Chances of getting upgraded to Business on BOS-ORD-DEL flight

Old Jan 15, 2008, 12:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum, UA 1K, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Platinum Elite, Jetblue Mosaic
Chances of getting upgraded to Business on BOS-ORD-DEL flight

I applied 4 of my friends evip's for the following itinerary for myself and my wife:

BOS-ORD-DEL (Feb14th,2008-Thursday)
DEL-ORD-BOS (March 13th,2008-Thursday)

These EVIP's were applied in Decemeber. I have a gold status with AA and my wife does not have an Elite Status with AA. For some reason one of the EVIP's got cleared for my wife's return from DEL-ORD-BOS within 2 days of applying the upgrades and mine did not . I spoke to AA today and they managed to apply the EVIP's and confirm all the domestic segments for now for me and my wife. What do you think are the chances of getting upgraded for the international segments on this flight? The following segments are waitlisted at the moment:

ORD-DEL and DEL-ORD for me.
ORD-DEL for my wife.

Thanks
AK
Old Jan 15, 2008, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

45.63%.

Welcome to Flyertalk.
Old Jan 15, 2008, 12:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum, UA 1K, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Platinum Elite, Jetblue Mosaic
Thanks

If there is any one who flies this route often should be able to shed some more light on this.
Old Jan 15, 2008, 2:45 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Plat Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Club Carl Gold, IHG Plat
I only flew ORD-DEL once in the past year -- last May, to be exact. Got waitlisted, upgrades came thru about 1 month before the flight from DEL-ORD and about 3 weeks before the flight for ORD-DEL. Just a one time occurence, so I'm not sure if this is much help, but information never hurts.
Old Jan 15, 2008, 5:50 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FWAAA
45.63%.

Welcome to Flyertalk.
You got that decimal point in the wrong spot...

My patented Upgrade Calculating Program puts the odds at 4.56%
Old Jan 15, 2008, 5:52 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP (5.8MM Airpass) Delta Gold Medallion Marriott Platinum
FA wife flies this trip often. Very full loads of full fare pax in J and F.
Old Jan 15, 2008, 6:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by akshitkhanna
If there is any one who flies this route often should be able to shed some more light on this.
Nobody flies this route often enough to give you more than vague anecdotal evidence.
Besides, what would you do if we told you the chances really were 4.56%?
Old Jan 15, 2008, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
I applied 4 of my friends evip's for the following itinerary for myself and my wife:

BOS-ORD-DEL (Feb14th,2008-Thursday)
DEL-ORD-BOS (March 13th,2008-Thursday)

These EVIP's were applied in Decemeber. I have a gold status with AA and my wife does not have an Elite Status with AA. For some reason one of the EVIP's got cleared for my wife's return from DEL-ORD-BOS within 2 days of applying the upgrades and mine did not . I spoke to AA today and they managed to apply the EVIP's and confirm all the domestic segments for now for me and my wife. What do you think are the chances of getting upgraded for the international segments on this flight? The following segments are waitlisted at the moment:

ORD-DEL and DEL-ORD for me.
ORD-DEL for my wife.

Thanks
AK
The odds are X, the unknown.
I find it interesting that in the thousands of years since the creation of algebra, x is still unknown.

If you want to use EVIPs, I think it is better to book flights that have availability when you book them. It seems a bit wasteful to spend EVIPS on a ORD-BOS roundtrip.
Old Jan 15, 2008, 8:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
probably one of the WORST routes to hope for an upgrade without any status on AA.

Seems like everybody and their mother is going to India in February. That is probably because everybody and their mother IS going back to India in February. Remarkably, it is also the high season there...

So, my vote is enjoy your your BOS-ORD upgrade...and don't cry in 32F to Delhi
Old Jan 15, 2008, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
All eVIPs that I applied to my flights last year cleared between 6 weeks and 4 days before departure. Never immediately.

Even though India has quiet alot of frequent flyers you should be safe as they have even more leisure travellers
Old Jan 15, 2008, 9:09 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by FWAAA
45.63%.
Although you offer a reasonable estimate, only HNL can provide an exact percentage.
Old Jan 15, 2008, 11:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You're welcome.

I've applied over 100 VIP upgrades in the last decade and only one has failed to clear, so I'm batting ove .990.

Problem is, there aren't enough Gold status flyers applying eVIPs on DEL flights to compile a reliable data set.

I've flown to DEL and back twice and my upgrades have all cleared. But that evidence really doesn't have anything to do with the odds that your upgrade requests will clear.

There really isn't anything you can do now to increase those odds. It clears or it doesn't; and sitting in coach on this flight would really suck. I hope your upgrades clear. Good luck.

Originally Posted by HNL
You got that decimal point in the wrong spot...

My patented Upgrade Calculating Program puts the odds at 4.56%
My bad - decimals and percentages have never been my strong suit.
Old Jan 16, 2008, 4:32 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
Contrary to much of what has been posted in this thread, I believe this is one of the easier routes for using eVips. My family and I have requested and cleared the use of 12 eVips thus far and are currently waitlisted for two more in February. Mind you, most of the eVips were waitlisted at the time of booking. Also, I've been able to find inventory when changing return dates by a few weeks. Lastly, in my short time here on FT, I cannot recall a post where someone's DEL eVip had not cleared.

February is NOT the peak season for US-INDIA bound routes. Peak season generally ends on January 15th, after which time fares often drop. A March return also falls during shoulder season. In fact, my sister did the ZRH-BOM route on Swiss yesterday and she noted the flight was quite empty in Y.

If you and your wife are not on the same PNR, it is important to call AA and link the PNRs especially since one of you has status and the other does not.

Enjoy your trip. I'm enjoying mine at this very moment.
Old Jan 16, 2008, 6:47 am

Programs: AA EXP, 4.6 MM
Feb 2007, I got upgrades both ways, although the return did not come through until after we had boarded. My friend (no status) only got an upgrade on the outbound flight.
Old Jan 16, 2008, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
For all this talk of eVIPS clearing, is it relevant that the OP is Gold, and travel companion an AA nobody?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.