skylink at DFW

Old Mar 23, 2011, 10:43 am

Programs: AA EXP - CK, DL PM, *Wood Plat, Hyatt Plat, Hertz President's Circle
Sorry to bring up the old thread, but....

As DFW is home, it is strange that I am connecting for the first time!

If one arrives at the high D gates (35+) and the other flight leaves out of the mid-C's (C15-20), is it faster to walk it (the walkway over int'l pkwy) or SkyLink?

Thanks all!
Old Mar 23, 2011, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by ckg1999
Sorry to bring up the old thread, but....

As DFW is home, it is strange that I am connecting for the first time!

If one arrives at the high D gates (35+) and the other flight leaves out of the mid-C's (C15-20), is it faster to walk it (the walkway over int'l pkwy) or SkyLink?

Thanks all!
Skylink! I've always found the Skylink to be faster than not using it, unless you're just moving 5 or 6 gates. The wait is pretty short and the train moves quickly.
Old Mar 23, 2011, 12:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP Hyatt Dia SPG Gold Fairmont Plat
Originally Posted by ckg1999
It is close to a wash. It is a hike from high Ds to skylink, but you are standing right at the escalator to C. The bridge from C-D is long, but is about 75% moving walks. Low Cs can be JAM packed, making a brisk walk difficult, but that is about the same as walking from high D to skylink. From 30 D to 15 C on skylink is almost the max distance you can intelligently take on skylink. Both will take you about 10 minutes depending on how leisurely you are.

I like the walk better, but that might be because I take skylink so often.
Old Mar 23, 2011, 1:30 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by qbrain
It is a hike from high Ds to skylink
Unless s/he is arriving at D38-40, I wouldn't call it "a hike."
Old Mar 23, 2011, 8:07 pm
wpj

Programs: AA EXP 3.2MM, Hyatt Courtesy Card/Diamond, Hertz #1 Gold
I videoed my first experience in Skylink the other day between C and D , took the longer train due to not paying attention in the signs properly..

http://wpjrnl.com/2011/03/20/video-h...k-ride-in-dfw/
Old Mar 23, 2011, 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by wpj
between C and D , took the longer train due to not paying attention in the signs properly
The time penalty from taking the "wrong" train between C-D is almost negligible.
Old Mar 24, 2011, 3:20 am

Programs: AA: Plat, AF: Silver
From what I understand the Skylink is an airside train. Therefore, my question is : if I am arriving on an international flight into D23 - I will presumably clear immigration & customs per normal.

As my next flight is from C31, should I go through security in terminal D (am I allowed with a bp for Terminal C?) ? or should I walk over to Terminal C (can I do so? or do I need to find the landside shuttle.

Also, will I be able to recheck my bags in Terminal D?

Lastly, any comments as to a 2 hour Intl-Domestic connection?

Thanks.
Old Mar 24, 2011, 4:55 am

Programs: AA EXP & 1MM (Lifetime Gold); Marriott Gold; National Exec Emerald's
Originally Posted by intltraveller
From what I understand the Skylink is an airside train. Therefore, my question is : if I am arriving on an international flight into D23 - I will presumably clear immigration & customs per normal.

As my next flight is from C31, should I go through security in terminal D (am I allowed with a bp for Terminal C?) ? or should I walk over to Terminal C (can I do so? or do I need to find the landside shuttle.

Also, will I be able to recheck my bags in Terminal D?

Thanks.
I connect from international flights at DFW frequently.

Once you clear immigration, you will head to baggage claim and retrieve your checked bags. Then clear customs and immediately afterwards is where you will recheck your luggage. There is someone there who will confirm where your luggage is checked to and will direct you to one of two areas. Once you drop off your checked luggage head up the escalator to the security area. You can clear security there for any of the terminals. Once through security you can go to one of two areas in terminal D to catch the Skylink train. Two hours is plenty of time in DFW - even with long lines at immigration.
Old Mar 24, 2011, 6:12 am

Programs: AA EXP/MM, HGP ♦; former elite in Hilton, Marriott & DL (just under MM thanks to Leo)
Stay in D as long as you can for the better restaurants, lounges and general ambiance :-)

Plus we are entering the rain/hail/tornado season here in Texas, so the domestic gate roulette action between terminals C-B-A-D begins in earnest. Since you mention gate C31, I assume you are en-route and arriving today. If so, great, it will be sunny, warm, happy travels. Most likely C31 it is.

So for connections from now till the end of May, begin monitoring early your domestic flight gate assignment to be prepared (to move terminals) and for your amusement. They will assign one for your connecting flight and it may change about 3 hours before departure and then may change once or twice more (once it starts changing, sometimes it seems to bounce like a roulette ball, lol). Otherwise they do a good job of getting out via the first/early gate assignment.

I don't do international connects in DFW often, but I normally don't choose to move from D terminal earlier than 50 mins before schedule departure. Do give yourself 20 mins, but terminal moves should take 5-8 mins gate-to-gate via skylink.
Old Mar 24, 2011, 8:24 am

Programs: AA: Plat, AF: Silver
Thanks to both - good to know that there will be no pressure & that I'm better staying in D as long as possible.
Old Mar 24, 2011, 10:38 am

No. You're good. There is no need to go through TSA in C. I've done the international connection many times in DFW where I go through customs, go through TSA, and then have to use Skylink to get to the next terminal.
Old Mar 24, 2011, 11:07 am

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by traveling_again
Plus we are entering the rain/hail/tornado season here in Texas, so the domestic gate roulette action between terminals C-B-A-D begins in earnest.
The terminal roulette shouldn't include B unless there are aircraft swaps between Eagle and Mainline (which I would guess almost never occur).
Old Mar 24, 2011, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
DFW has wonderful volunteer folks called Ambassadors who have stands near SkyLink and other airport key spots. They can help you find your way. Very handy when jet lag kicks in.
Old Mar 24, 2011, 2:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP Hyatt Dia SPG Gold Fairmont Plat
Originally Posted by dayone
Unless s/he is arriving at D38-40, I wouldn't call it "a hike."
Does 38-40 fall under his 35+ or not?
Old Mar 24, 2011, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by qbrain
Does 38-40 fall under his 35+ or not?
Having a bad day?

I was merely pointing out that only the last three D gates are materially far enough away from the Skylink station to be considered "a hike."

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.