Wiki Posts
Search

AA Duty Free - Johnnie Walker Blue Label

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2007, 4:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by Landing Gear
Now, what I'd like is to be able to buy a 4.5 liter bottle of Red or Black label which I need for a party at the end of January. Anyone have any ideas or can help me out?
I've seen some of these in Costa Rica. I'm not sure if it was at the airport, or the duty free place that is near the Panamanian border, Golfito, which would be off of everyones map unless you lived in Costa Rica.
Old Jan 1, 2007, 6:49 am

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
Originally Posted by joe_s
Thank you very much! That was quite helpful.

stores.ebay.com/AL-CAPONES-SHOP sells Black and Red label in 4.5 liter sizes. I saw Black @ $135 for 4.5 liters. He also sells .75 liter Blue label for $126.
Thank you. I saw that last week. I am a bit reluctant to pay someone I don't know with a certified check.
Old Jan 1, 2007, 10:22 am

Programs: AA PLTPRO; DL GLD
Now, what I'd like is to be able to buy a 4.5 liter bottle of Red or Black label which I need for a party at the end of January. Anyone have any ideas or can help me out?

They've got them at the Duty Free in Dallas in Terminal D on the main level near gate 30 facing security. $125 for Black Label. Don't remember the price for Red.
Old Jan 1, 2007, 10:26 am

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
The cheapest I've paid for blue label was by in a duty free shop in argentina at the brazzilian border by igassu falls.
It was just $80!!!
They had great prices for other stuff as well...
Old Jan 1, 2007, 11:10 am

Programs: Continental One Pass & HHonors Silver
Is it worth it?

Sells for $100 at my location is it really worth it? Had the black Label before how does it compare?
Old Jan 1, 2007, 11:44 am

Programs: AA, Hilton
SJU has it for 120. I've seen it in St Maarten stores for less than a hundred.

Wow, I am going to have to check out SXM. Less than a hundred for what size???
Old Jan 1, 2007, 12:32 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by juiciking
Sells for $100 at my location is it really worth it? Had the black Label before how does it compare?
There is a huge difference between JW Black and Blue. If you like black, then it is probably worth the price (esp. as USD 100 is cheap, even for the 0.75l size). The taste is hard to describe, it is in the JW style and a blend, but with a lot of depth and nuance as it includes some old and rare single malts (unlike black). However the much cheaper JW Gold is almost as good (typically half the blue price). But make no mistake, this is not Glenmorangie 1975 that you are buying (the best of the single malts are still much better than Blue, however they also cost more!).
Old Jan 2, 2007, 6:59 am

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
SXM was approximately $120 per litre as of my visit on 12/24. I also thought $16 for 2x 1 litre bottles of Stoli was a nice buy. The new terminal is very nice, incidently.

Total OT: I was very disappointed with the prices of havana cigars at SXM. They are a complete rip-off (over 2x "la cas del habana" in SBH) and the duty free shop didn't seem to have very good humidity control.
Old Jan 2, 2007, 8:07 am

Programs: AA-LT Plat; BA-CCR & LT Gold; SQ-Solitaire; DL-Plat; SPG-LT Plat; HHonors-Diamond; Hyatt-Globalist
Depending on where you are make a quick road trip into Canada. Most DFA stores on the Canadian side carry large bottles of black and red. Never had a problem with US customs ever wanting duty to be paid when I am coming back in. The crossings I have used are Queenston - Lewiston Bridge and the Peace Bridge.
Old Jan 3, 2007, 5:02 pm

Programs: AA, WN, Hyatt, Club Carlson, HHonors, MRewards, CET, M Life
How long can I store a bottle? I bought one 2 years ago on AA for $125 but my original recipient didn't want it any more.
Old Jan 3, 2007, 5:44 pm

stores.ebay.com/AL-CAPONES-SHOP sells Black and Red label in 4.5 liter sizes. I saw Black @ $135 for 4.5 liters. He also sells .75 liter Blue label for $126.
Guess what?

He's out of business!
Old Jan 3, 2007, 6:47 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by PokerHammy
How long can I store a bottle? I bought one 2 years ago on AA for $125 but my original recipient didn't want it any more.
Indefinitely (hundreds of years). The shelf life of whiskies once they are in glass is determined by the "evaporation" rate (sips from the bottle). They neither improve with age, nor get worse (that only happens in wood).
Old Jan 5, 2007, 5:35 pm

Programs: AA, Hilton, Marriott, Starwood
Guess what?
He's out of business!
Bummer. I didn't realize he'd only take certified checks, BTW. I'd never buy from such a vendor; I would not have mentioned it had I realized that.
Old Jan 5, 2007, 9:18 pm

Bummer. I didn't realize he'd only take certified checks, BTW. I'd never buy from such a vendor; I would not have mentioned it had I realized that.
No problem. The whole thing had a shady air about it what with the fact that guy said he was the manager of a duty free shop. That raised some legal questions, at the very least.
Old Jan 6, 2007, 12:09 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, Delta Plat
really worth it?

I haven't tried it, but I have to question the $120 bottle of blended (right?!) Scotch. And I say this as a fan of Scotch in general and Johnnie Red specifically. Can any true Scotch fan opine?

Johnnie Red has a lot of Glenlivet blended into it, and I'm a fan of Glenlivet, so I like it just fine. But it only costs, what, $25 for 1.75 liters? Hard to find fault there.

What's Blue got going on that's so special? Frankly I'm wondering if it earns the price tag.

That said: the best bottle of Scotch I've ever enjoyed had a name I've never seen since. It was bottled in 1973 and had a handwritten labe and lot numberl. My wife-to-be and my impending cousins-in-law indulged long and happily while a -20 Minnesota snowstorm raged outside.

-KF

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.