Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 16, 2013, 12:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

Note: Main Cabin Extra has been rolled out for the 767-323ER; the forward coach mini-cabin has gone from four to three rows of seats, and which of them are best are discussed here:
Best MCE / Main Cabin Extra seats on the 763 / 767-300 (consolidated).

AA thread describing MCE . . . . . . . . . . . FT main general MCE thread
Print Wikipost

Best 763 / 767-300ER coach / Y seat / seating (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2008, 11:39 am

Programs: AA, WN, SPG, UA
I'm both broad and tall. The legroom is great for me, but the seats feel slightly narrow (since the tray table is in the armrest).

If you really don't care about the legroom, you might want another seat. But that seat (and it's mirror) are my top two choices on the AA 767-300 international flights.
Old Oct 29, 2008, 11:40 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinium 1.55MM AVIS Preferred Hertz Gold Marriott Platinum
If your width is such that you do not mind the rows with non-movable armrests (tray folds out of armrest), then this exit row seat is a good choice.

-Mike
Old Oct 29, 2008, 11:41 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by TMOliver
Should the aircraft make a unplanned controlled descent into terrain (or if over that Atlantic, into the alternative to terrain, water), a substantial number of folks will attempt to use your seat as an aisle to egress.

Not only will your toes get stepped on, but plan on having your britches cleaned and pressed.....
If the land descent is controlled, wouldn't they still try to use doors rather than emergency exits (not sure, but it seems they would)? <redacted by moderator request>.

Cheers.

Last edited by brp; Dec 30, 2009 at 11:21 am
Old Oct 29, 2008, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by georgepds
I'm on the AA flight from Boston - London, and , for my sins, am flying coach

The travel dept put me in seat 21 b , which is an exit row aisle seat. Anyone know if this is 'good" or bad (use your own criteria) . I'm (ahem) broader than I am tall , so leg room is not the primary issue.

Any help would be appreciated. I still have time to change the seats

Are there any sites which discuss this issue

TIA
--George
my suggestion would be that its never too late to try and upgrade! im tall-ish but definitely more broad (or as the lady in the big & tall store said im more big than tall). the exit row seats are better than the others since you can spread forward a bit, but its still tight on the sides a lot of times. check out some EXPs that have eVIPs to swap and you can upgrade and be much happier!
Old Oct 29, 2008, 11:48 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LT Plt, Mets fan
Originally Posted by TMOliver
I can only think of a single potential occasion in which an exit row seat is not better than any alternative in the back of the bus (and even then such a seat may be preferable if you're capable of quick situational response). Should the aircraft make a unplanned controlled descent into terrain (or if over that Atlantic, into the alternative to terrain, water), a substantial number of folks will attempt to use your seat as an aisle to egress.

Not only will your toes get stepped on, but plan on having your britches cleaned and pressed.....
Well, if we are using SAT words, then I pose the following query:

In the scenario you posit, one might suggest that the OP would adopt a similar strategy. Assuming that the OP cannot be in multiple venues at a single moment in time, the OP's utilization of the fenestral egress thus has the effect of relocating the obstance (i.e., the OP) previously located in the desired route of the other exiting passengers.

Or, simply put: won't the OP be the 2nd pax out the window, behind 21A/J?
Old Oct 29, 2008, 1:03 pm

Thank you one and all.. I'll keep the seat.

I'm a little lost as to this comment "check out some EXPs that have eVIPs to swap and you can upgrade and be much happier" as I'm not certain as to how to go about this process

Last edited by georgepds; Oct 29, 2008 at 1:04 pm Reason: sp
Old Oct 29, 2008, 3:52 pm

Programs: OW/AA, DL, UA; Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ethang801
check out some EXPs that have eVIPs to swap and you can upgrade and be much happier!
CC is not accessible to the OP at this time.

The aisles in 21 aren't bad at all, albeit a bit narrow, the legroom is indeed much better. Whatever you do, don't switch forward to row 20...whilst listed on AA.com as an "exit row", www.seatguru.com is spot on in marking these "red"...it's definitely a "wall-in-your-face" bulkhead.

Another option might be--during the boarding process, see if there's an empty row, or a row with a couple of unoccupied adjoining seats.
Old Oct 29, 2008, 4:37 pm

Programs: AA PLT
I flew in 21J on the STN-BOS and it was a great seat. No one sat next to me either

What is the date you are going? Since they are still using the 777's right now.
Old Oct 29, 2008, 5:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3.4MM, BAEC, UAMP, Skyteam (<10k) HH Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz Gold, GE/TSA TT
I haven't flown in 21 for a while, (mainly cuz I've been very lucky with scoring upgrades to J) although I'm booked into 21J BRU-JFK next month. IMHO, 21B and 21J are definitely the best seats 763 coach in spite of the narrowness,

However, if you prefer a window, don't forget that, as seatguru points out, 21A and 21K can be very cold next to the exit window.
Old Oct 29, 2008, 5:28 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by billgrates3

However, if you prefer a window, don't forget that, as seatguru points out, 21A and 21K can be very cold next to the exit window.
21J is the window seat.
Old Oct 29, 2008, 7:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 8 MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Joka
What is the date you are going? Since they are still using the 777's right now.
Not on the daytime eastbound/evening westbound
Old Oct 29, 2008, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by georgepds
I'm on the AA flight from Boston - London, and , for my sins, am flying coach

The travel dept put me in seat 21 b , which is an exit row aisle seat. Anyone know if this is 'good" or bad (use your own criteria) . I'm (ahem) broader than I am tall , so leg room is not the primary issue.

Any help would be appreciated. I still have time to change the seats

Are there any sites which discuss this issue

TIA
--George
If seat width is more important to you than legroom, then this is one of the worst seats on the plane for you. On almost every other coach seat, you can put the armrest up if the seat next to you is unoccupied, but not on exit row seats. Even with the armrest down, the normal seats have somewhat more clearance between the armrests than exit row seats, and they also provide a bit of extra room between the bottom of the armrest and the top of the seat for your fundament to settle.
Old Nov 29, 2008, 11:11 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA (Gold), Alaska MVP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, SPG Gold,
Last minute trip to CDG in coach

Seems the only decent seats left (together) are row 11 or row 20. 21 not available. Which should I take?
Old Nov 29, 2008, 11:41 am

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by TxTrav
Seems the only decent seats left (together) are row 11 or row 20. 21 not available. Which should I take?
seatguru.com
20AB/HJ suck.
Old Nov 29, 2008, 3:35 pm

Programs: AAdvantage PLT, AA 2MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by aamilesslave
seatguru.com
20AB/HJ suck.
+1

Cold and don't recline. Some might want them for the legroom, though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.