Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Emotional Support Animals. Are you kidding me? A rant.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2009, 12:01 am

Programs: Mucci Diamond Hairbrush Elite, AA Plat, BA Blue, and a host of others.
Originally Posted by MIA-SAT
There is an interesting article in today's New York Times magazine on this issue. There is a distinction between a service animal and an emotional support animal and it centers on the service that the animal can perform for the person with disabilities. The article also describes animals whose support services are perhaps surprising, but necessary. The issue appears to be fraught with legal issues for the airlines and for those who claim the need for the animal. If you cannot specifically name the service the animal is providing, your animal might not fly with you. However, the airlines and employers and others like grocery stores must be careful as to how they make the inquiry so as to avoid legal action. The issue is a whole lot more complex than I thought from both sides. Example, how do you address the need that a person may have to have a monkey as their service animal when the person and the monkey are in the produce section of the grocery store? That is one of the more extreme examples, but the issue is certainly not simple, for airlines, other service providers and employers.
Link
Old Sep 18, 2009, 9:12 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
This Forum is about flying American Airlines and earning / burning AAdvantage miles, and making other members' American Airlines flying more productive. This thread is marginally about American Airlines (as the alleged incident occurred on AA,) but today has rapidly descended into ad hominem, a rant and reactions to all that.

The thread is now closed to further tangential discussion. Thanks for your participation - and understanding. Let's get back to flying and miles...

/Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.