STATUS FOR SALE-- *including EXP*

Old Jul 27, 2006, 5:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP 4MM, SPG, GP
The way I read the offer I wouldn't bet on the VIP's. If they were included wouldn't AA want to mention that to entice buyers? From AA's point of view you're 'buying' the status level for the various privilages that it entails for a limited time. Anyone know for sure if they are included?
Old Jul 27, 2006, 5:49 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
inlanikai, I agree with everything you said and, yet, still feel that AA is doing the right thing for AA. They're in business to make money, and this will make them money. As an EXP as wll, I think this sucks. However, as someone who also works for a company that tries to make money (so they can give me bigger raises and bonuses), I'd feel somewhat hypocritical complaining that A is doing the same thing.

Cheers.
Old Jul 27, 2006, 5:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP 4MM, SPG, GP
Originally Posted by inlanikai
* There is nothing that I read, maybe I missed it, that says you can't spend the $10K for someone else's tickets. A CEO buys the card using his AAdvantage number, gets EXP benies, and sends 10 people to a trade show twice over the next 6 months and he has EXP.
Better take a second look at that offer. It is very clear that there's no way to use the card to buy anything for anyone else. Honestly, It was the first thing I thought of as I do a lot of Asia business travel with family.

Re-read the offer and I think you'll feel better.
Old Jul 27, 2006, 5:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Platinum
Though there was about seven months in between, I bet that there is some link between AA starting this offer and ending the lifetime AC membership offer. Wouldn't be hard for someone buying that to also spend $4,500 the rest of the year.
Old Jul 27, 2006, 6:05 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by EXPflyer1
The way I read the offer I wouldn't bet on the VIP's. If they were included wouldn't AA want to mention that to entice buyers? From AA's point of view you're 'buying' the status level for the various privilages that it entails for a limited time. Anyone know for sure if they are included?
I'll check, of course. But if they weren't included they'd have to mention it-- not the other way around-- they don't mention -most- of the EP benefits by name in the offer if you notice.
Old Jul 27, 2006, 6:18 pm

Programs: AA EX PLT
This is a huge issue. If you don't get the eVIPs then it is not as attractive.
Anyone called them and gotten an answer?
Old Jul 27, 2006, 6:30 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by spurg
This is a huge issue. If you don't get the eVIPs then it is not as attractive.
Anyone called them and gotten an answer?
Feel free.
Old Jul 27, 2006, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by martin33
say you had $3k left to spend in those three months. $350 means you're paying a 11.7% premium on all those airfares. great deal for AA, but we're surely going a little nuts if we start paying even more than AA already charges for flying.
The extension costs the greater of $50 or 5% of the remaining balance. Under my example, that would be $250 on $5k; in your example the extension would cost $150. Neither is material if you can afford to write AA a check for $10k right now.

And in my example, no extension fee need be paid if you can get you 100k q-points or eqms or 100 segments flown by 2/28/06. But if that's problematic, 5% more gets you another 3 mo to finish.
Old Jul 27, 2006, 6:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 8 MM; Hilton Diamond
Aadvantage CS says....

I just spoke to *ill in Aadvantage customer service.
*he says: "includes all benefits of EXP (or PLT etc) including eVIPS", "cannot be used for gift cards and purchasing Aadvantage miles"; "can be used for AC" (which is also on aa.com).
Old Jul 27, 2006, 7:09 pm

Programs: BA GLD for LIfe, AA PLT 2 MM miler, B6 Mosaic, Star GLD; HH Diamond; Marriott PLT, IHG Plat
This does work for someone like me. I have been Platinum for at least the last 10 years, but never get to EXP because my travel is spread around to many locations on many airlines. [This year, I might not hit 50K on AA without codeshares because although I've done 6 BOS-LHR trips so far this year, the client for 5 of these has a deal with BA, but since I'm a 2 MM miler, I'm OK]. However, I'm virtually certain to do 2 more business class trips to Europe and one trip to Sydney.

As long as using this card as the payment vehicle didn't preclude reimbursement by clients, I'd get EXP for part of the year in return for the foregone interest on $10K for a few months. Is the differential between Platinum and EXP worth $250 pre-tax (5% on $10K for 6 months)?
Old Jul 27, 2006, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by shawbridge
Is the differential between Platinum and EXP worth $250 pre-tax (5% on $10K for 6 months)?
If you travel internationally on coach fares, I'd say "yes" if you value the eight eVIPs at $500 each (as I do, since they're worth $250 + 25k miles each). So $4,000 worth of international upgrades is definitely > $250 pre-tax. Your mileage could not possibly vary on this one.
Old Jul 27, 2006, 7:17 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by bbkenney
I just spoke to *ill in Aadvantage customer service.
*he says: "includes all benefits of EXP (or PLT etc) including eVIPS", "cannot be used for gift cards and purchasing Aadvantage miles"; "can be used for AC" (which is also on aa.com).

Just got off about 10 minutes with the EXP desk who checked with AAdvantage customer service. They looked at all the materials and reference screens and could not find anything that says you get the eVIPS. For me since I spend about 75k + a year with AA I would have done it just to get the extra eVIPs.

That said, they took my phone number and said they are going to check with the office responsible for putting the program together tomorrow when they are open for business and call me. I will let you know as soon as I hear.
Old Jul 27, 2006, 7:22 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by elitetraveler
Just got off about 10 minutes with the EXP desk who checked with AAdvantage customer service. They looked at all the materials and reference screens and could not find anything that says you get the eVIPS. For me since I spend about 75k + a year with AA I would have done it just to get the extra eVIPs.
Your profile says that you are currently EXP--And you were speaking to the EXP desk-- what am I missing? What are you trying to buy?

I would be quite interested to see what the expiration date of the eVIPs is..
Old Jul 27, 2006, 7:25 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by JonNYC
Your profile says that you are currently EXP--And you were speaking to the EXP desk-- what am I missing? What are you trying to buy?

I would be quite interested to see what the expiration date of the eVIPs is..
As an EXP, since I know I will be spending 10k dollars with AA flying between now and then - I could use the extra eVIPs.

--specifically, if I got 8 i would use them JFK-LAX to up from C to P - i think the C fare is probably about 2k RT and the P is about 4.5 so at 4 RTs it would save me about 10k buying C and upgrading instead of buying P
Old Jul 27, 2006, 7:26 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by elitetraveler
As an EXP, since I know I will be spending 10k dollars with AA flying between now and then - I could use the extra eVIPs.
They're not gonna' do it that way.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.