Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How long does it take to get your Gold status card?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2008, 2:53 pm
Original Poster

How long does it take to get your Gold status card?

I officially got my Gold status on Jan. 15th. How long does it take to get the card so that I can go through elite security lines? Or is there something on my boarding pass that lets them know I'm Gold status? I assume the card is mailed to me?
Old Jan 25, 2008, 2:58 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
The time to get a card has been reported in other threads to vary widely. No concise, accurate answer exists.

Cheers.
Old Jan 25, 2008, 3:09 pm

Your physical gold card itself is pretty useless.

Your status is displayed on your boarding pass very prominently, enabling you to make full use of your benefits.
Old Jan 25, 2008, 3:16 pm
Original Poster

THanks!
Old Jan 25, 2008, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by spanishflea

Your status is displayed on your boarding pass very prominently, enabling you to make full use of your benefits.
In addition, any AA employee can look up your status quite easily if the situation requires it (for example, to calculate your annual Admirals Club dues). And the automated telephone attendant will recognize your number and give you the appropriate priority in the phone queue (higher than the masses, lower than Platinum; Executive Platinum members have a separate set of agents).

The only place folks seem to really need a card is to get into BA lounges. Their guardians don't even trust a BA boarding pass printed on a BA computer ten minutes previously. However, that will only be a concern when (not if, when - you're in FT-land) you earn Platinum and get lounge access on overseas trips.
Old Jan 25, 2008, 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by spanishflea

Very true - lounge access is one of the main benefits of having the physical card, and since there is no access with Gold level, it doesnt apply.
Old Jan 25, 2008, 8:20 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
I've used my AA card to help me get into the AS elite security line at SFO. I'm not 100% sure it was required, but there would be no other way for the AS line-minders to know that I was an AA elite as it wasn't printed on the AS BP.

Also, I've had an Admirals Club rep swipe me in with the electronic stripe (always wondered what that was for!)
Old Jan 25, 2008, 8:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, SPG Plat
As brp said, there are other threads discussing the varied time frame for receiving your card, but in my recent experience (December) it took a little over a month for me to receive my Platinum card in the mail after making it. That was over the holidays, so it may have been a bit longer than usual, but I still wouldn't expect to get it too promptly.
Old Jan 26, 2008, 5:50 am

Originally Posted by slabeaume
I officially got my Gold status on Jan. 15th. How long does it take to get the card so that I can go through elite security lines? Or is there something on my boarding pass that lets them know I'm Gold status? I assume the card is mailed to me?
I got my Gold status on Jan 19th
I just got this email yesterday from AA that I will get my card in a few weeks.

"You made it! Congratulations!

I want to be the first to applaud your achievement of AAdvantage Gold® status in the AAdvantage program. In just a few weeks you'll receive your new card by mail. Enjoy it -- you deserve it!"
Old Jan 26, 2008, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
I dont think theres a difference in PLT, GLD or even EXP cards to arrive.

I requalified for PLT on DEC31 and the card arrived about 10 days ago. Roughly 2 weeks after in continental USA.

In case you have an international address just add 1-1,5 weeks
Old Jan 26, 2008, 9:35 am

Programs: AA EXP, Qantas Gold, HHonors Gold, A|Club Gold, Marriott Silver, ICHG Gold
Similar experience here from the International side. Qualified EXP for the first time on about December 18. Card arrived today in London.
Old Jan 26, 2008, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by dstan
I've used my AA card to help me get into the AS elite security line at SFO. I'm not 100% sure it was required, but there would be no other way for the AS line-minders to know that I was an AA elite as it wasn't printed on the AS BP.

Also, I've had an Admirals Club rep swipe me in with the electronic stripe (always wondered what that was for!)
That's a good point. AS also uses that to let elites of their partners board early, though they rarely check for the card.

The electronic swipe does make things easier, also allows you to use it check in at the kiosk (assuming you don't have a credit card, etc).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.