Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

AA refuses Hotel for alleged flight delays due to Air traffic control problems

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2008, 4:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage EXP& 2Million miler, Skywards Gold, Delta Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold

Recently I and my wife flew KUL-LAX and connected to AA via DFW to MCO. Our flight from LAX to DFW was delayed over two hours and we missed our last flight out of DFW to MCO forcing us to overnight. AA refused us Hotel accommodation in DFW at 11 Pm at night as the flight allegedly was delayed on take off from SFO to LAX due to air traffic control problems and we are not entitled a Hotel. It took us two hours to find a Hotel.
Old Sep 3, 2008, 4:49 pm

Correct. You are not entitled to a hotel for weather or traffic control reasons.
Old Sep 3, 2008, 4:50 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
I'm sorry to hear that. As EXP, I would expect that they would pony up for a hotel even though they may not have to. They've always done it for us even when it was not their fault (how about a broken plane on a runway preventing our takeoff). Did you only talk to local staff, or EXP desk as well? Sometimes they can make things happen. What about AC...or were they still open?

Cheers.
Old Sep 3, 2008, 4:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage EXP& 2Million miler, Skywards Gold, Delta Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by brp
I'm sorry to hear that. As EXP, I would expect that they would pony up for a hotel even though they may not have to. They've always done it for us even when it was not their fault (how about a broken plane on a runway preventing our takeoff). Did you only talk to local staff, or EXP desk as well? Sometimes they can make things happen. What about AC...or were they still open?

Cheers.
Thanks for your nice reply. The Admirals club was closed It didn't occur to try the EXP desk. I will do so next time
Old Sep 3, 2008, 5:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by millionmiler
Correct. You are not entitled to a hotel for weather or traffic control reasons.
If there is a traffic control problem in DFW causing the plane to be delayed in SFO and then to LAX then what happens? How do you verify it?
Old Sep 3, 2008, 5:04 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by millionmiler
Entitled is one thing. What AA typically gives EXPs is another, IME. I've found it to be one of the benefits of status- I've gotten hotels when I was not "entitled."

Cheers.
Old Sep 3, 2008, 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by brp
Entitled is one thing. What AA typically gives EXPs is another, IME. I've found it to be one of the benefits of status- I've gotten hotels when I was not "entitled."

Cheers.
The OP used the word "entitled". I answered the question.
Old Sep 3, 2008, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by brp

Cheers.
Perhaps it wasn't clear to the agent that the OP was an EXP. Also, despite delays and extreme fatigue, it is important to be as nice as possible to the AAgents.
Old Sep 3, 2008, 5:10 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by formeraa
Also, despite delays and extreme fatigue, it is important to be as nice as possible to the AAgents.
Absolutely. They are doing something of a favor in this case, and whiners don't usually get favors. Being nice helps a great deal.

Cheers.
Old Sep 3, 2008, 5:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by formeraa
Perhaps it wasn't clear to the agent that the OP was an EXP. Also, despite delays and extreme fatigue, it is important to be as nice as possible to the AAgents.
I am always nice to staff as they have to follow policies. The agent was clearly aware that I was an EXP and even suggested that I should claim my Hotel expenses from CS stating my status
Old Sep 3, 2008, 5:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CO FF
I see that you seem to follow that ethos too.
Absolutely. You will also follow it if you travel to India as often as I do.
Old Sep 3, 2008, 5:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LT Plt, Mets fan
Originally Posted by drbala
Absolutely. You will also follow it if you travel to India as often as I do.
This was DFW, en route to MCO. Get over it; you weren't entitled to it.
Old Sep 4, 2008, 12:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
I am always nice to staff as they have to follow policies. The agent was clearly aware that I was an EXP and even suggested that I should claim my Hotel expenses from CS stating my status
I suspect the ATC issue was also a weather one. How is this the airline's fault. Given the financial issues airlines are facing, why should they have to pay for the hotel?
Old Sep 4, 2008, 12:34 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Recently I and my wife flew KUL-LAX and connected to AA via DFW to MCO. Our flight from LAX to DFW was delayed over two hours and we missed our last flight out of DFW to MCO forcing us to overnight. AA refused us Hotel accommodation in DFW at 11 Pm at night as the flight allegedly was delayed on take off from SFO to LAX due to air traffic control problems and we are not entitled a Hotel. It took us two hours to find a Hotel.
AA should have gotten you a hotel at a "reduced" rate, which they have negotiated with many of the motels (and hotels) which are near dfw--there are lots of these; most have shuttle buses to get you there and back.
Old Sep 4, 2008, 1:51 am

Programs: AA Plat, NW, SQ
Do you hold an non-US passport, you can force the issue and get accomodations if you are on an international itineary.

International airlines compete very competitively.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.