Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Royal Jordanian mini-trip report as an AA Plat

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2008, 4:17 am
Original Poster

Royal Jordanian mini-trip report as an AA Plat

Recently we flew CAI-AMM coach and AMM-ATH business class on Royal Jordanian.

We were very impressed from everything related to the on-line reservations processes (I made one reservation just the night before), to the check in process (fast and efficient), to the size of the seats / leg room, and to their food & service. All their airplanes also seem to be new.

The agent in Cairo even gave us lounge passes to the 3rd party lounge (Egypt Air Lounge).

Having flown AA, Cathay, BA, Iberia, Finn Air in the last few weeks, they may be the best partner in OneWorld.

Let me know if you want further detail.
Old May 13, 2008, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by AAaLot
Recently we flew ... business class on Royal Jordanian.

We were very impressed from everything...

... they may be the best partner in OneWorld.

I agree they seem to be very good. Have only flown the one sector so far (just waiting for my return in about an hour) but when I travelled BKK-HKG a few days ago on an A310 they had nice lie flat seats (same as AA's new ones), Bvulgari Amenity kits, printed and bound menus with a choice of 4 mains (this was a separate menu just for this sector, not a continuation of the AMM-BKK flight), and noise cancelliing headphones. Plus ok coffee served in good sized mugs. All for 2.5 hours.

Oh - and a free gift (small pottery dish which could be used for loose change, or even olives).

Not sure how their alcohol selection stacks up as I don't drink much, but their champagne was Moet NV.

Regards

lme ff
Old May 13, 2008, 10:53 am

Programs: AA EXP, CO PLT
All I've done is a very early morning AMM-IST in Y, which was fine I have to say :P
Old May 13, 2008, 3:02 pm

Programs: AAExPlat HHGold AVLifeMiles
Originally Posted by AAaLot
Recently we flew CAI-AMM coach and AMM-ATH business class on Royal Jordanian.

We were very impressed from everything related to the on-line reservations processes (I made one reservation just the night before), to the check in process (fast and efficient), to the size of the seats / leg room, and to their food & service. All their airplanes also seem to be new.

The agent in Cairo even gave us lounge passes to the 3rd party lounge (Egypt Air Lounge).

Having flown AA, Cathay, BA, Iberia, Finn Air in the last few weeks, they may be the best partner in OneWorld.

Thanks for the heads up on that! I was half expecting that to be the case with them being
1. A new partner (the new broom etc etc)
AND
2. A middle eastern carrier that has a lot of competition (albeit in the Gulf area.)
The other OW partner I find that has nice perks for OW elites who dont belong to their program are LAN.
Old May 13, 2008, 3:42 pm
Used to be 'martinnj99'

Why LAN? What kind of perks have you come across?
Old May 13, 2008, 7:50 pm
LGJ

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, United Silver, Hilton Diamond, and Starwood Gold
I flew ORD-AMM-DXB in Y back in December...it was pretty good, rather equivalent to AA. The seats seemed roomier and service was better than AA, but AA has better food. And it's not that I don't like Middle-Eastern/Indian cuisine....I love it, theirs just was not very good. The problem I had with them was they would not let me bring my roller carry-on onto the flight from AMM-DXB, they claimed it would not fit (and it defiantly would have, it was not a small plane), so they checked it, and not a gate check like AE flights, but claim it from the belt checked it...which I was not very happy with. But I would fly them again, just being prepared to have a separate laptop bag so I am not carrying my computer in my arms.
Old May 13, 2008, 8:12 pm

Programs: AAExPlat HHGold AVLifeMiles
Originally Posted by martinnj99
Why LAN? What kind of perks have you come across?
1.They always put a priority tag on my bags and in my experience, its pretty well respected in all airports I fly with them, bags tend to be off the plane pretty quick.
2. They are very good about seat assignments
3. They treat you just as they would one of their own elites with an extra bag weight allowance for being elite.
4. A general respectful, nice, "caring" attitude from all staff. Compared to the rather jaded couldnt care less one gets from (not all thankfully) some AA staff.
5. If there are flight delays (even weather related) they are very good about food and hotels and if they say some one will great the plane and have vouchers ready, they come through. Unlike AA big time.
Now this is just my experience, but I fly LAN inside South America at least a couple of times a year and have done so for years now, with narry a problem.
Others may have had a diferent experience.
Old May 14, 2008, 1:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LGJ
I flew ORD-AMM-DXB in Y back in December...it was pretty good, rather equivalent to AA. The seats seemed roomier and service was better than AA, but AA has better food. And it's not that I don't like Middle-Eastern/Indian cuisine....I love it, theirs just was not very good. The problem I had with them was they would not let me bring my roller carry-on onto the flight from AMM-DXB, they claimed it would not fit (and it defiantly would have, it was not a small plane), so they checked it, and not a gate check like AE flights, but claim it from the belt checked it...which I was not very happy with. But I would fly them again, just being prepared to have a separate laptop bag so I am not carrying my computer in my arms.
Yes, In CAI they claimed our carry on bags would not fit. After with very nice consultations with the manager they decided to put bag tags on our bags, but we could take the bags through immigration, and we could sort it out at the aircraft [if need to]. We decided to rearrange and give the bags to them at check in (did not think the bags would get lost at RJ Cairo since they only fly to AMM).

We thought RJ airplanes would be the same as the regional jets on AA, however they are much bigger. Business class will accommodate a few standard rolling bags. Coach might accommodate some if they are 'LHR approved' or perhaps under 2 seats.

On the second flight AMM-ATH we took our carry ons. The the Jet bridge someone said they would not fit...told them we were in business class and off we went. A late business class passenger brought a very big bag after everything was full....but even in that case the agents went out of their way to accommodate him.

OT I noticed they did not mark our checked bags with business class tags ... did not think anything of it. Upon landing, however, I noticed that someone had appropriately marked them.

OT the food was okay. I wished they would have come more often to re-fill my water.
Old May 14, 2008, 1:19 pm

Does anyone know where to check for award availability? On line as opposed to calling aa.

Last edited by jmj9905; May 14, 2008 at 3:54 pm
Old May 14, 2008, 7:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jmj9905
Does anyone know where to check for award availability? On line as opposed to calling aa.
Alas, not possible. BA and QF have figured this out at their sites (BA's is a real pain, however) but AA is not there yet.

Last edited by mizzou miles; May 14, 2008 at 7:36 pm Reason: typo
Old May 16, 2008, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mizzou miles
Alas, not possible. BA and QF have figured this out at their sites (BA's is a real pain, however) but AA is not there yet.
But I think that's what the previous poster was asking. Ie, the way you can get a "good guess" (if not 100% perfect) at CX award avaiability on AA by looking at ba.com's availability (which may require having enough BA miles to see details), I think the previous poster was asking if you could see any indication of RJ award availability online anywhere, ie, at another OW site, at ExpertFlyer, etc.
Old May 17, 2008, 4:36 pm

Programs: OW/AA, DL, UA; Marriott Titanium
Will be flying Royal Jordanian ORD-AMM-CAI, returning thru LHR & BOI (only TATL in Biz avail, thru BOI on BA...not complaining!) on a One-World Biz. award, in July. Will try to remember to post details.

Last edited by skye1; May 18, 2008 at 1:30 am
Old May 17, 2008, 9:24 pm

Programs: AA PLT 1.95 MM, SPG gld
Royal Jordanian

As part of a Oneworld Business Class award, we flew ORD-AMM-CAI on RJ in November (and returned CAI-LHR on BA, the AA to ORD because the RJ returning schedules are awful). The RJ flight to AMM was very good... the "Crown Class" seats on the A340 are true "lie-flat" and 83" apart. The only negative aspect of their seating is tha there isn't any "divider" partition at all between you and the person next to you. Still, we thought the seats were very comfortable and slept well. The service was excellent, and the food also quite good and served on china. All the food courses were served from platters on the cart, you can see what's being offered and have whatever apeals to you; a nice feature.

The RJ lounge in Amman was okay for the short layover; some snacks and soft drinks (I don't remember any liquor). The room with the computer terminals serves double duty as a "prayer" room... there were some small prayer rugs stacked in the corner.

We were happy to have paid whatever the fee was that he hotel charged for the "Meet and Greet" service in Cairo, where the man who meets you takes care of the visa and whisks you out of the airport quickly.

Syke, PM me if I can share any info about Cairo.
Old May 18, 2008, 1:35 am

Programs: OW/AA, DL, UA; Marriott Titanium
Royal Jordanian

Couldn't find much on seatguru nor seatexpert about RJ's planes....so yeah, any tips on better or worse rows/seats on RJ's planes would be great.

Lounge in AMM---showers avail? Might be a good call after ex-ORD & b4 onward to CAI.
Old May 18, 2008, 3:18 am

Programs: UA GS, AA PLT LIFE, SPG Platinum, LHW LC, Fairmont PC
Jfk-amm

I flew RJ yesterday from JFK-AMM. My third experience with RJ and I'd agree with the other posters.

Their US-Jordan service is on Airbus A340 and IMHO their Crown Class is a step above AA business class (but not as good as AA first class on its 777s) - this is primarily due to their lay flat business class seat. On two US-AMM flights, I've been able to lay flat and sleep through the majority of the flight.

The staff is courteous and pleasant. I like their departure slots in that you leave JFK at 11pm and wake-up about 1.5-2 hrs from Amman. Given that, I haven't taken advantage of their IFE or meal service. The seats are roomier than AA business (even the NGBC) and are not claustrophic in that you have a lot of space between rooms. The Crown Class only has 24 seats.

At JFK, you are given access to the Oasis Lounge - outside of security - which has a hot food display (much better than the Admirals Club).

I wouldn't hestitate to fly RJ again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.