Traditional Meal Times on AA?

Old Sep 2, 2008, 2:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2 MM
Originally Posted by jrussell
Thanks for the meal windows JDiver.

Since AA2081 (10:45 - 1:35) is clearly within the lunch window, it must just be an anomaly. AA has no competition on this route which probably explains everything. They could probably run it as a beverage only flight and not lose too much business and they know it.
aa.com says "Snack or Brunch", so it seems you should get a light meal of some sort.
Old Sep 2, 2008, 3:02 pm

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
Originally Posted by JDiver
Traditional meal windows used to be, and may (or may well not, given we are generally served breakfast on AA 1612, Lv SFO 09:30, Arv ORD 15:35) still be:

First Class Domestic Meal Windows:
Breakfast: 4 a.m. – 9 a.m.
Lunch: Noon – 1:30 p.m.
Dinner: 5:30 p.m. – 7:30 p.m.
Flights under 2 hrs must depart in or be in air during window.

AA 2440/ 09 Dec LAX-DFW 9.50am -2.55pm most of it is inside the Lunch Window, but AA.com says Breakfast. I'm not a Big Lover of an AA breakfast after I have just enjoyed the FL Breakfast at LAX.

Last edited by dstan; Jul 31, 2009 at 10:46 am Reason: fixed broken quote
Old Nov 2, 2008, 5:03 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Have just realised this a big issue for people on a MR, with multiple flights and lounge visits on the same day it becomes complicated to plan when to eat.

I think the AA definitions are a little vague and it's making it difficult to plan.

This thread could lead to a sticky/wiki article.

An extra data-point:
aa 1374 ORD MIA dep 1415 arr 1820
First Class Meal: Snack or brunch

From reading here it seems "Snack or brunch" could be a proper lunch or a cookie!
Old Nov 2, 2008, 5:23 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by EchoIndia
Have just realised this a big issue for people on a MR, with multiple flights and lounge visits on the same day it becomes complicated to plan when to eat.

I think the AA definitions are a little vague and it's making it difficult to plan.

This thread could lead to a sticky/wiki article.

An extra data-point:
aa 1374 ORD MIA dep 1415 arr 1820
First Class Meal: Snack or brunch

From reading here it seems "Snack or brunch" could be a proper lunch or a cookie!
No, a snack and a lunch will both have a cookie for desert. "Refreshment" is warm nuts and a cookie.
Old Nov 2, 2008, 6:39 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by aamilesslave
No, a snack and a lunch will both have a cookie for desert. "Refreshment" is warm nuts and a cookie.
Does "brunch" generally = "lunch"?
Old Nov 20, 2008, 7:19 pm
Suspended

I have a 2:05 pm EWR-MIA this week. It's says "Snack/Brunch". So it seems I'll get a proper (but cold) meal?
Old Nov 20, 2008, 8:43 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by BenjaminNYC
I have a 2:05 pm EWR-MIA this week. It's says "Snack/Brunch". So it seems I'll get a proper (but cold) meal?
Should be hot this time of year (e.g. BBQ Sandwich, Pizza, Enchilada, Pasta/ChickinStrips). Cold sandwiches and salads are typically summer fare.
Old Nov 20, 2008, 9:14 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by aamilesslave
Should be hot this time of year (e.g. BBQ Sandwich, Pizza, Enchilada, Pasta/ChickinStrips). Cold sandwiches and salads are typically summer fare.
Gracias. Is there typically a choice? The chicken strips are still around??
Old Nov 20, 2008, 9:31 pm

Yes, two choices. Haven't seen the chicken strips in awhile, but I'm usually on dinner flights.
Old Nov 21, 2008, 12:23 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
Here is what I know on the subject. AA divides flight by direction -- North, South, East and West. Not all flights in all direction are created equal. The meal times listed by JDiver (very nice to hear from you again) may still apply but they are not applied to all flights equally. AA has more west bound flights that fly during traditional meal windows than in any other direction. Post 9/11, it was determined that, due to budgetary constraints, it wasn't possible to provide standard breakfast/lunch/dinner meals on all flights. As such, the west bound flights saw the biggest cuts. I have no insight into the determining factors that led to specific flights as being coded for standard meals and which flights were coded for brunch/snack. An educated guess would assume routes that had significant paid F would have been the least likely to be cut.

I learned of this information over a year ago. AA might have made some changes for 2008 to increase the number of flights that are catered with standard meals. I don't know what is in store for 2009, but AA is studying the soft product of their international competitors and does have intentions to expand food & bev. To what extent, I do not know.

Anyway, back to the point of this thread. When booking flights, I don't think one should assume a meal based on traditional meal windows. It is always best to check aa.com at the very least. In my experience, aa.com was incorrect only once. An HNL-LAX flight was coded as lunch, but it in fact was dinner.
Old Nov 21, 2008, 5:14 am

Programs: AA EXP 2 MM
No obvious logic in:
AA 1476 DFW Nov 30 03:55 PM DCA Nov 30 07:35 PM M80 First Snack or Brunch
AA 1442 ORD Nov 30 04:25 PM DCA Nov 30 07:10 PM M80 First Dinner
Old Nov 21, 2008, 7:35 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, AC Member, Marriott Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Emerald Club Executive
The wife and I are booked on AA1068 MIA to DCA on Monday, 9:45 am to 12:05 pm. Upgrades confirmed yesterday morning (yay) and meal is described on aa.com as "continental breakfast".

Of course the wife's definition of continental breakfast is to drink the plane's entire supply of champagne, as we did on the MIA-ORD leg of our trip to Europe earlier this year!
Old Nov 21, 2008, 9:53 am

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
What is the difference between breakfast and continental breakfast? I'm booked on J (w/ EVIP from my EXP father) for 70 DfW-FRA but noticed ORD-FRA is continental breakfast. Is this b/c ORD gets in at 11:10 while DFW gets in at 7:20???
Old Nov 21, 2008, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AAerSTL
What is the difference between breakfast and continental breakfast? I'm booked on J (w/ EVIP from my EXP father) for 70 DfW-FRA but noticed ORD-FRA is continental breakfast. Is this b/c ORD gets in at 11:10 while DFW gets in at 7:20???
Breakfast is usually eggs or cereal plus rolls and fruit; continental breaksfast is usually exactly the same as everywhere else: rolls and fruit. No eggs. No cereal.
Old Nov 22, 2008, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by photodave
The wife and I are booked on AA1068 MIA to DCA on Monday, 9:45 am to 12:05 pm. Upgrades confirmed yesterday morning (yay) and meal is described on aa.com as "continental breakfast".

Of course the wife's definition of continental breakfast is to drink the plane's entire supply of champagne, as we did on the MIA-ORD leg of our trip to Europe earlier this year!
AA doesn't serve champagne on these domestic flights. Your wife must have been drinking that sparkling vile fluid from the left coast. She should have waited for the good stuff after take-off on the flight to Europe, assuming you were in J/F on that segment .

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.