Wiki Posts
Search

Newbie with some questions - LHR and MXP

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2008, 3:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum, Delta Gold
Newbie with some questions - LHR and MXP

First, let me thank you in advance for any help and apologize if this is covered elsewhere; I have tried to research this on my own. I am Gold (for Life!) but with little international experience.

In January I bought a coach ticket and used miles and cash to upgrade to business from JFK to LHR to HAM (HAM segment is on BA). On the return (MXP to JFK on June 26 - any Bruce Springsteen fans in the house?) I was unable to upgrade, but instead was put on the waiting list. The agent told me that since only two seats were taken I was sure to get upgraded.

1. I have a three plus hour layover in LHR where I would like to use the AA lounge at LHR. Should I not change terminals to BA upon arrival and instead hunt out the AA lounge where I land and hope that they let me in there? I don't think that I am in business class on the BA segment.

2. Flight home: I have not been upgraded but have watched the seats steadily disappear (4 left wth a month to go). I tried recently to upgrade that segment using 90,000 miles and ditching the ticket, to no avail. I wonder if my only two choices are: 180,000 mile new ticket (scrap the old ticket), or pay to upgrade the old ticket to business ($3,000 or so)? Am I missing anything else? I call regularly and appear to be the only person on the upgrade list as of now. Also - if I am not upgraded on the day of departure - is there anything that I can do at the airport to maintain my position on the "list" in the event of no-shows? (ie, does it get wiped out at a certain point?)

I have a decent coach seat 22B.

Thank you again. I can't contribute much to this forum but will try my best in the hotel forum as hotels are my thing.
Old Jun 2, 2008, 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by Fontaine
First, let me thank you in advance for any help and apologize if this is covered elsewhere; I have tried to research this on my own. I am Gold (for Life!) but with little international experience.

In January I bought a coach ticket and used miles and cash to upgrade to business from JFK to LHR to HAM (HAM segment is on BA). On the return (MXP to JFK on June 26 - any Bruce Springsteen fans in the house?) I was unable to upgrade, but instead was put on the waiting list. The agent told me that since only two seats were taken I was sure to get upgraded.

1. I have a three plus hour layover in LHR where I would like to use the AA lounge at LHR. Should I not change terminals to BA upon arrival and instead hunt out the AA lounge where I land and hope that they let me in there? I don't think that I am in business class on the BA segment.

With 3 hours and a terminal change you should go to your BA flight. Typically you can't get back through security and into T3 if your connection shows a different terminal. There are ways but the checker will usually reject you and tell you to go to the correct terminal.

2. Flight home: I have not been upgraded but have watched the seats steadily disappear (4 left wth a month to go). I tried recently to upgrade that segment using 90,000 miles and ditching the ticket, to no avail. I wonder if my only two choices are: 180,000 mile new ticket (scrap the old ticket), or pay to upgrade the old ticket to business ($3,000 or so)? Am I missing anything else? I call regularly and appear to be the only person on the upgrade list as of now. Also - if I am not upgraded on the day of departure - is there anything that I can do at the airport to maintain my position on the "list" in the event of no-shows? (ie, does it get wiped out at a certain point?)

Once upgrade space disappears its common for no new space to appear until a day or two before the flight. It is certainly a risk.

I have a decent coach seat 22B.

Thank you again. I can't contribute much to this forum but will try my best in the hotel forum as hotels are my thing.
Old Jun 2, 2008, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
The LHR AC is essentially departures only. However, as a J pax, you will have access to the LHR arrivals lounge - go it to instead. You have ample time.

There isn't a lot you can do here. The flight currently only had two J seats left available for sale. If it clears, it will probably not happen until the night before or even morning of departure. Your name should stay on the list and not be "wiped" out for any reason.

As for being the "only person" on the list, be aware that could change at any moment as an EXP or PLT who requests an upgrade now would receive priority.
Old Jun 2, 2008, 7:04 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
In January I bought a coach ticket and used miles and cash to upgrade to business from JFK to LHR to HAM (HAM segment is on BA).
<snip>
Welcome to FT!

To expand a bit upon bdemaria's response, whenever your longhaul international segment is in Business class (J), you have what's called Class-of-service-based access to ANY oneWorld Business Class lounge, as long as your next flight is on a oneWorld carrier.

Check out the oneWorld access page and scroll down to the bottom for Lounge Access by Class of Travel:

http://www.oneworld.com/ow/ffp/loung...nes-aadvantage

BA's LHR-HAM flights depart out of T5, so you'll have access to the BA lounge there - just present your Intl J boarding pass and your connecting boarding pass on BA and tell them you are connecting from Intl Business Class. You might print a copy of the Lounge Access rules to bring with you just in case you get any resistance from the BA desk agent.
Old Jun 2, 2008, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

First, thank you for researching the matter before posting.

Secondly, for MXP-JFK you were mislead by the agent, who should have kept his/her mouth shut. Both mileage upgrades and mileage awards (the regular ones, not the double mile ones) come from the same inventory, so ditching the old ticket for an award ticket will do you absolutely no good.

If you stay as is you will either clear by ~24 hours prior to the flight or you will be removed by the waitlist (due to the way AA is charged by the vendor who handles reservations), and you will have to re-submit the request at the airport, where you will be put on an airport standby list. Unfortunately, loads are highly variable, and MXP is a new route, so all we can do is wish you the best

Of course if you choose to upgrade your ticket to a business class fare, or redeem a double-mileage award, your seat will be guaranteed.
Old Jun 2, 2008, 7:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
Welcome aboard.

I have done the LHR shuffle numerous times this year, all before the new terminal opened, so there is my caveat.

However, I would recommend that you use the BA Lounge. It is a very nice lounge and I recommend it over the AA lounge. (That kind of goes for a general rule for all international cities where oneworld has lounges).

3 hours is a lot of time in LHR. The airside shuttle bus takes about 15-20 minutes even though they claim 60 at times.

Relax, enjoy your flight, take a shower in the AM and have some champagne.

PS... I am on my way to HAM on THU..
Old Jun 2, 2008, 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by Deltahater
However, I would recommend that you use the BA Lounge. It is a very nice lounge and I recommend it over the AA lounge. (That kind of goes for a general rule for all international cities where oneworld has lounges).
Thanks to Deltahater and dstan. I didn't realize that an int'l J ticket would allow a GLD into the BA lounge. I would indeed use the BA lounge rather than the AA arrivals lounge.
Old Jun 2, 2008, 8:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum, Delta Gold
Thank you all for your warm welcome and your valuable advice.

I will be heading to the BA lounge and forgetting about the possible upgrade. If it happens, it happens. Lesson learned.

Thank you again.
Old Jun 2, 2008, 10:50 pm

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
At LHR T5 you can choose between the BA South Lounge Complex or the BA North Lounge. Choose South ... it's bigger, less crowded, and has the showers ("Elemis Travel Spa").

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.