Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Consolidated) > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Merger)
Sign in using an external account

Hide Wikipost
Old Aug 27, 14, 9:47 am   -   Wikipost
FlyerTalk Forums Thread Wiki: Same Day Confirmed Flight Change / SDC / CFC / "Standby" (consolidated)
Please read: this is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread.

Last edit by: JDiver
Wikipost instructions: signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost to update; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

The price to confirm same day flight change is now $75*:
http://www.aa.com/aa/pubcontent/en_U...eDayTravel.jsp

Quote:
Same-Day Flight Changes

Did you know you can change your domestic flight† and get a confirmed seat for a $75 (non-refundable) charge? The option is available on all fares in the Main Cabin. For $75 you can confirm a seat on a different flight as long as the alternate flight:

1. Has the same origin AND destination
2. Is the same calendar day of departure
3. Has eligible seats available

We continue to offer the same-day stand by option for an earlier or later domestic flight for select customers at no charge.

We now have four convenient options to make same-day flight changes:

1. Online: Beginning 24 hours prior to departure, you can request a same-day flight change on aa.com through the check-in window. Just select each passenger who is requesting a flight change and pay the non-refundable $75 per passenger charge.

2. Over the Phone: Beginning 24 hours prior to departure, you can call Reservations and our agents will provide information for available flights departing on the same day as your original flight. The non-refundable $75 charge can be paid over the phone via credit card.

Once you arrive at the airport, you can check in for your new flight at Curbside Check-In, Self-Service Check-In, or our ticket counter.

3. At a Check-In Kiosk: Beginning 12 hours prior to departure, the Self-Service Check-In machines will provide a list of available flights for the same day as your original flight. Just choose the flight, pay the non-refundable $75 charge, and complete the check-in process. You will receive a boarding pass for your newly confirmed flight and a receipt for the charge.

4. At the Ticket Counter: Beginning 24 hours prior to departure, our agents can provide a list of available flights for the same day as your original flight. Just choose the flight and pay the non-refundable $75 charge. You will receive a boarding pass for your newly confirmed flight and a receipt for the charge.

Same-day flight changes are subject to Terms and Conditions.

†Available for flights in the U.S., Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands, Canada and the Caribbean on American Airlines, American Eagle® and AmericanConnection®.

*Note: 1.Passengers traveling on unrestricted Y fares and AAdvantage AAnytime travel awards have the flexibility to change flight arrangements at no charge. Passengers traveling on AAdvantage MileSAAver awards continue to have the flexibility to change the date/time of their flights at no charge, provided award seats are available on the desired flight. If award seats are not available on the desired flight, you may obtain a confirmed seat on the same day by paying the $75 charge.
Quote:
Tips

Passengers traveling on unrestricted Y fares and AAdvantage AAnytime travel awards have the flexibility to change flight arrangements at no charge. Passengers traveling on AAdvantage MileSAAver awards continue to have the flexibility to change the date/time of their flights at no charge, provided award seats are available on the desired flight. If award seats are not available on the desired flight, you may obtain a confirmed seat on the same day by paying the $75 charge.

Customers who purchased a Choice Plus fare have the flexibility to change one flight at no charge, provided seats are available on the desired flight.
Looking for more information? Please see our Frequently Asked Questions.

†Available for flights in the U.S., Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands, Canada and the Caribbean on American Airlines, American Eagle and American Connection®.

* Same-day flight change charges are non-refundable. Same-day standby charges are automatically refunded if you are not accommodated on the standby flight.
. . . N.B. Inventory must be available in "E" bucket in order for Confirmed Flight Change to be offered

Print Wikipost

Old May 7, 08, 11:24 am   #1
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA 1.1 MM/LT Gold, HHonors Gold, Best Western/GCCI Diamond
Same Day Confirmed Flight Change / SDC / CFC / "Standby" (consolidated)

The price to confirm same day flight change is now $75*:
http://www.aa.com/aa/pubcontent/en_U...eDayTravel.jsp

*this post was edited to replace the now obsolete $50** with the current $75 (Jan 7 2012)

**this post was edited to replace the now obsolete $35 to the current $50

===================MODERATOR NOTE==================

Moved to wikipost.

Last edited by JDiver; Aug 6, 14 at 5:32 pm. Reason: moved text to wikipost for member updating
miamigrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 08, 11:50 am   #2

Programs: AA EXP, 1 MM, AC, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*
Bound to happen, the way things are going.

Still not too bad a deal if you need to make a change, plus standby is still free. DL is charging $50 and must be within three hours, instead of 12 hours allowed by AA.
videomaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 08, 11:57 am   #3

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, Lifetime Platinum, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Travelers Aid JFK Volunteer
I'm surprised there was no press release or "news" page posting...was AA hoping to "slip it in" without anyone noticing?
ESpen36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 08, 11:57 am   #4
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA 1.1 MM/LT Gold, HHonors Gold, Best Western/GCCI Diamond
I agree that it's a relatively good value. However, IMO, it lost some of its appeal with the change in how upgrades are prioritized.

Previously, I would only consider the same day confirmed flight change if I wanted to later request an upgrade for an earlier flight (presumably, if the confirmed same day flight change is available then it's likely I could standby for free and get on). Now, since upgrades are based on original request time, it doesn't make much sense for me to confirm standby for an earlier flight... too much risk of not being able to then upgrade.

YMMY

Last edited by miamigrad; May 7, 08 at 3:37 pm.
miamigrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 08, 2:40 pm   #5

Programs: AA Platinum/1MM Lifetime Gold, TACA/Avianca Lifemiles Oro
And you can still get them for free with the right fares so on deep discount there has to be a cost or nobody would pay for the right fares.
ricktoronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 08, 2:47 pm   #6
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2M, MR & SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat Avis Pref
I haven't used this yet anyway but this sure isn't going to make me use it any quicker on Nickel and dime airline
Old May 7, 08, 3:04 pm   #7
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricktoronto View Post
And you can still get them for free with the right fares so on deep discount there has to be a cost or nobody would pay for the right fares.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse View Post
I haven't used this yet anyway but this sure isn't going to make me use it any quicker on Nickel and dime airline
I think ricktoronto's point is made here. People want to pay for the cheap fares, and yet have flexibility with no fees associated. And, when fees are associated with the cheap fares, it gets termed "nickel and diming."

Cheers.
brp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 08, 3:17 pm   #8

Still, when one books on a cheap fare and wants the comfort of a confirmed seat on an earlier flight, the $35 is a hell lot of cheaper than a full fare.

Well worth to me when its a rainy Miami day and I just want to get back to NYC earlier.
newyorkgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 08, 4:55 pm   #9
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, HH Gold, DL/UA/CO/AS Elite
Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge View Post
Still, when one books on a cheap fare and wants the comfort of a confirmed seat on an earlier flight, the $35 is a hell lot of cheaper than a full fare.

Well worth to me when its a rainy Miami day and I just want to get back to NYC earlier.
I agree. I am in Miami right now after paying for the confirmed nonstop to SFO
It was the only one of my SFO-SJU runs that forced me to go to ORD to get the cheap fare. I called at about 9 AM this morning for the 8:05 PM flight.
My card is showing a $25 authorization pending. I guess I slipped by.
mvoight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 08, 6:08 pm   #10

Programs: AA PLT 2.7 MM, DL GLD, UA Prem, BW Diamond, PC PLT, HH Diamond
Anyone know for sure what AA considers and eligible seat? as in: "If eligible seats are available within 12 hours of departure of alternate flights for your same itinerary, your flight change can be confirmed"
shadesofgrey1x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 08, 6:16 pm   #11
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2M, MR & SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat Avis Pref
Quote:
Originally Posted by brp View Post
I think ricktoronto's point is made here. People want to pay for the cheap fares, and yet have flexibility with no fees associated. And, when fees are associated with the cheap fares, it gets termed "nickel and diming."

Cheers.
Yes exactly.. its nickel and diming..

$15 to use the phone on something I can't do over the internet
$15 to go to an airline ticket counter
$75 or whatever it is to make an award less then 21 days (even If I don't interact with someone)
$15 or whatever to change a seat not made on AA.com
$3 for chips
$2 for a bottle of water that I can't bring thru security
$25 for a 2nd bag
$35 to confirm an already open seat the same day
$300 to copay with my miles I already earned

not sure on the dollars written as I avoid giving any airline a penny more than I have to

this all after I've paid for my ticket with money or miles

I'm sure I've forgotten some but that was just off the top of my head
Old May 7, 08, 6:57 pm   #12

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Quote:
Good thing the grass is always greener...
Old May 7, 08, 7:07 pm   #13

Programs: AA
The confirmed fee also allows a LATER flight the same day. Obviously you can't just standby for a LATER flight. Unless you have a flat tire I have no problem with paying $35 for this.
bobovespa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 08, 7:18 pm   #14

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobovespa View Post
Obviously you can't just standby for a LATER flight. Unless you have a flat tire I have no problem with paying $35 for this.
Well, yes you can. But it is riskier to standby after your scheduled flight has departed. I agree that especially in that situation the $35 is worth the peace of mind.
Old May 7, 08, 8:04 pm   #15
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/2MM
Quote:
Originally Posted by videomaker View Post
Bound to happen, the way things are going.

Still not too bad a deal if you need to make a change, plus standby is still free. DL is charging $50 and must be within three hours, instead of 12 hours allowed by AA.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadesofgrey1x View Post
Anyone know for sure what AA considers and eligible seat? as in: "If eligible seats are available within 12 hours of departure of alternate flights for your same itinerary, your flight change can be confirmed"
This is the flipside of the difference between AA's policy and DL's. On DL, any unsold seat is yours. On AA, you need to have quite a few seats (at least 6 or 7 IME) available for sale before you can do a CFC.
Quote:

$15 to use the phone on something I can't do over the internet
$15 to go to an airline ticket counter
$75 or whatever it is to make an award less then 21 days (even If I don't interact with someone)
$15 or whatever to change a seat not made on AA.com
$3 for chips
$2 for a bottle of water that I can't bring thru security
$25 for a 2nd bag
$35 to confirm an already open seat the same day
$300 to copay with my miles I already earned

not sure on the dollars written as I avoid giving any airline a penny more than I have to

this all after I've paid for my ticket with money or miles

I'm sure I've forgotten some but that was just off the top of my head
I guess you'd rather have all of the above be free and pay $800 for LGA-MIA in the back? If so, you're in the vast minority. I don't love the fees, but I understand the reasons for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oklAAhoma View Post
Good thing the grass is always greener...
Indeed.
vasantn is online now   Reply With Quote