FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   AA173 cancelled today (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/583446-aa173-cancelled-today.html)

AA56 Jul 26, 2006 2:59 pm

AA173 cancelled today

Does anyone know why AA173 was cancelled today?

AA174 is cancelled in return.

Many thanks.

MJonTravel Jul 26, 2006 3:06 pm

expertflyer doesn't say.... other than flight cancelled...

SAN-man Jul 26, 2006 3:24 pm

I assume it's the same plane that comes in from LAX being discussed here.

FWAAA Jul 26, 2006 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by SAN-man
I assume it's the same plane that comes in from LAX being discussed here.

I'd say that's a pretty good explanation.

aa4ever Jul 26, 2006 4:06 pm

How does this link in with the LAX plane? Is it doing some routing like LAX-LHR-LAX-DFW-LGW-RDU or similar?

Thanks

Fly AA J all the way Jul 26, 2006 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by aa4ever
How does this link in with the LAX plane? Is it doing some routing like LAX-LHR-LAX-DFW-LGW-RDU or similar?

Thanks

When you're down a plane, it's gotta come from somewhere.

And, even if that isn't the plane's normal routing, isn't it possible they looked at the GSK traffic (because that's who uses that the most), saw that they could axe that flight for a day and then creatively route the planes to make up for its absence elsewhere?

aviationkiwi Jul 26, 2006 5:35 pm

Wasn't the LAX-LHR a B777 and the RDU-LGW a B767?

aa4ever Jul 26, 2006 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by aviationkiwi
Wasn't the LAX-LHR a B777 and the RDU-LGW a B767?

RDU-LGW is a 777 until September when it gets downgraded to a 763. Supposedly permanent downgrade, but I heard from an FA based at RDU that GSK is fighting to get the 777 back in April. I know FAs are infamously innaccurate, but I guess it might happen. I'm not counting on it getting upgraded, though.

ORDflyer Jul 26, 2006 8:44 pm

Could I respectfully ask...

Who cares? Isn't this a rather narrow concern? One flight cancelled from where to wherever?

carlitos Jul 27, 2006 3:01 am

I know it is a little off topic, but this kind of things makes the 777 flagshipsuite change into coffins and piss off people who thought they were flying on the suites. That is why it is good to say that you have a 50/50 chance of getting a suite even if AA.com says you ll get it.

Hey, the A class thread from LHR-USA is the one to blame for me diverting to another topic, jejeje.

Fly AA J all the way Jul 27, 2006 6:50 am

Originally Posted by carlitos
I know it is a little off topic, but this kind of things makes the 777 flagshipsuite change into coffins and piss off people who thought they were flying on the suites. That is why it is good to say that you have a 50/50 chance of getting a suite even if AA.com says you ll get it.

Hey, the A class thread from LHR-USA is the one to blame for me diverting to another topic, jejeje.

But you are assuming the ac taken out had suites and something else will go coffins. What if it was a coffin flight? Granted, whatever it was doesn't guarantee how they'll shuffle planes around, but you never know.

AA-Platinum Jul 27, 2006 7:14 am

Originally Posted by FWAAA
I'd say that's a pretty good explanation.

Actually, it is not. AA-134 goes LAX-LHR and is scheduled to arrive at 2:50pm. AA-173 goes LGW-RDU and is scheduled to depart daily at 1:00pm

Thus, not only does AA-173 leave almost 2 hours before AA-134 arrives, but it flies from a different airport

bbkenney Jul 27, 2006 7:29 am

Originally Posted by ORDflyer
Who cares? Isn't this a rather narrow concern? One flight cancelled from where to wherever?

Attention flyertalk members: Please send all posts to ORDflyer for pre-posting approval.

(alternately, you could simply not read them)

nytango Jul 27, 2006 7:32 am

Originally Posted by AA-Platinum
Actually, it is not. AA-134 goes LAX-LHR and is scheduled to arrive at 2:50pm. AA-173 goes LGW-RDU and is scheduled to depart daily at 1:00pm

Thus, not only does AA-173 leave almost 2 hours before AA-134 arrives, but it flies from a different airport

not fair ... using facts like this

FWAAA Jul 27, 2006 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by AA-Platinum

Actually, it is. 134 didn't arrive on time at LHR.

134 diverted to JFK due to engine failure. Later that morning, AA canceled 173, perhaps so that 777 could ferry over to LHR and fly as 135 LHR-LAX (since 134 had not yet arrived after its diversion to JFK). Probably because it was easier to disrupt the pax on the LGW-RDU and route them LHR-JFK-RDU than to try to re-route the 135 pax all the way back to LAX.

Originally Posted by nytango
not fair ... using facts like this

It would be no fair - had there been some facts. :D