Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Gold & Platinum Elite Status Challenges 2004 - 2011

ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Gold & Platinum Elite Status Challenges 2004 - 2011

Old Oct 22, 2009, 4:02 pm
fet

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum, UA, AS, DL, SPG Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by pkerr
Just made LT Plat.
Plat is showing as my level as well as 4 "stickers" from previous flying. When my 4 SWU show up, how will AA differentiate "stickers" from SWU?
Congratulations on your achievement. How long it took from the moment your lifetime balance went over 2 mil till your Platinum status start showing in your account?
Old Oct 23, 2009, 8:43 am

Help with PLT Challenge...

Hi there,

Newbie, so thanks in advance for your help.

I'm currently GLD, and thinking of doing the PLT Challenge...
Could you confirm I'll make it with the following plan?

11/1
LGA - YYZ - LGA
N Ticket
714mi = 357 EQPs
(Signed up for Double EQP Promotion)
So, 357 x2 = 714 EQP.

11/29
LGA - STL - DFW
L Ticket
1438 mi = 1438 EQPs
1438 x2 = 2876

Dec 26
JFK-LHR
V ticket.
3451 mi = 3451 EQP

Jan 4
LHR - JFK
V Ticket
Dec 26
JFK-LHR-JFK, V ticket.
3451 mi = 3451 EQP

Total EQP = 10,422

So, I should be good to go, right?

Also, this means I go Platinum during the return flight from London. Sorry for not totally getting this - will I get the Platinum bonus for that flight?

Thanks in advance!!
Old Oct 23, 2009, 8:48 am

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Originally Posted by tafkajosh

Welcome to FT.

There is no Double EQP Promotion. You need to consult the wiki and/or AA.com to understand the difference between EQP and EQM.
Old Oct 23, 2009, 8:54 am

Programs: Priority Club PLT, Marriott Titanium, AA EXP
Originally Posted by tafkajosh
Hi there,

Newbie, so thanks in advance for your help.

I'm currently GLD, and thinking of doing the PLT Challenge...
Could you confirm I'll make it with the following plan?

11/1
LGA - YYZ - LGA
N Ticket
714mi = 357 EQPs
So, 357 x2 = 714 EQP.

11/29
LGA - STL - DFW
L Ticket
1438 mi = 1438 EQPs
1438 x2 = 2876

Dec 26
JFK-LHR
V ticket.
3451 mi = 3451 EQP

Jan 4
LHR - JFK
V Ticket
Dec 26
JFK-LHR-JFK, V ticket.
3451 mi = 3451 EQP

Total EQP = 10,422

Also, this means I go Platinum during the return flight from London. Sorry for not totally getting this - will I get the Platinum bonus for that flight?

Thanks in advance!!

Tafjajosh- You will not earn double EQP with the DBEQM promo. That promo only earns double elite qualifying miles, and challenges are based only on points. You will need an additional ~1300 eqp. Perhaps you can see what it would cost to upfare one of your LHR legs to get the 1.5 EQP per mile?? Don't know if that would be more cost effective than finding a 1300 mile itinerary that earns 1 EPQ/Mile or not.
Old Oct 23, 2009, 9:00 am

Originally Posted by genotonda
Tafjajosh- You will not earn double EQP with the DBEQM promo. That promo only earns double elite qualifying miles, and challenges are based only on points. You will need an additional ~1300 eqp. Perhaps you can see what it would cost to upfare one of your LHR legs to get the 1.5 EQP per mile?? Don't know if that would be more cost effective than finding a 1300 mile itinerary that earns 1 EPQ/Mile or not.
Probably much more cost effective to just book a mid distance MR. transcons are cheap. Also Maybe LGA-dfw/den/las/mia or find a sale destination.
Old Oct 26, 2009, 7:54 pm

Programs: various
Originally Posted by Argen_Tina
I just ran into a brick wall with AA.

My platinum challenge was already paid for and started.

The miles have finally started to come in. However, my status didn't change
after I crossed over the 10,000 points threshold. I called AAdvantage and the
rep looked into it. After several minutes... she came back on the line....

it turns out that I do not qualify because
my AA ticket was paid/purchased outside
of the USA. (not US dollars)

The trips starts in Argentina, with stops in Chicago, Tokyo... and ends in Singapore.
The ticket only shows two airlines, AA and JL. The ticket is on AA stock.

My AAdvantage acct address on file has always been in the US. (my home address)

Had I known that tickets purchased in non-US$ and originating outside of the US
would not quaflity for the platinum challenge, I would have never paid the $200.
Called AA a couple more times and spoke to two supervisors... got the same reply....
While I'm not happy about it, I can understand it if it's their policy. Fine by me,
but now I'm mad because they refused to refund me the $200.

I have called my credit card company(Discover Card) and disputed the charge...

I am extremely upset by AA's underhanded tactics. When I first called to sign up
for the challenge, the rep looked at my reservation and fare basis. She told me that
my trip would qualify, so I happily allowed them to put $200 charge on my card.
Now they have my money, they tell me I don't qualify my challenge because my
ticket was purchased outside of the US using foreign currency? This is pure fraud.
Found this post very interesting, as I may be in a similar situation. After a long period of not flying much on AA, I'm contemplating a Challenge, which would be kicked off Dec 1 by flying PEK-NRT-DFW-JAN and return. NRT-JAN segments and reverse on AA flight numbers, AA metal. Ticket was purchased on aa.com (China site) using a USA-based credit card. Currency listed was Chinese Yuan. Ticket stock is AA. My AAdvantage home address is, and has always been, in USA.

Called the AA desk last night and put forward this issue and whether the currency of purchase--officially, in Chinese yuan--would scuttle the whole ticket for application towards a Challenge. Rep I got thought it was no problem but went away and checked with a supervisor, who said that the ticket segments on AA metal absolutely WOULD COUNT towards a challenge, and that as long as the ticket was on AA stock, AA flight numbers on AA metal (or AA codeshare on partners) and other normal conditions of the Challenge were met, this ticket absolutely would work. Also that the method of buying the ticket, currency etc, shouldn't make a difference--except that unpublished and consolidator-type tickets, Priceline, etc. wouldn't work.

So, I'm not sure what to think, based on this info vs. Argen-Tina's fiasco. Assuming there isn't some other circumstance in A-T's situation that negated the ticket applicability. I haven't pulled the trigger on the Challenge yet, as I have a little more time to think and can make a decision in November. It's likely that by Dec 31, I could make alternatively make Gold on EQM, with a little bit of domestic flying in the US in Dec. Platinum--no way I can get BIS EQM by Dec 31 even with DBLEQ promo. If I go with the Challenge, I'll report back later what happens on getting credited or no.
Old Oct 27, 2009, 2:54 pm

Programs: AA CK / Marriott Worthless Ambassador
so no status match?

I'm a DL Gold member thinking of switching to AA -- from what i read here it seems they do NOT status match and you must be invited? can someone please confirm if this is true or not...

thanks
Old Oct 27, 2009, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by JBauer
I'm a DL Gold member thinking of switching to AA -- from what i read here it seems they do NOT status match and you must be invited? can someone please confirm if this is true or not...

thanks
Generally speaking, AA does not status match. Instead it offers the opportunity to challenge.
Old Oct 27, 2009, 8:38 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Originally Posted by jiejie
Called the AA desk last night and put forward this issue and whether the currency of purchase--officially, in Chinese yuan--would scuttle the whole ticket for application towards a Challenge. Rep I got thought it was no problem but went away and checked with a supervisor, who said that the ticket segments on AA metal absolutely WOULD COUNT towards a challenge, and that as long as the ticket was on AA stock, AA flight numbers on AA metal (or AA codeshare on partners) and other normal conditions of the Challenge were met, this ticket absolutely would work. Also that the method of buying the ticket, currency etc, shouldn't make a difference--except that unpublished and consolidator-type tickets, Priceline, etc. wouldn't work.

So, I'm not sure what to think, based on this info vs. Argen-Tina's fiasco. Assuming there isn't some other circumstance in A-T's situation that negated the ticket applicability. I haven't pulled the trigger on the Challenge yet, as I have a little more time to think and can make a decision in November. It's likely that by Dec 31, I could make alternatively make Gold on EQM, with a little bit of domestic flying in the US in Dec. Platinum--no way I can get BIS EQM by Dec 31 even with DBLEQ promo. If I go with the Challenge, I'll report back later what happens on getting credited or no.
I'd suggest calling again and, assuming you get the same positive answer, see if you can get it confirmed in writing before or when you sign up for the Challenge. It would certainly be great to get this clarified, so thanks for reporting in!
Old Oct 27, 2009, 9:36 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by Argen_Tina
it turns out that I do not qualify because
my AA ticket was paid/purchased outside
of the USA. (not US dollars).

The trips starts in Argentina, with stops in Chicago, Tokyo... and ends in Singapore.
The ticket only shows two airlines, AA and JL. The ticket is on AA stock.

My AAdvantage acct address on file has always been in the US. (my home address)

Had I known that tickets purchased in non-US$ and originating outside of the US
would not quaflity for the platinum challenge, I would have never paid the $200.
Called AA a couple more times and spoke to two supervisors... got the same reply....
Not sure what to make of this. When I did the PLT challenge in 2007 all of my challenge flights originated in Argentina (actually it was one itinerary EZE-JFK-LHR-JFK-EZE) paid for using a UK credit card in GBP, not USD. Address on my AAdvantage account was and always has been Buenos Aires. I didn't have any problems then. Maybe the rules have changed since 2007??
Old Oct 27, 2009, 11:05 pm

Originally Posted by britenbsas
I didn't have any problems then. Maybe the rules have changed since 2007??
Or quite possibly Argen_Tina had the misfortune of speaking to a misinformed agent.
Old Oct 28, 2009, 6:19 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by oklAAhoma
Or quite possibly Argen_Tina had the misfortune of speaking to a misinformed agent.
That was my first thought but s/he did say "Called AA a couple more times and spoke to two supervisors... got the same reply.... " It does seem strange.
Old Oct 28, 2009, 6:27 am

Originally Posted by britenbsas
That was my first thought but s/he did say "Called AA a couple more times and spoke to two supervisors... got the same reply.... " It does seem strange.
I'd forgotten that part. Yes, it is strange.
Old Oct 28, 2009, 12:41 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Plus the fact that she apparently crossed 10K EQP and did not get promoted to PLT.
Old Oct 28, 2009, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by dstan
Plus the fact that she apparently crossed 10K EQP and did not get promoted to PLT.
Yeah. The whole thing was weird, and unfortunate for Argen_Tina, but I'm not ready to believe her situation is now the norm.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.