming the system"

mike
Old May 9, 2009, 8:28 am

Originally Posted by MIKESILV
Okie dokie .. now explain why two one ways would be "gaming the system"

mike
RT is 60K ... two one-ways is 50K
maybe its not gaming ... could be that they are perfectly OK with that. Seems kinda strange to me that the RT would price like that if they are though.

I suppose two one ways is more money for them when its a non EXP ....
Old May 9, 2009, 9:00 am

apparently what i saw the first time isnt normal. I tried some different routings and the mileage charge makes sense now (20k+30k=50k).
Old May 9, 2009, 9:52 am

Programs: AA EXP
Where on AA.com are the changes documented?
Old May 9, 2009, 10:30 am

refund on r/t throwaway?

Several months ago I booked JL for NRTDPS (just that one segment) through AA, had to pay the round-trip price even though only flying one-way. One-way OW awards have long been available through BA, though I had exhausted my points in that account.

Anyhow, I'm curious if AA will refund the 50% of my points that they took, given the recent change to one-way awards. My phone service is out, I just haven't been able to check yet. Anyone else experience a refund?

Jamie
Old May 9, 2009, 10:43 am

Programs: AA Concierge Key, AA Lifetime Plat, SPG Ambassador, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Platinum, United Plat
Does anyone know (yet!) if oneworld RTW awards will also be one-way path? Am doing in J this summer and would love to upgrade a leg or two to F if available!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.