Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Consolidated) > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Merger)
Sign in using an external account

Hide Wikipost
Old May 31, 14, 1:22 pm   -   Wikipost
FlyerTalk Forums Thread Wiki: Citi card reduced mileage award / awards (consolidated)
Please read: this is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread.

Last edit by: swag
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

Reduced Mileage Awards are available to AAdvantage-branded credit card holders, and require fewer miles than MileSAAver Awards, with destinations varying quarterly. As of June 2013, the eligible cities will change each calendar month.

They can only be booked for roundtrip travel at a 7,500 mile or 5,000 mile discount to the normal roundtrip MileSAAver Award level. As of June 2013, these may now be booked as one way awards, with savings of 3,750 or 2,500 miles each way.

(Discount varies based on the type of credit card you have.) They can only be booked via phone and incur the standard additional $25 telephone booking fee, which is waived for EXP members.

All AA Awards are still subject to certain taxes and fees, which are generally $5.00 per ticket for domestic destinations, but can be much higher for international destinations.

Direct link to current Reduced Mileage Awards: http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/ea...ed_mileage.jsp

General information on Reduced Mileage Awards: http://creditcards.citi.com/reward-p...eward-program/

Print Wikipost

Old Jun 5, 12, 9:41 am   #421

Citi card reduced mileage awards

Is there a way to access the third quarter reduced mileage list other than wait until very late in June for Citi to release the list? At one point we could
go into AA and find the list. WHY must citi wait so late for the release?
texasflyer123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 12, 12:55 pm   #422

Programs: UA nothing (former multi-year CO Platinum), AA 1M Gold, HH Diamond, National Executive
3Q2012 Locations Now Posted

https://creditcards.citi.com/reward-...ileage-awards/
Flyer737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 12, 6:49 pm   #423

Programs: US CP, SPG
Can anyone confirm if these redemptions are eligible for the 10% refund?

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/onemil...mbers-posting/
wdp85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 12, 6:42 pm   #424

Programs: aadvantage gold, AA citibank MC, amtrak
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdp85 View Post
Can anyone confirm if these redemptions are eligible for the 10% refund?
Yes. I recently took advantage of this discount for the first time. I booked the ticket on 6/28 for a trip ending on 7/8. I saw the refund in my account on 7/9 (although it was backdated to 6/28).
curnonsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 12, 8:27 pm   #425
Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP
Quote:
Originally Posted by curnonsky View Post
Yes. I recently took advantage of this discount for the first time. I booked the ticket on 6/28 for a trip ending on 7/8. I saw the refund in my account on 7/9 (although it was backdated to 6/28).
Good to know! Thanks for sharing you experience.
JY1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 12, 11:44 am   #426

Programs: MR Gold AA Gold Kimpton IC National Executive
So glad that Q3 awards included Monterey, CA. I was able to book a much needed vacation there for late August. Pretty much every other city wasn't worth considering (though flying to EGE and going to Vail was also worth a look).
mctrees02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 12, 8:01 pm   #427

Programs: AA EXP, Go Bears!
Quote:
Originally Posted by couponhead View Post
Is there any point to the reduced mileage awards that come with the citibank aadvantage card?

Edit: I misunderstood. The program makes a Milesaaver RT 17.5k instead of 25k. It wont make an aanytime one-way 17.5k instead of 25k (or an aanytime RT 37.5k instead of 50k)
Thanks for pointing this out... I missed this even though I've had the Citi card for several years!

I'd mistakenly read it as a requirement that the discount was only valid on a round-trip PNR good for a 7.5k off an AAnytime award each way.
jlin011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 12, 1:56 pm   #428

Wish list: Online booking of Citi reduced awards. (17.5/20K selected domestic coach)

I fly AA quite a bit and am PLT.

One thing on my wish list is that I would like to book the Citibank reduced awards online. I do not have to call the agent often to do a simple booking but I have to with this award. It is not just the $30 fee pp but the inconvenience of having to call. One time, I saw plenty of seats online where the agent coulldn't see the same inventory. Also confirmed on Expert Flyer the seats (7+) were there.

With US Airways, I am able to book their reduced award having their credit card. Paying 5K less miles is nice and can be done online. Somehow, they are able to tell when you are paying with their CC and reduces the miles needed.

I wonder when AA can add this feature. I do like booking awards on Qantas metal online.
CathyJune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 12, 10:04 am   #429
Moderator: American AAdvantage and New York City

Programs: AA PLT, HGP Diam, PC Gold, HH Gold
The above post has now been merged into the existing discussion of the Citi card reduced mileage awards for the benefit of those already subscribed. Please continue the discussion here.

/Moderator
Old Aug 9, 12, 8:07 pm   #430

Programs: United Silver, AA Gold, SPG Gold
Question RMA straddling Quarters

My yet to be purchased RMA R/T for 2 pax (one AA Gold, one not) from DCA to GRB straddles Q3 and Q4. (I know Q4 is not yet announced, so this post starts with the assumption GRB will be part of Q4, OCT-DEC.)

AA CSR said, “You can only book by phone for a trip that straddles quarters. It’ll cost you phone booking charges for each person on top of the normal fees associated with RMA. There’s no way to book on-line if the tix straddle quarters.”

I’d rather keep the money for fees in my pocket…or place it on the Saints beating Green Bay at Lambeau.

Option 1: Listen to CSR and cough up fees

Option 2: Get 2x 25k R/T Saver Awards on-line and then ask AA CSR to credit back the difference between 2x 25k and 2x 17.5k. This seems unnecessarily risky.

Option 3:

Thanks
EkekoBWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 12, 8:16 pm   #431
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: Priority Club Plat, Hyatt Plat, Amtrak, Alaska, National
Quote:
Originally Posted by EkekoBWI View Post
My yet to be purchased RMA R/T for 2 pax (one AA Gold, one not) from DCA to GRB straddles Q3 and Q4. (I know Q4 is not yet announced, so this post starts with the assumption GRB will be part of Q4, OCT-DEC.)

AA CSR said, “You can only book by phone for a trip that straddles quarters. It’ll cost you phone booking charges for each person on top of the normal fees associated with RMA. There’s no way to book on-line if the tix straddle quarters.”

I’d rather keep the money for fees in my pocket…or place it on the Saints beating Green Bay at Lambeau.

Option 1: Listen to CSR and cough up fees

Option 2: Get 2x 25k R/T Saver Awards on-line and then ask AA CSR to credit back the difference between 2x 25k and 2x 17.5k. This seems unnecessarily risky.

Option 3:

Thanks
Citi RMAs, of any type, can only be booked by phone. Besides the phone fee the only other thing you need to pay is the fees and taxes you would pay on a normal award ($10 each rt).

I have never attempted to straddle quarters, I think technically it is prohibited as are open jaws with a heavy dose of YMMV. If you can pull it off it is only going to be after the Q4 list is posted.

A paid fare to MKE might be your best option.
Old Aug 13, 12, 9:17 pm   #432

Programs: AMEX Plat, AAdvantage Gold, UA, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Good for 8750 each way (as a one way)

Sorry if this has been covered, but I was working it today to book some last minute tix and found a helpful agent inform me that they work as one way redemptions and would be happy to make the other half a rev ticket, a regular award or just a one way.

Also, happy to learn as Gold that I can waive the expedited 21 day fee so no extra charges.

Though in the end, I went with Avios on AA metal for my award as it was even cheaper based on distance.
brooklynmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 12, 3:04 am   #433

Programs: UA nothing (former multi-year CO Platinum), AA 1M Gold, HH Diamond, National Executive
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynmatt View Post
Sorry if this has been covered, but I was working it today to book some last minute tix and found a helpful agent inform me that they work as one way redemptions and would be happy to make the other half a rev ticket, a regular award or just a one way.

Also, happy to learn as Gold that I can waive the expedited 21 day fee so no extra charges.

Though in the end, I went with Avios on AA metal for my award as it was even cheaper based on distance.
Can anybody confirm that an actual one way ticket was booked using reduced mileage awards? That seems in conflict with the terms and conditions. See link and excerpt below.

https://creditcards.citi.com/reduced...nd-conditions/

*The Reduced Mileage Award program allows Citi® / AAdvantage® cardmembers to redeem American Airlines AAdvantage® miles for round trip MileSAAverSM awards to destinations selected quarterly. The MileSAAverSM discount is 5,000 or 7,500 American Airlines AAdvantage® miles round trip depending on the Citi® / AAdvantage® card that you have.
Flyer737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 12, 7:14 am   #434

Programs: AMEX Plat, AAdvantage Gold, UA, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer737 View Post
Can anybody confirm that an actual one way ticket was booked using reduced mileage awards? That seems in conflict with the terms and conditions. See link and excerpt below.

https://creditcards.citi.com/reduced...nd-conditions/

*The Reduced Mileage Award program allows Citi® / AAdvantage® cardmembers to redeem American Airlines AAdvantage® miles for round trip MileSAAverSM awards to destinations selected quarterly. The MileSAAverSM discount is 5,000 or 7,500 American Airlines AAdvantage® miles round trip depending on the Citi® / AAdvantage® card that you have.
Further data - the Domestic desk told me this, but when I tried International (Canada) prior to this call they were attempting to route me into Toronto and out of Montreal and they said they couldn't allow open jaw (they didn't even consider, neither did I, that it could be a one way). So it might be case by case with the Agent, but the Domestic agent was all over this, giving me different options that could help make it work.

I was happier with 4500 avios one way in coach and 9000 in Biz to return rather than the 8750 AA miles.

Lastly, I personally booked a one way on the 40K RT to Japan, the other leg wasn't available so I took it 20K in coach and 50K in biz on JAL, that required a little tinkering by the agent, but with the right person they seem willing and able.
brooklynmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 12, 10:03 am   #435

Programs: AA Gold, Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold
any leads on when the 4th quarter cities will be posted? Have a trip in October I'm hoping to use a reduced mileage award on!
snowymt is offline   Reply With Quote