Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Consolidated) > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Merger)
Sign in using an external account

Old Dec 24, 08, 8:36 am   #1

Programs: DL FO (I miss PM!)
ORD / Chicago O'Hare Connection & Times - Domestic and International (consolidated)

Hello all!

My GF is traveling OTP-LHR-ORD-TPA today. She is due to arrive in TPA at 10:30 PM. The only issue I see is her 1.45hr connection time out of ORD. She has to clear customs & immigration, then possibly go through security?

Should I be concerned? I generally connect via ATL or JFK and have never been to ORD.

Thanks

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MODERATOR'S NOTE:

For general information, see:

AA FAQ: Will I make my connection?
AA Wiki: Minimum Connecting Times

ORD Airport Website
Airport Transit System (ATS) train (outside of security) - transfers between International Terminal 5 and Domestic Terminals 1,2,3

FT: Everything you wanted to know about AA terminal / connections at Chicago - ORD

AA.com: Admirals Club and Flagship Lounge Locations and Hours

AA Terminal Map:

dstan
AA Forum Co-Moderator

Last edited by JDiver; Oct 18, 12 at 7:38 pm..
Denolloyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 08, 9:00 am   #2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Plat/million, AA 1 mil, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Since she's on the last AA ORD-TPA flight today, and already underway, there's nothing one can do about it. Anticipate a phone call between 8 and 9PM announcing she's missed her flight.
3Cforme is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 08, 9:04 am   #3

Programs: BAEC redundant Bronze, AAdvantage Lifetime PLT, CO, WN, B6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denolloyd View Post
Hello all!

My GF is traveling OTP-LHR-ORD-TPA today. She is due to arrive in TPA at 10:30 PM. The only issue I see is her 1.45hr connection time out of ORD. She has to clear customs & immigration, then possibly go through security?

Should I be concerned? I generally connect via ATL or JFK and have never been to ORD.
IMO ORD is easier for international connections than either JFK or ATL. yes, she will have to go through security again - you do on every international entry to the best of my knowledge. In fact she'll arrive at the international terminal, clear customs etc., re-check bags, go upstairs to the shuttle train and go through security at the AA concourse. On a good day, even as a non-US citizen I've done that in 45 minutes. The worst scenario is ifthe flight is delayed and she arrives behind 4 or 5 other European flights. That's in the lap of Gods so I wouldn't stress about it at this point.
Old Dec 24, 08, 9:06 am   #4

Programs: AA PLT; UA, DL dribs & drabs
Quote:
Hello all!

Thanks
It will be tight at best. I just did that connection (though on United): land at Terminal 5, spend about 10 minutes walking those LOOONG corridors to clear immigration (stand in line), collect checked baggage, go through customs, recheck baggage (another line), verify what gate the connection leaves from (including terminal), take skytrain to domestic terminal (wait for train), go through security again (another line), and find the gate. Flying on a quiet Saturday I had 1h35 to connect, but the plane landed ORD 10-15 mins late. I arrived breathless at the gate just as they called boarding but only because I had been able to trim time at almost ever step: I flew TATL in the front of empty Y, checked no baggage, practically ran through the terminal, had no customs or agriculture inspection, and hardly any waiting on line. Yeah, 1h45 looks fine on paper but it's really not enough.

On the other hand, with delays at ORD, who knows? You can be prepared by having a list of alternate flights for your girlfriend and the appropriate phone numbers to give her when she calls you on landing. She IS going to call you when she lands in Chicago, right?

Good luck!
Fornebufox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 08, 9:08 am   #5
Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP
In my experience, she should be okay, but she'll have to move quickly.

International arrivals will be @ Terminal 5. She'll have to clear the immigrations hall, get her baggage (if she has any), go through customs, drop off her luggage (if she has any) for domestic routing, take the tram over to Terminal 3, go through TSA security, then head to her gate.

The last time I did this, I had a 2 hour layover and had about 15 min to spare.
JY1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 08, 9:32 am   #6

Thanks all for the info. CNN just reported ORD is averaging 1hr 40min delays. I hope if anything, the delays will benefit her.
Old Dec 24, 08, 9:39 am   #7

Programs: AA 1MM / LT GLD; UA Silver ,Hilton Diamond, PC Platinum
Quote:
Hello all!

Thanks
I'm usually lucky at ORD, compared to what other FTers seems to experience, as far as international-to-domestic connections go. I'd feel pretty comfortable with 1:45, though I don't know how the holiday travel will affect it.
ty97 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 08, 10:28 am   #8

Programs: AA EXP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ty97 View Post
I'm usually lucky at ORD, compared to what other FTers seems to experience, as far as international-to-domestic connections go. I'd feel pretty comfortable with 1:45, though I don't know how the holiday travel will affect it.
Same here, on a normal day 1:45 would seem more than enough but right now it is hard to predict as delays elsewhere could cause problems clearing immigration or delays getting baggage out.

Without bags to collect I normally take less than 35mins from the time the door opens on my arriving international flight to the time I'm standing at the domestic departure gate, fastest was about 25 mins.
Mark_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 08, 10:38 am   #9
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, Hilton Diamond
I'm always concerned about a 1 hour 45 minute connection - even domestic - through ORD in the winter. Add in international and holiday traffic, and I would have been concerned enough not to have booked it.

The time to be concerned is when choosing flights. Being concerned now does nothing but raise your stress level. What will happen will happen.
gemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 08, 12:02 pm   #10

Programs: AA-EXP/3MM, Marriott Plat, Starwood Plat
If she has no bags and the inbound flight is on time, it is easy.

If she has checked luggage, she may or may not make it. I've done better, but there are so many vagaries.
925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 08, 12:11 pm   #11

I recently connected PVG-ORD onwards to ORD-LGA and made it from gate to gate (with terminal transfer) in an not too shabby 45 minutes. So it's far from impossible. I was in J and had no checked bags, which matters, but still don't give up all hope yet.

Now today is not a normal travel day at ORD due to weather but mine wasn't either (Sunday after Thanksgiving) in terms of heavy flight loads, though weather wasn't a factor.

Keep your fingers crossed and advise her to haul from the gate and through immigration/customs, but it's not a lost cause.
c_stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 08, 12:38 pm   #12

Programs: AA, UA PremGold, HH Silver, Marriott Gold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fornebufox View Post
<snip>

On the other hand, with delays at ORD, who knows? You can be prepared by having a list of alternate flights for your girlfriend and the appropriate phone numbers to give her when she calls you on landing. She IS going to call you when she lands in Chicago, right?

Good luck!
Alternate flights? Given all the cancellations the last few days, I doubt there are too many alternatives with empty seats at this point.

The local newscasts were interviewing people who had canceled flights on the 23rd who weren't getting out until the 25th....

---Matt
mmayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 08, 2:25 pm   #13

Quote:
Thanks all for the info. CNN just reported ORD is averaging 1hr 40min delays. I hope if anything, the delays will benefit her.
What are all the flight numbers?
Looks like AA47 and AA782

AA47 is scheduled arrival 9 minutes late (as of now)
AA782 still posted on time but most flights from ORD are late today
Hope she does not have checked luggage

Last edited by zman; Dec 24, 08 at 2:34 pm..
zman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 08, 2:59 pm   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman View Post
What are all the flight numbers?
Looks like AA47 and AA782

AA47 is scheduled arrival 9 minutes late (as of now)
AA782 still posted on time but most flights from ORD are late today
Hope she does not have checked luggage
Yes, those are the correct flight numbers

Unfortunately, she does have checked luggage I really hope she doesn't end up spending the night in ORD. I guess we will have to wait and see. Once again, thanks everyone for your input. The reason she booked the flight with such a close connection, was when we fly DL INT out of JFK, the flight times are often heavily padded due to expected ground delays (and the fare was Extremely reasonable). We were hoping AA was similar. I will let you know how it turns out.
Old Dec 24, 08, 3:10 pm   #15

Programs: BAEC redundant Bronze, AAdvantage Lifetime PLT, CO, WN, B6
Quote:
Unfortunately, she does have checked luggage I really hope she doesn't end up spending the night in ORD. I guess we will have to wait and see. Once again, thanks everyone for your input.
I wouldn't get too stressed about the baggage. My experiences of ORD were that using the aliens line I usually arrived at the carousel about the same time as my bags, and I didn't ever come close to missing a connection - most times I ended up kicking my heels in the Admirals Club for at least 30 minutes.