Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Involuntary Denied Boarding (IDB) Order and Compensation (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 31, 2015, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Moderator note: this thread has been archived.

Please follow the current thread here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation/704770-involuntary-denied-boarding-idb-order-compensation-consolidated.html
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Involuntary Denied Boarding (IDB) Order and Compensation (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2010, 4:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 1 MM, AC, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by JY1024
$249 may be his original fare amount...? But in theory he should receive 200% of the fare since the delay seems to be more than 4 hours.
Right, but this is a seven-hour delay so that puts it into the 200% category. I doubt the one-way fare was $124.50, which would have been $249 if doubled--maybe it was, but that sounds like a very cheap ticket.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 4:10 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by videomaker
Right, but this is a seven-hour delay so that puts it into the 200% category. I doubt the one-way fare was $124.50, which would have been $249 if doubled--maybe it was, but that sounds like a very cheap ticket.
Agreed...(hence my question mark and "in theory" comment).

$249 seems like a reasonable one-way base fare; so perhaps OP's husband is actually owed more money? Or maybe it gets pro-rated if the one-way fare has multiple stops (i.e. xxx-MIA-GUA)?
Old Aug 2, 2010, 4:11 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by videomaker
Choosing random dates a couple months out, the fare MIA-GUA is $104 one way as part of a round trip -- or at least AA's price and schedule display says it is until I click on the date, at which point the fare is $142. Either way, $124.50 sounds like a plausible one way fare.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 4:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 1 MM, AC, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by ashill
Choosing random dates a couple months out, the fare MIA-GUA is $104 one way as part of a round trip -- or at least AA's price and schedule display says it is until I click on the date, at which point the fare is $142. Either way, $124.50 sounds like a plausible one way fare.
Fair enough. That would explain it, I hadn't checked fares.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Maybe he actually received $498 but only telling your sister he received $249?
Old Aug 2, 2010, 8:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I have gotten a check from AA before at the check in desk. I handed it right back to the agent and they cashed it on the spot. This was in Japan where they dont use checks.

Different reasons though.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 9:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP (1.5MM), Hilton/SPG/Marriott Gold
$250 would be normal to Orlando, low to anywhere internation

No reason to believe $250 is not true, but involuntary vs voluntary could probably be argued all day.
Old Aug 3, 2010, 5:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by ja_user
$250 would be normal to Orlando, low to anywhere internation

No reason to believe $250 is not true, but involuntary vs voluntary could probably be argued all day.
Of course, as indicated in a post before yours, the $249 could very well be 200 percent of the one way fare paid, even though this is international, as that post indicated a $104 one way fare.
Old Aug 3, 2010, 5:33 am

My sister insists it was $249. She also said he was offered $600 later on for a voluntary bump over night, which he declined. A 7 hour wait in an airport--$249 seems low. The flight originated at LGA...why wouldn't he have confirmed seats assigned in NY? He is not a sophisticated traveler. Never been abroad and was with his church group (he was the only one who was bumped).
Old Aug 3, 2010, 6:52 am

Programs: I've gone underground!
Originally Posted by Joyce15
The flight originated at LGA...why wouldn't he have confirmed seats assigned in NY? He is not a sophisticated traveler. Never been abroad and was with his church group (he was the only one who was bumped).
Maybe there were no seats to be had and were scheduled for release at the gate.

As far as the second part... someone had to be chosen... and it's likely they went with some combination of fare paid, ff status, and check-in time.
Old Aug 3, 2010, 7:17 am

Programs: AA EXP, Priority Club Platinum
I was sat at the gate for this flight (waiting for the next flight from the gate). The agent over the PA announced that they needed 12 volunteers and that they were offering $800 plus a seat on the later flight. I remember it clearly because of the amount on offer seemed extremely generous. They only called for volunteers twice and did not increase the amount on offer, which I construed as meaning they had enough volunteers. Either IDB or VDB, the amount doesn't seem to add up....
Old Aug 3, 2010, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Pleasantly surprised.
Old Aug 3, 2010, 11:47 am
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Joyce15
My sister insists it was $249. She also said he was offered $600 later on for a voluntary bump over night, which he declined. A 7 hour wait in an airport--$249 seems low. The flight originated at LGA...why wouldn't he have confirmed seats assigned in NY? He is not a sophisticated traveler. Never been abroad and was with his church group (he was the only one who was bumped).
Well, airlines can be much more generous if you accept their vouchers. Else, if they have to resort to IDBs, they are only obligated to compensate the minimum amount dictated by the DOT.
Old Aug 3, 2010, 12:19 pm

Programs: AA Explat / UA Silver
The IDB process at AA is actually much more complicated at AA than the VDB process.

In case of an IDB situation, field service (airport staff) must call Day of Departure at headquarters. DOD will calculate both a voucher amount and a check amount, which, as previously stated, is determined by the excess time it takes to get to the customer's destination, fare price, etc. The voucher amount is always of a higher value.

The agent (or other field service employee) then provides the customer with the option of a voucher or a check. It is up to the customer to choose.

Matt
Old Aug 3, 2010, 12:37 pm

Folks,

I have question related to the topic:

where does have GA cash from? Do GA's carry some cash "just for the case", or how else a passenger can get that cash for involuntary DB?

I could understand money check... Or, mentioning cash the OP meant a check?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.