Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Mileage Upgrade during Gold Challenge - Booking Code Q => A - How many points?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2006, 9:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, HHonors Gold VIP

I booked a domestic round-trip flight that produced a total of ~ 3200 air miles. The booking code was Q, so I figured that I would be getting 0.5 points per mile. I went ahead and used a mileage upgrade to First, and the booking code on AA.com changed to A as expected.

I then called and enrolled in the Gold Challenge and asked the CS rep how many points I would get from my already booked flight. The CS rep stated that I would be getting 1.5 points per mile, so my already booked flight would put me at ~ 4800 points. From what I've read elsewhere on this forum, the points would be determined from my original Fare Code of Q, so I'm a bit confused. Can anyone shed any light on this? Thanks!
Old Aug 10, 2006, 9:40 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

on ALL AA flights you will only earn the miles or points for the fare you PAID. period.

As you experienced there are cases with UGs that post at a rate higher than the ratio expected for the fare class paid. You should NEVER expect this, nor plan for it. Never.

Last edited by HNL; Aug 10, 2006 at 9:47 pm
Old Aug 11, 2006, 7:47 am

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
DO NOT plan on getting the 1.5. I did the same on a trip to HI (upgraded) and still only got the normal EQP's.
Old Aug 11, 2006, 9:27 am

I had this same situation about a month ago and have also had it one other time since then. Both of mine were due to voluntering to be bumped and they upgraded me to first class on the next flights. On both of these flights I was awarded the 1.5 EQP.

In most cases whatever your boarding pass says is what you will be credited by. AA.com does not display booking codes they display cabin codes on the reservations page.
Old Aug 11, 2006, 3:33 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Last month I flew two stand-bys for earlier flights. My the first flight was originally booked in K and when I cleared I was issued a BP with a K. When I made it to DFW and checked my status for the next flight the AC agent gave me a stand-by BP with a fare code of Y even though it was orginally booked in V. When i cleared stand-by at the gate I got a real BP again with Y. A few days later the flight posted to my account and I got 1.5 EQP for the second flight. I didn't pay for Y so, I guess it can happen.
Old Aug 11, 2006, 3:49 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by skunker
Last month I flew two stand-bys for earlier flights. My the first flight was originally booked in K and when I cleared I was issued a BP with a K. When I made it to DFW and checked my status for the next flight the AC agent gave me a stand-by BP with a fare code of Y even though it was orginally booked in V. When i cleared stand-by at the gate I got a real BP again with Y. A few days later the flight posted to my account and I got 1.5 EQP for the second flight. I didn't pay for Y so, I guess it can happen.
Yes it does happen, it is not supposed to, and the OP was expecting that it would, which is not the case.
Old Aug 11, 2006, 4:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
It seems the answer is "it's not supposed to happen, but if it happens then don't say anything and bask in luckiness."

That's what happened to me when I used my one-way upgrade from LAX-DFW-BWI - got a ticket issued in Q changed to A, counter gave me a BP with fare A on it, logged on several days later to see my Q-Points, they posted 1.5 instead of 0.5 ^
Old Aug 12, 2006, 11:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, HHonors Gold VIP
Thanks for the input and experiences everyone, I guess I'll just wait and see...
Old Aug 12, 2006, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by kebosabi
It seems the answer is "it's not supposed to happen, but if it happens then don't say anything and bask in luckiness."

That's what happened to me when I used my one-way upgrade from LAX-DFW-BWI - got a ticket issued in Q changed to A, counter gave me a BP with fare A on it, logged on several days later to see my Q-Points, they posted 1.5 instead of 0.5 ^
Let' be careful, folks. There's an exception to almost every rule. Everytime someone asks if they can upgrade an award ticket, we get pages of examples of where it has happened, even though we all know the right answer is no. So let's not go setting people's expectations that it might happened. Almost certainly it will not. If you upgrade a Q ticket to A, you will get mileage credit for Q. Yes, we all know there are times where AA's systems screw up and you get the mileage for A, but it's not supposed to happen that way and rarely does. The OP should plan on getting Q mileage credit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.