Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Gold & Platinum Elite Status Challenges 2004 - 2011

ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Gold & Platinum Elite Status Challenges 2004 - 2011

Old Oct 5, 2009, 11:44 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
Originally Posted by sivnaga
yes i agree, but that everyone does. so i am trying to get convinced so i can stick to AA. Delta is offering complementary upgrades all time, no 4 - 500 miles upgrades like that.
Well, the folks over at the Delta board seem to be a very happy bunch. (NOT)
Old Oct 5, 2009, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by sivnaga
yes i agree, but that everyone does. so i am trying to get convinced so i can stick to AA. Delta is offering complementary upgrades all time, no 4 - 500 miles upgrades like that.
subject to availability, of course.

Sounds like you've made up your mind.
Old Oct 5, 2009, 8:58 pm

Programs: AA Platinum(new, via challenge), UA 1K(since '06), BR Diamond(since '08)
Originally Posted by Gamecock
When did you cross 10K Points? (IOW, how many days have passed?)

I seem to remember my family rolled over to PLT about 72 hours after they deplaned at FRA. (This was early September)
ding ding ding ding! a couple of hours after my flight miles posted, I noticed my new PLATINUM status. This was around 3AM this morning(Monday). The flights were posted but nothing saying "platinum" on my acct. I came here and posted my original question. 4 hours later, around 7AM, I checked my account again. This time, it said PLATINUM next to my account number! However, the 100% platinum bonus miles didn't show. Another two hours later, when I was going to bed(after all night drinking with my friend to get over the end of Oktoberfest), I checked again. Nearly 7200 miles of 100% bonus miles got posted! My next few flights are in J and F, also across the oceans, so the bonus miles will no doubt pile up in the next few days! Cool!

Now that I have more time to think about it:

I basically paid $200 for the platinum challenge and managed to meet the 10,000 with just a one-way flight across the ocean at full J fare. It was the most un-challenging challenge I have ever attempted. One flight... What it comes down to is that AA has essentially sold me Platinum status for a mere $200, since I was going to fly these flights no matter what.

But like others have pointed out, there seems to be very few meaningful perks for my new Platinum status, other than the 100% bonus mile. It's essentially like a buy-one-get-one deal at the grocery store. If I fly one mile, I get one extra bonus mile, so award tickets will come twice as fast. Otherwise, I already get lounge access, business-class check-in, and elite security line access because all of my tickets are internationl business class fare.(with domestic segments booked in 2-class F)

Unfortunately, I will not fly on AA enough to qualify for EXP, unless AA starts a EXP challenge, which I'd gladly fork over $600 to sign up! (is AA listening?)

Last edited by SwissYankee; Oct 5, 2009 at 9:06 pm
Old Oct 6, 2009, 1:42 pm

Programs: AA Platinum(new, via challenge), UA 1K(since '06), BR Diamond(since '08)
addtional question:

now that I'm platinum, I noticed that my acct shows a line
that says something like miles to elite upgrade. it's now
more than 18,000 miles, but I see no upgrades listed in
my acct. I thought four 500-mile upgrades are issued
per 10000 miles, no?
Old Oct 6, 2009, 1:56 pm

Programs: AA 1.5 MM Exec Plat, WN A-List, DL Silver, UA nonrev
Originally Posted by SwissYankee
addtional question:

now that I'm platinum, I noticed that my acct shows a line
that says something like miles to elite upgrade. it's now
more than 18,000 miles, but I see no upgrades listed in
my acct. I thought four 500-mile upgrades are issued
per 10000 miles, no?
That's correct. For every 10,000 miles flown as an elite, you are given (4) 500 mile electronic upgrades.

Were all of those 18,000 miles flown as an elite (after your successful challenge)? If so, you might just have to wait a few more days. The electronic upgrades, IME, don't post the same day as the miles. For me, they've always posted a few days after.
Old Oct 7, 2009, 6:14 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
One flight... What it comes down to is that AA has essentially sold me Platinum status for a mere $200, since I was going to fly these flights no matter what.[/B]

But like others have pointed out, there seems to be very few meaningful perks for my new Platinum status, other than the 100% bonus mile. It's essentially like a buy-one-get-one deal at the grocery store. If I fly one mile, I get one extra bonus mile, so award tickets will come twice as fast. Otherwise, I already get lounge access, business-class check-in, and elite security line access because all of my tickets are internationl business class fare.(with domestic segments booked in 2-class F)
You are right about selling PLT status. I only pay for Y, and qualified with a RT TATL, which I was doing anyway.

As far as other bennies, you will get the super secret PLT desk number, which many around here are quick to point out just moves you to the front of the que on the regular AA customer service number. But I have found them to be much friendlier and quicker to help.

What else? With status you can use OW lounges when flying on AA. Some of them are VERY nice.

There is one intangible benifit to having status: Op-ups, when offered, usually go to those with status.
Old Oct 7, 2009, 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by Gamecock

What else? With status you can use OW lounges when flying on AA. Some of them are VERY nice.
I only became Platinum this week, as a result of completing the Platinum challenge. OW lounge access is not granted even if I'm holding AA international business class ticket, no? I assume I won't have access to OW lounges until I receive the physical AA Platinum card.
Old Oct 7, 2009, 3:48 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
I only became Platinum this week, as a result of completing the Platinum challenge. OW lounge access is not granted even if I'm holding AA international business class ticket, no? I assume I won't have access to OW lounges until I receive the physical AA Platinum card.
Depends upon the lounge, and the agent. At the CX lounges I've used, for example, a BP would suffice. I've also used just a BP at BA lounges in various places at times. Other times a card was required. It's certainly worth trying, and pleading your case since you are legit. But be prepared for "no."

Cheers.
Old Oct 7, 2009, 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by brp
Depends upon the lounge, and the agent. At the CX lounges I've used, for example, a BP would suffice. I've also used just a BP at BA lounges in various places at times. Other times a card was required. It's certainly worth trying, and pleading your case since you are legit. But be prepared for "no."

Cheers.
that almost sounded like...... well.... like when my new girlfriend said "not tonight sweetie, access not granted, I have a headache"
(but she obviously wouldn't tell me go seek access elsewhere.... )

oh well... I'll just stick to AA's own AC, which are quite nice in some of the foreign airports I'm visiting next week.
Old Oct 9, 2009, 5:29 pm

Programs: Former AA PLT/GLD, A3 *G, Priority Pass
Will this work?

Dec 12th
CCS-JFK= 4745 miles [Gold 25%+DBLEQ incl]
4745*1,5= 7118 EQP [B Inventory]

Beyond Dec 15th
JFK-MIA= 1363 miles [Gold 25% incl]
1363 EQP

MIA-CCS= 1700 miles [Gold 25% incl]
1700 EQP

Total= 10181 EQP
Old Oct 9, 2009, 5:39 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Originally Posted by mvtm
Will this work?

Dec 12th
CCS-JFK= 4745 miles [Gold 25%+DBLEQ incl]
4745*1,5= 7118 EQP [B Inventory]

Beyond Dec 15th
JFK-MIA= 1363 miles [Gold 25% incl]
1363 EQP

MIA-CCS= 1700 miles [Gold 25% incl]
1700 EQP

Total= 10181 EQP
Sorry, you do not get bonus EQP for being Gold - only bonus RDM.
http://www.flyerguide.com/wiki/index...oints_%28AA%29
Old Oct 9, 2009, 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by dstan
Sorry, you do not get bonus EQP for being Gold - only bonus RDM.
http://www.flyerguide.com/wiki/index...oints_%28AA%29
How about this:

Dec 12th
CCS-JFK= 4218 miles [DBLEQ]
4218*1,5= 6327 EQP [B]

Beyond Dec 15th
JFK-MIA= 1090 miles
1090*1,5= 1635 EQP [B]

MIA-CCS= 1360 miles
1360*1,5= 2040 EQP [B]

Total= 10002 EQP
I should be ashamed, thats too mediocre. haha
Old Oct 9, 2009, 6:08 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
How about this:

Dec 12th
4218*1,5= 6327 EQP [B]

Beyond Dec 15th
JFK-MIA= 1090 miles
1090*1,5= 1635 EQP [B]

MIA-CCS= 1360 miles
1360*1,5= 2040 EQP [B]

Total= 10002 EQP
The math looks good, but you might want to check upthread for Argen_tina's post about an apparent requirement to pay for itineraries in USD.
Old Oct 9, 2009, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
How about this:

Dec 12th
4218*1,5= 6327 EQP [B]

Beyond Dec 15th
JFK-MIA= 1090 miles
1090*1,5= 1635 EQP [B]

MIA-CCS= 1360 miles
1360*1,5= 2040 EQP [B]

Total= 10002 EQP
Does the [b] indicate business class?

If so, then yes, you should earn 1.5 pts for each mile flown and 10K pts will earn PLT status via a challenge.

However, you are cutting it pretty close here. Where are you looking to determine the mileage? There can be some very minor discrepancies between Great Circle Map and what AA actually awards for a flight. Usually the difference is only a couple of miles - which in your case might make make a big difference and AA doesn't allow any leeway w/the reqs. for the challenges.

Finally, IIRC you initially earned status via a challenge, be aware that the rules for challenges have changed - so "re-challenging" this soon may not be allowed. Also, there is now a fee for the challenges.
Old Oct 9, 2009, 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by dstan
The math looks good, but you might want to check upthread for Argen_tina's post about an apparent requirement to pay for itineraries in USD.
I'll pay in USD. I did challenge without a problem last year.
Thanks for the heads up.Anyways.. my math is a bit risky isn't it?
Should i go for it?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.