Gold, Plat, and EXP for sale via prepaid travel cards

Old Feb 1, 2007, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by shanj33
Seems like a lot of money just for elite status. If you do it the old fashion way, actually fly-butt in seat, might come out cheaper. IMO
"Might?" Should always, if you're at all cost-conscious. Several people have posted about earning EXP on miles for amounts in the vicinity of $3,000. I've done it for not a whole lot more. Fares are a bit higher now, and not everyone can find or use the best bargains, but $20,000 is way high for 100,000 miles in discount economy. (I'm not suggesting you sit there every time, natch.)
Old Feb 1, 2007, 2:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AAirpass, & CK 2MM, MR Plat Premier, DL Plat, US Plat, UA RECOVERING GS
Wow. Trippy.

It's like 2006, except in 2007.
Old Feb 1, 2007, 2:54 pm

Location: MSP (and will only fly NWA in re-routes if I HAVE to)
Programs: AA EXP (4.5MM), hotel programs as needed
Originally Posted by Redhead
They are also repeating the status purchase programme from last year whereby you can purchase the same level of status that you had the prior year if you were unable to requalify.
Only for GLD or PLT levels. EXPs have no similar prgram ...

Just wanted to make certain people knew there were details missing in this post...
Old Feb 1, 2007, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by Efrem
"Might?" Should always, if you're at all cost-conscious. Several people have posted about earning EXP on miles for amounts in the vicinity of $3,000. I've done it for not a whole lot more. Fares are a bit higher now, and not everyone can find or use the best bargains, but $20,000 is way high for 100,000 miles in discount economy. (I'm not suggesting you sit there every time, natch.)
It is however 2 DONE4's, something I and many others do every year. They're not selling status, they're giving a bonus of up front top tier status for prepaying flights so if someone knows they will be doing the travel and is currently with another airline it could be exactly the inducement to get them to switch.
Old Feb 1, 2007, 3:26 pm

Programs: AA 1.5 MM Exec Plat, WN A-List, DL Silver, UA nonrev
Originally Posted by IMOA
It is however 2 DONE4's...
Excuse my ignorance, but what is DONE4?

I looked in the FT Glossary and didn't see this term.
Still learning here
Old Feb 1, 2007, 3:34 pm

It's a one world explorer round the world fare travelling though 4 sectors in using a booking class of D (business)
Old Feb 1, 2007, 3:53 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, OW Sapphire, QF Bronze, Marriott Silver, Starwood Gold; National Emerald
Originally Posted by shanj33
Seems like a lot of money just for elite status. If you do it the old fashion way, actually fly-butt in seat, might come out cheaper. IMO
I paid $2731.50 last year for 55,866 EQM. (4.889 cpEQM)

However, what I was really shooting for was the straight FF miles, of which I scored 273,331 from the above flying, for 0.999 cpm, so I'm happy.

Steve
Old Feb 1, 2007, 4:29 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP
Hmm - my boss just confirmed that I now have a slightly changed role that will involve 4xDONE4 this year (including my currently bought and paid trip in March). Currently Plat - first trip planned to earn 57K eqp. So in theory if they run this all year I could have obtained EXP Status before my first trip - damnit!

EXP will this year cost me about US$17K - being 2xDONE4 - although I will get EXP about 1/2 way through the second trip I think. Mind you a lot could happen between now and then...
Old Feb 1, 2007, 4:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by simongr
Hmm - my boss just confirmed that I now have a slightly changed role that will involve 4xDONE4 this year (including my currently bought and paid trip in March). Currently Plat - first trip planned to earn 57K eqp. So in theory if they run this all year I could have obtained EXP Status before my first trip - damnit!
You could not use this card to purchase a DONE4 since

Originally Posted by aa.com
The American Airlines Prepaid Travel Card is valid for purchases of American Airlines travel products and services only.
Any flights purchased with the card must have a valid American Airlines or American Eagle flight number.
A DONE3 would not meet this requirement

Dave
Old Feb 1, 2007, 5:24 pm
us2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by edwin_p_morales
I can't imagine it is possible to be first to post important news that comes in AA email. But i searched for prepaid and pre paid and status with sale and other terms and did not find. So OK here goes, delete if old news.

http://www.aa.com/content/urls/prepa...paidtravelcard

You can prepay for 5,000 or 10,000 or 20,000 of travel and get Gold, Platinum, or EXP. Similar to the promotion last year but new program for 2007.

Again, hope this is news to some, I am considering.
It's worth noting that the amounts have doubled from last year. In 2006, the prices were $2,500, $5,000 and $10,000.
Old Feb 1, 2007, 5:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by us2
It's worth noting that the amounts have doubled from last year. In 2006, the prices were $2,500, $5,000 and $10,000.

Indeed. But this year they have released it at the beginning of february for purchase until end of march. Last years offer, iirc, was released in July for purchase by end august

Dave
Old Feb 1, 2007, 6:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLAT, Marriott Titanium/LT PLAT
last year's program was a rip off -- you opnly had 7 months to use all the money...but this year you have 12 months...much better....

if you have 2 J tickets long haul, I would do the EXP....
Old Feb 1, 2007, 6:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Premier
I've updated the Elite Levels article in the wiki to describe the new program:

http://flyertalk.com/wiki/index.php/...evels_%28AA%29

(it already has the Buy Back program documented if anyone is interested).
Old Feb 9, 2007, 4:14 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
The amounts are double because you have longer to use the money and status.

I'm going to have to extend mine. I still have 6k left over, so the fee to extend will be about $300. More worrisome is if I'll be spending the remaining 6k flying without status.

Traveler
Old Feb 9, 2007, 4:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 2.2 MM, Admirals Club, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Avis Presidents, National Exec
Gotta spend the $20k by end of Dec next year; WOW.

I guess if I was a CEO type and didn't have status I might consider. Can a company buy one and use it to buy other tickets (didn't read the finer details)? I could fly first class all year long (and I'm EXP) and probably not spend $20k anyways.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.