Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Transportation e- and paper Voucher / vouchers / "MCO" FAQ and master thread

Old Jun 13, 2013, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Transportation Voucher, "MCO" FAQ

Transportation eVouchers
Link to aa.com eVouchers Terms and Conditions page
Link to aa.com eVoucher page

General Information
Glossary: MCO - Miscellaneous Charges Order

AA issues e-vouchers to those in US 50 states, US Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico as of 28 Nov 2019. Printed green vouchers are still used for those residing elsewhere at this time.

Transportation vouchers issued by American Airlines or American Eagle are valid for travel on American Airlines, American Eagle and American Airlines codeshare flights (AA*).

These vouchers are also valid for travel on oneworld itineraries (including oneworld affiliates that must be booked as a codeshare flight marketed by a oneworld carrier) where American Airlines or American Airlines codeshare flights (AA*) is the international carrier.

Note: For oneworld itineraries, international flights are defined as transatlantic, transpacific and flights to and from South America. Flights to and from Alaska, Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, or Central America are not included.

Travel agents may accept American Airlines vouchers (042/043) for full or partial payment for a ticket as an "exchange" document/ticket. If the voucher is less than the ticket the additional monies are collected. If the voucher exceeds the ticket cost an MCO will be issued for the difference as a residual indicating non-refundable and for American Airlines transportation only. Valid one year from date of issue ((you must encumber the voucher before one year has expired since issuance*). There is no change fee / ASC associated with using a voucher. Updated 18 Feb 2015.)

The original post, provided by member IceTrojan, has been placed here so members can edit and update as necessary. Information below has not necessarily been updated; be aware.

FAQ: AA Vouchers

Q. How do vouchers work on AA?

They are treated just like cash towards valid purchases.

Q. What can I use the vouchers on?
  • Airfare on American Airlines (inc. American Eagle), codeshares, and oneworld itineraries where AA is the international/"governing" carrier.
  • 500-mile domestic upgrade stickers (at the airport only).
  • Co-payments for upgrades or reduced mileage awards.
  • Excess baggage fees.
  • Special handling fees (e.g. checked pets), with a traveling passenger (i.e. not cargo).
  • Change fees, provided an additional collection of the fare is also being made.
There are special considerations if you are located in the following countries (may not be up to date):
  • In the UK, Belgium, Germany and France, vouchers are accepted for Net fares.
  • In Switzerland, vouchers are accepted on Q and L class Net fares only.
  • In Ireland, vouchers are accepted in Q, O and L class Net fares only.
Q. Can I use American Airlines travel vouchers to purchase a vacation package from AAVacations?

Yes, travel vouchers can be used toward the American Airlines and American Eagle flight portion of your trip, but may not be used to purchase any of the non-flight components of your trip such as hotels, rental cars, transfers, activities or insurance. Travel vouchers are not currently accepted online, but may be redeemed by calling AAVacations at 1-800-489-4810.

Q. Can I use the vouchers for ANYTHING else?

No.

Q. Really?

Yes, really.

Q. Are there restrictions on purchasing airfare?

Unlike other airlines that place restrictions on certain fares/dates/times/routes, AA vouchers are just like cash, so you can use them to buy all fares that are available for purchase.

Q. How long do I have to use the vouchers?

One (1) year from date of issuance.

Q. I can't use my voucher in time. How can I extend the expiration date?
AA automatically extended the expiration of some vouchers in 2021. If your expiration date was between January 1, 2021 and May 31, 2021, the new expiration is March 31, 2022.

If you still need to extend the expiration, spend at least part it on any of its valid uses listed above. For example, pay for a cheap throwaway ticket, a speculative ticket, or a 500-mile upgrade certificate. Any unused amount will be sent to you as a new voucher with a new 1-year expiration date.

Q. What if I lose a voucher?

Sorry, you're out of luck. Treat your vouchers like cash.

Q. Can I use the vouchers to buy tickets for someone else?

While vouchers are non-transferable, you may buy a ticket in someone else's name, so long as you are the one presenting the voucher (either by phone or personally at a ticket counter/office). If someone else presents the voucher, the ticket MUST be issued in the name of that on the voucher.

Q. Is there a fee for using the vouchers?

It appears that ticketing at an airport ticket office is still subject to a charge of $30, unless you are EXP.

Note that if you are EXP, these "booking" fees are waived (and any Agent that tells you otherwise is wrong). (thanks SquareDanceGuy)

Note that if you have booked the ticket online and go to the airport to apply a voucher, there are no fees either, regardless of status. (thanks RogerD408)

Q. What happens to the taxes?

This depends on the type of voucher. The following voucher codes are exempt from some of the taxes: Basically, if you use these vouchers to pay for the whole cost of your fare, you will lower the overall costs as some of the taxes do not apply. (thanks uncle wiggly) If you make a partial payment with vouchers, then the associated taxes will likewise be reduced by the same proportional amount. (thanks marshall)

OU is the only voucher taxable, as it's issued against the unused portion of a ticket that has been exchanged (amongst other things). (thanks hillrider)

Q. What if the value of my vouchers exceed the value of my fare? Do I lose it? (thanks ffay005)

Unlike some* other airlines, you do NOT lose the residual value of your vouchers. If the residual value is more than $5, AA will mail you another voucher back as change, and this voucher is valid for one (1) year after its issuance. (thanks whynotfly) *golfmad added the word "some" based on post #440.

Q. How many vouchers can I use at one time?

According to one AAgent, nine (9) was the maximum number of vouchers accepted by the system.

Q. I bought AA tickets from a 3rd party (e.g., travel agent, internet travel site, Priceline/Hotwire). Can I use the vouchers retroactively?

No.
Q. How long does it take to process the vouchers?

After they receive the vouchers, AA will process them within 1-3 days, so it's really dependent on how long it takes the mail to arrive to Florida. AA reservations will accept the vouchers for a phone booking, if the reservation made is at least 12 days prior to departure. It's recommended that if you need to ticket within 2 weeks that you go directly to an Airport Ticket Office, which can process your voucher/s immediately.

Q. How do I apply vouchers to a reservation I have on hold on AA.com?
  1. Call Web Services at 1-800-222-2377 or 1-918-832-1384 (6:00 AM - 2:00 AM CT, 7 days a week). In the UK, call 08-45-601-0619 (8:30 AM - 5:00 PM UK time, Monday-Friday).
  2. Give them the PNR and tell them you would like to apply vouchers.
  3. They will give you instructions on how to send the vouchers in.
  4. Pay any balance with a credit card.
Q. What's the address where I send my vouchers to?
US: up-to-date in March 2021, UK: up-to-date in January 2022

American Airlines
M.D. 8A701
Fort Worth, TX 76155
USA

The return address for those in the UK and the rest of Europe, who have agreed to send their voucher(s) to AA in the UK, is:

American Airlines
100 Old Hall Street
The Plaza, 7th floor
Liverpool L3 9QJ
United Kingdom

On the envelope under the return address, write:
<Date of first flight, in DD Month format (e.g. 01 Jan)>

Attach a sticky note to the vouchers with the following details:
<First flight number, e.g. AA1234>
<Last name>
<Booking record locator, AKA booking reference>

(Notice: vouchers are not processed sequentially based on date of the voucher/s being received by AA, but rather on flight dates. Flights may show as "Ticket Pending" once the voucher has been applied, and at some time prior to flight (two weeks is usual) it will show "Ticketed" and you should be able to see your ticket number, beginning with "001", in your receipt from your itinerary at aa.com or in your e-Ticket. Also notice that you should photocopy your voucher/s prior to mailing them.)

Q. What if I entered a Business Extra number?

You will have to contact Business Extra to apply the vouchers. Their number is 1-800-433-1790, and they are available 5:00 AM - 12:00 PM, CT, 7 days a week.

Q. What if I live outside the United States and I want to use vouchers?

As the vouchers are in US Dollars, it's probably most convenient to call the US reservations number for a new booking denoted in US Dollars, thus avoiding any currency conversion, except any associated with your credit card. You can call your local reservations number or visit a local Airport Ticket Office (ATO). Beware that there's not a large network of ATOs.

In all likelihood, you will be asked to mail your voucher(s) to AA, so if time is of the essence, you should consider going directly to an ATO, who can process it/them immediately.

Obsolete posts from 2014-2015 have been archived to: ARCHIVE: Transportation Voucher / vouchers / "MCO" FAQ and master thread.
Older obsolete posts from 2013 and before, can be read in: ARCHIVE: Transportation Voucher / vouchers / "MCO" FAQ and master thread (consol.).
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 7, 2016, 5:20 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Courtesy card. Delta 2MM Diamond. AA platinum pro

I had 2 one way international tickets which I canceled to apply to a new round trip flight less the change fee of course. After they were canceled the agent told me I could only apply one to the new ticket. Because I had multiple flights before the expiration date and could not manage another one I requested a voucher less the change fee. The EXP agent spoke to her manager who agreed to the request. It was forwarded to refunds who , 2weeks later , said no.
Any suggestions?
Old Jan 12, 2016, 7:15 pm

Programs: UA 1k, Hyatt Globalist
Question (haven't found this on the thread so far):

I just used a voucher to purchase a trip to China coming up on 3/3 - was told to mail. In order to secure a visa, though, I must provide proof of the ticket. Is there anything I can do to expedite the process? (for example, write "please expedite-China" under the return address) Not sure if I can visit an airport ticketing counter now or not...
Old Jan 13, 2016, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by bakster21
Question (haven't found this on the thread so far):

I just used a voucher to purchase a trip to China coming up on 3/3 - was told to mail. In order to secure a visa, though, I must provide proof of the ticket. Is there anything I can do to expedite the process? (for example, write "please expedite-China" under the return address) Not sure if I can visit an airport ticketing counter now or not...
I'd suggest taking the voucher to an airport and ask the TA to process it for your. Unfortunately I've found way too many that won't do them or don't know how to do them than I've found willing/able to do them. There is phone help available for the TA as well as online documentation, but many won't bother to go to that step and some that do say they know how to process them don't do it right (not backing off taxes for DV types).

But if you need the ticket issued, that's the quickest way to get it done. Once you mail it, you go in the queue. Though they do file your request by date, I'm not sure they just go by date on the envelope before even opening or if you could list your travel date as 2-3 weeks out but actually be six months away.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by RogerD408
It might not be too late... Contact AA and ask them about the situation. Given they have always "refunded" the taxes over-paid to another voucher, maybe they can do this retroactively? Wouldn't hurt to ask. Maybe if they end up having to do so much re-work they will find a way to get their TAs properly trained.
Originally Posted by 21A
The department you want is Refunds:
http://www.aa.com/i18n/reservations/...&title=refunds
When I called in this very situation they understood the request and were quite helpful. Might be worth a shot.
Just wanted to bump this up and thank you guys. After I had flown the flight in question (purchased with a transportation voucher and including taxes/fees which should have been exempted) I filled in the online form requesting a refund of the incorrectly-collected taxes. I did not expect to hear anything but was shocked when I received a new voucher in the mail for the amount in question. ^
Old Jan 13, 2016, 2:58 pm

I'd suggest taking the voucher to an airport and ask the TA to process it for your. Unfortunately I've found way too many that won't do them or don't know how to do them than I've found willing/able to do them. There is phone help available for the TA as well as online documentation, but many won't bother to go to that step and some that do say they know how to process them don't do it right (not backing off taxes for DV types).

But if you need the ticket issued, that's the quickest way to get it done. Once you mail it, you go in the queue. Though they do file your request by date, I'm not sure they just go by date on the envelope before even opening or if you could list your travel date as 2-3 weeks out but actually be six months away.
I appreciate the assist - will be at PHL this weekend and will see if I can get a TA to assist me before departure. Will report back update.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 3:42 pm

I quickly search the thread, but didn't have time to read the entire replies... so sorry if this is a repetitive question.

I have a $1000 + 2 x $104 AA travel vouchers that were 1) issued as VDB and 2) fare difference refund. I am hoping to buy a DONE4 ex-JNB soon and was hoping to get this issued as an AA ticket. Can I use these vouchers to apply them to this DONE4 ticket? If so, how can I do this?
Old Jan 22, 2016, 6:44 pm

Quick update to my last post #381:

Arrived early to PHL and a great agent willing to work with me. She admitted that she hadn't processed many of these vouchers yet (pmUS) but I had the time to wait and said take your time. She worked on it and ended up calling a supervisor (pmAA) to help with one part but was successful! Printed out my residual voucher as well as the ticket confirmation.

Much better IMO then putting it in the mail...
Old Jan 22, 2016, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by bakster21
Quick update to my last post #381:

Arrived early to PHL and a great agent willing to work with me. She admitted that she hadn't processed many of these vouchers yet (pmUS) but I had the time to wait and said take your time. She worked on it and ended up calling a supervisor (pmAA) to help with one part but was successful! Printed out my residual voucher as well as the ticket confirmation.

Much better IMO then putting it in the mail...
Yes, immediate ticketing is nice. However, correct processing is more important. I've been told instructions are online for all agents, but many either can't find them or won't look.

Was your voucher a DV? Did they back off the taxes on the new ticket?
Old Jan 23, 2016, 3:45 am

Programs: VA Platinum
I've just tried to book using my voucher on JNB - CPT return in Dec 2016. Voucher expires June 2016.
Spoke to 2 different agents and want to be sure before booking with the agent that said yes as it impacts another flight.
Do I just need to book before the expiry date of the voucher and travel anytime, or book and fly the outbound before the expiry?
Old Jan 23, 2016, 7:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Paros_fan
I've just tried to book using my voucher on JNB - CPT return in Dec 2016. Voucher expires June 2016.
Spoke to 2 different agents and want to be sure before booking with the agent that said yes as it impacts another flight.
Do I just need to book before the expiry date of the voucher and travel anytime, or book and fly the outbound before the expiry?
As stated in the Wiki above, you must encumber the voucher before it expires. I read that as have the voucher applied, so mailing it in may not work if they don't get to your ticket until after it expires (although there is good reason to expect them to waive that at long as it is post-marked before hand). I would suggest making your way to an AA TA (airport or ticket office) and get the ticket issued immediately.

Also, be aware, any refund of the new ticket should be to the same form of payment and the new voucher would have the same expiration date as the original. So don't expect to get another year to use the funds.
Old Jan 23, 2016, 10:23 am

Programs: VA Platinum
So thats what I thought and read but got different info. Just phoned and apparently it has to be an AA flight number and unfortunately if pricing up on AA.com, it only brings back BA flight numbers.
So the voucher can't be used JNB - CPT or even LHR - ATH
Old Jan 23, 2016, 1:19 pm

Yes, immediate ticketing is nice. However, correct processing is more important. I've been told instructions are online for all agents, but many either can't find them or won't look.

Was your voucher a DV? Did they back off the taxes on the new ticket?
It was a voucher I received during during an international oversold situation - since I was flying alone with no bags, I took it up. I believe they still included taxes , as I used it for an international itinerary I put on hold. I'll go back and check the receipt though just to be sure.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 9:20 am

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
Using AA voucher to upgrade AS-operated service

I am due to fly MIA-LAX on AA 2572, which is operated by AS.

I booked and paid for Coach and was perfectly happy with this.

However, due to (long boring story omitted) I am now the proud holder of an AA Transportation Voucher to the value of GBP 129.00 (I am based in the UK).

I believe that it might be possible to buy an Airport Upgrade to First Class shortly before my flight, subject of course to availability...

So, a few questions arise:

Does anyone know if the voucher would be valid for this purpose ?
Do you think it would matter that it's denominated in British Pounds ?
Would I able to do this online or would I need to go to the AA (or AS ?) desk at MIA ?

Thanks in advance for your advice
Old Feb 8, 2016, 9:49 am

No, you can only do the <24 hour upgrades on AS with payment directly to AS, and they won't take an AA voucher.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 12:41 pm

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
Sorry, I should have been clearer.

My flight is not for a couple of weeks.

Also, I am travelling on an 001- ticket under an AA flight number. To quote the wiki at the top of this thread:

"Transportation vouchers issued by American Airlines or American Eagle are valid for travel on American Airlines, American Eagle and American Airlines codeshare flights (AA*).

Hence the question

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.