Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ORD-EZE - high AA prices December 2009

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2009, 10:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum
ORD-EZE - high AA prices December 2009

I need to fly from ORD (Chicago) to EZE (Buenos Aires) aprox Dec 18 - first week of January. The prices range from $1250-$3000+ in economy class. Is $1250 the cheapest I can get? Seems a little high to me...

Thanks for your help!
Old Jul 5, 2009, 10:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by wshadow
I need to fly from ORD (Chicago) to EZE (Buenos Aires) aprox Dec 18 - first week of January. The prices range from $1250-$3000+ in economy class. Is $1250 the cheapest I can get? Seems a little high to me...

Thanks for your help!
Prices are always higher over the Christmas school break. Can you get cheaper? Maybe, if you wait. Could it also go up? Sure.
Old Jul 5, 2009, 10:18 pm
Suspended

If you use kayak.com you can also look up fare history. It can also show how you can save money by being flexible. Looking quickly it looks like several days ago AA was offering fares under $1,000 for the approximate days you are looking to travel.

I also wouldn't be surprised if you can get better deals by going through a consolidator particularly if you don't mind connecting on MX via MEX.

Also, welcome to FT
Old Jul 6, 2009, 1:19 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Flying Blue, Mileage Plus
That price wouldn't surprise me. Dec-Jan is peak travel season to Argentina. I went last year at this time and EVERYTHING was full. It seemed like all 5 daily flights (2 from JFK, 2 from MIA, 1 from DFW) was packed and finding a place to stay was a pain in the @$$ also. Anyway, that's a fairly long flight, plus it involves a connection. If $1,100 is a typical price for travel to Europe in the summer, then $1,100 for travel to Argentina in the winter makes sense to me.
Old Jul 6, 2009, 2:17 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
You should not expect to pay less $1,000-$1,100 during that time of the year. And even with the current economic situation, U.S.-Argentina traffic remains extremely robust.
Old Jul 6, 2009, 4:54 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
There is a reason why EZE is one of AA's most profitable destinations.
Old Jul 6, 2009, 6:23 am

Thanks for your help!
$1250 is not at all high for that route at that time. Feel lucky its not $1600.
Old Jul 6, 2009, 8:14 am

Programs: Lifetime Plat/4mm miles, Starwood, HiltonHonors
Even during non-holiday times, EZE fares from upper-tier departures cities hover in the $1,000 to $1,250 range for discounted coach; departing from MIA and DFW can cut it by a $100 or so. But compared to, say, the Euro or pound, the A-peso -- currently at 3.8/$1 -- is a bargain that more than compensates for fares higher than what you typically pay for Europe. You'll make it up in hotels and meals.
Old Jul 6, 2009, 10:39 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Flying Blue, Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by Danwriter
But compared to, say, the Euro or pound, the A-peso -- currently at 3.8/$1 -- is a bargain that more than compensates for fares higher than what you typically pay for Europe. You'll make it up in hotels and meals.
This is true. Argentina seems to be one of the few first world countries left out there that you can still get a really good value for the dollar.
Old Jul 7, 2009, 11:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum
Thanks for all your help!

The reason I have to go to Argentina in that time is bc I want to spend some time for Christmas and New Year with my family. I cant spend much because I am a student and Im short of $$ right now. I also have to fly in AA because i have a $800 voucher that I got last year for a voluntary bump from JFK to EZE on December 20.

If I cant get a ticket to EZE for around $1000, I will end up using the voucher to go somewhere cheaper... Also I can only stay for around 10-12 days, so I dont think its worth the 1500$.

BTW, elitetraveler: thats for that website... its pretty helpful...
Old Jul 7, 2009, 5:54 pm

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
How much do you like to gamble?

Have you considered ORD-MEX-EZE?

MX is supposed to be a OW member by Dec 09.......
Although there has been one delay announced in that process already.
In the worst case, you get redeemable miles.

Happy wandering

Fred
Old Jul 7, 2009, 8:30 pm

Oh how I long for the days....

Seems not too long ago--- North American summer of 2002. I was living in Buenos Aires and they were in the worst economic crisis the country had seen for a while. Anyway traffic must have been down for people originating in EZE. I did EZE JFK and EZE MIA for $399 round trip several times that summer/winter. What a quick and easy way to make EXP -10 round trips and you were done.
Old Jul 7, 2009, 8:58 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by chfenton
Seems not too long ago--- North American summer of 2002. I was living in Buenos Aires and they were in the worst economic crisis the country had seen for a while. Anyway traffic must have been down for people originating in EZE. I did EZE JFK and EZE MIA for $399 round trip several times that summer/winter. What a quick and easy way to make EXP -10 round trips and you were done.
Those are certainly great fares indeed for that route. However, I'm not sure that I'd classify 10 round trips of EZE to JFK as the "easy" way to EXP.

Regards
Old Jul 16, 2009, 12:23 am

Programs: AA EXP
Come in March or November instead.

The high tourism season for Argentina is Dec 15th - Feb 1st. With Feb and Easter week as the edge season. If you want a cheap ticket, fly the end of November or Christmas / New Years day.

As it is, $1250 is not a bad fare. AA runs a bunch of daily flights... but they canceled the direct ORD-EZE because it was underperforming. I flew it a few times and while the flight was full, you'd see people doing EZE-ORD-JFK even though there is direct, because there was more space / cheaper to route via ORD.

Right now for example, it's cheaper. But that's because i can look out my window and see a cold rain falling.

The high season is doubly bad because it's a very concentrated tourism season, just like August in Europe. You have argentines going north for vacation, foreigners coming to argentina for vacation, and argentines abroad returning to spend vacation with family / visit.

If you can, come in March or November. The weather's wonderful, not ungodly hot, and it's much cheaper. Hotels, rental cars, restaurants, all have tourist season pricing fluctuations too.
Old Jul 16, 2009, 8:04 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by rabble
The high season is doubly bad because it's a very concentrated tourism season, just like August in Europe. You have argentines going north for vacation, foreigners coming to argentina for vacation, and argentines abroad returning to spend vacation with family / visit.
Thanks for all your help! The reason I have to go to Argentina in that time is bc I want to spend some time for Christmas and New Year with my family.
Which is exactly what the OP stated he wants to do - visit family for Christmas/New Year. Advising him/her to come in March or November doesn't really help

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.