Gold, Plat, and EXP for sale via prepaid travel cards

Old Feb 14, 2007, 8:25 am

Location: Westford MA - AA PLT, 1.5MM, Lifetime AC, AAdvantage since 1981
This year's offer is different in another way:
"The AAdvantage elite status you receive via this offer will expire on February 29, 2008. If you fail to requalify for the same elite status level or higher by December 31, 2007, you will be downgraded one level effective March 1, 2008, and that status will remain intact through February 28, 2009."
Last year, the status expired with the expiration of the card. This year, they let you down gently.

People keep calling this "buying status." I disagree. Buying BIS tickets is "buying status" too, when you think about it. This just allows you to gain your status at the beginning of the year instead of the middle or end. And while you can "buy status" cheaper with BIS flying, this is still a good deal, provided you can use the entire amount of the card in one year. After all, it would be virtually impossible to spend $20,000 in one year and not earn EXP!
Old Feb 14, 2007, 8:39 am

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by GoBears
After all, it would be virtually impossible to spend $20,000 in one year and not earn EXP!
Not at all true. I spend that and hit PLT on points in paid J.
Old Feb 14, 2007, 9:05 am

Location: Westford MA - AA PLT, 1.5MM, Lifetime AC, AAdvantage since 1981
Originally Posted by ricktoronto
Not at all true. I spend that and hit PLT on points in paid J.

You should run right out and buy a $20,000 card and get EXP. You're one of the guys who will truly benefit from this program.

Last edited by GoBears; Feb 14, 2007 at 9:58 am
Old Feb 14, 2007, 11:48 am

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
I was thinking of that though there is not much added value (other than the VIP's) between the two when you already pay for J all the time.

That and the fact I am switching 90% of my travel to TACA/COPA to avoid MIA and the 4 hour delays each way through that connection, while buying full fare J at 85% of AA's cost.

I was happy to get to 1MM lifetime GLD and all that but more free time, more convenience and lack of hassle is becoming more important to me than miles, and there are better alternatives. I connect with no immigration and customs, no new TSA type security, no liquid inspections, and I arrive 5 hours earlier (despite departing at the same time here) and get as good service (though the Central American flight crews have always been top notch with AA) with these two airlines. And their lounge is free, the drinks are free, and the wi-fi is too.

My annual SCL trip will contuinue on AA but not enough to requalify for PLT, as it is only 18,000 EQP. But in 2008 I can do a challenge, and regain on one flight.

I understand your original point - on a lot of domestic coach travel with hoped for upgrades and such I bet $20K is enough to get EXP on segments or miles. International it does not go as far. 4 YYZ/SCL would get me 72K EQP and cost more than $20K.

Last edited by ricktoronto; Feb 14, 2007 at 11:55 am
Old Feb 14, 2007, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by martin33
how does one get from Asia to Europe on an AA codeshare?
Originally Posted by Hoc
Why not? If you booked the DONE3 or DONE4 with all AA flights or AA codeshares, and ticketed it through AA on AA stock, it seems to meet the requirements. Of course, you could not do some of the fancy stuff a lot of people do, like ticketing through Cathay in some out-of-the-way country. Still, if you ticket via an AA ticket office, and all of the flights in the itinerary are AA flights or codeshares, I would think you could use the card to buy a DONE3/4.
DEL-ORD-LAX-HKG-DEL with LAX-DEL on CX codeshares. But a waste of segments and the fact that you pay for Europe but don't visit it.
Old Feb 14, 2007, 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by headinclouds
DEL-ORD-LAX-HKG-DEL with LAX-DEL on CX codeshares. But a waste of segments and the fact that you pay for Europe but don't visit it.
LAX-DEL doesn't work. LAX-HKG is ok, but from HKG the CX/AA codeshares are to BKK, DPS, CGK, KUL, PEN, NRT, and SIN.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.