Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Consolidated) > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Merger)
Sign in using an external account

Hide Wikipost
Old Jun 15, 14, 9:54 am   -   Wikipost
FlyerTalk Forums Thread Wiki: Transportation Voucher / vouchers FAQ and master thread (consolidated)
Please read: this is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread.

Last edit by: JDiver
Wikipost instructions: signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost to update; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

The original information, provided by onetime member IceTrojan, has been placed here so members can edit and update as necessary.

How do vouchers work on AA?
They are treated just like cash towards valid purchases.
What can I use the vouchers on?
  • Airfare on American Airlines/Eagle/Connection, codeshares, and oneworld itineraries where AA is the international/"governing" carrier.
  • 500-mile domestic upgrade stickers (at the airport only).
  • Co-payments for upgrades or reduced mileage awards.
  • Excess baggage fees.
  • Special handling fees (e.g., checked pets), with a traveling passenger (i.e., not cargo).
  • Change fees, provided an additional collection of the fare is also being made.
There are special considerations if you are located in the following countries:
  • In the UK, Belgium, Germany and France, vouchers are accepted for Net fares.
  • In Switzerland, vouchers are accepted on Q and L class Net fares only.
  • In Ireland, vouchers are accepted in Q, O and L class Net fares only.
Can I use the vouchers for ANYTHING else?
No.
Really?
Yes, really.
Are there restrictions on purchasing airfare?
Unlike other airlines that place restrictions on certain fares/dates/times/routes, AA vouchers are just like cash, so you can use them to buy all fares that are available for purchase.
How long do I have to use the vouchers?
One (1) year from date of issuance.
What if I lose a voucher?
Sorry, you're out of luck. Treat your vouchers like cash.
Can I use the vouchers to buy tickets for someone else?
While vouchers are non-transferable, you may buy a ticket in someone else's name, so long as you are the one presenting the voucher (either by phone or personally at a ticket counter/office). If someone else presents the voucher, the ticket MUST be issued in the name of that on the voucher.
Is there a fee for using the vouchers?
As of April 2007, there appears to have been a policy change, so ticketing with vouchers by phone is no longer subject to the $20 fee.

It appears that ticketing at an airport ticket office is still subject to a charge of $30, unless you are EXP.

Note that if you are EXP, these "booking" fees are waived (and any AAgent that tells you otherwise is wrong). (thanks SquareDanceGuy)
What happens to the taxes?
This depends on the type of voucher. The following voucher codes are exempt from some of the taxes:
  • DI, DV (Voluntary Bump), BC, BD, CE, DB, DG, DV, IT, PS (Customer Service), CC, CI
Basically, if you use these vouchers to pay for the whole cost of your fare, you will lower the overall costs as some of the taxes do not apply. (thanks uncle wiggly) If you make a partial payment with vouchers, then the associated taxes will likewise be reduced by the same proportional amount. (thanks marshall)

OU is the only voucher taxable, as it's issued against the unused portion of a ticket that has been exchanged (amongst other things). (thanks hillrider)
What if the value of my vouchers exceed the value of my fare? Do I lose it? (thanks ffay005)
Unlike other airlines, you do NOT lose the residual value of your vouchers. If the residual value is more than $5, AA will mail you another voucher back as change, and this voucher is valid for one (1) year after its issuance. (thanks whynotfly)
How many vouchers can I use at one time?
According to the AAgent (who was very helpful), NINE (9) was the maximum number of vouchers accepted by her system.
I bought AA tickets from a 3rd party (e.g., travel agent, internet travel site, Priceline/Hotwire). Can I use the vouchers retroactively?
No.
How long does it take to process the vouchers?
After they receive the vouchers, AA will process them within 1-3 days, so it's really dependent on how long it takes the mail to arrive to Florida. It is recommended that if you need to ticket within 2 weeks that you go directly to an Airport Ticket Office, who can process your vouchers immediately.
How do I apply vouchers to a reservation I have on hold on AA.com?
1) Call Web Services at 1-800-222-2377 or 1-918-832-1384 (6:00 a.m. - 2:00 a.m. CT, 7 days a week). In the UK, call 08-45-601-0619, 8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. UK time, Monday-Friday.
2) Give them the PNR and tell them you would like to apply vouchers.
3) They will give you instructions on how to send the vouchers in.
4) Pay any balance with a credit card.
What's the address where I send my vouchers to?
New address for US pax as of Aug 2011 (be sure to confirm with AA):
American Airlines
6570 Caroline St. Suite B
Dept. 109
Milton, FL 32570-4778

Old address for US pax:
American Airlines
6671 Caroline St
Box 109
Milton, FL 32570-4781

See the wiki for addresses for pax outside the US.

On the envelope under the return address, write:
<Last Name>
<First Flight No>
<Date of first flight, in DD Mon format (e.g., 01 Jan)>

What if I entered a Business ExtrAA number?
You will have to contact Business ExtrAA to apply the vouchers. Their number is 1-800-433-1790, and they are available 5:00 a.m. - 12:00 midnight (CT) 7 days a week.
What if I live outside the United States and I want to use vouchers? (thanks ffay005)
For residents of the UK or Europe, the best bet would probably to call the UK Web Services desk (0845 601 0619, 8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. GMT, Monday-Friday). Otherwise, you can call your local reservations number (since you will likely have to pay the fee anyway), or visit your local Airport Ticket Office.

In all likelihood, you will be asked to mail your vouchers to Florida, so if time is of the essence you should consider going directly to an ATO, who can process it immediately.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MODERATOR'S NOTE

See also: Wiki: Vouchers

Print Wikipost

Old Jul 11, 06, 4:17 pm   #1
Suspended

Programs: Lowly EXP with a humble 1P-ness.
Transportation Voucher / vouchers FAQ and master thread (consolidated)

Just wanted to consolidate some of the info regarding the use of vouchers, as I just used mine to apply to a ticket I had on hold.

Many thanks to all those who contributed, including an anonymous source who filled in a lot of blanks. Corrections, comments, and suggestions are greatly appreciated

Last edited by JDiver; Jun 13, 13 at 6:56 am.. Reason: moved body to wikipost for member updating
IceTrojan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 06, 4:21 pm   #2

Thanks IceTrojan.

Very helpful.
wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 06, 4:51 pm   #3

Programs: AA GLD
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceTrojan
This first post will be constantly updated as I collect more info.
There's obviously some excellent info being shared on taxes when using vouchers here that I certainly wasn't aware of; perhaps you could update the "Is there a fee for using vouchers" section, or create a new "Taxes" section.

Thanks for consolidating all this for easy use of the SEARCH function.
Hopper39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 06, 4:51 pm   #4
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopper39
There's obviously some excellent info being shared on taxes when using vouchers here that I certainly wasn't aware of; perhaps you could update the "Is there a fee for using vouchers" section, or create a new "Taxes" section.

Thanks for consolidating all this for easy use of the SEARCH function.
Thanks! In fact, I'm reading that thread as we speak
Old Jul 11, 06, 4:53 pm   #5

Location: South Texas -- AA EXP 3MM, Hyatt Diamond, Avis President's Club
Nice work, IceTrojan!

Regarding the fee to use the vouchers, you might note that EXPs are exempt from those ticketing fees.

You might want to add there's an extra bonus if your voucher(s) completely pay for an entire ticket: you save some of the taxes.
SquareDanceGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 06, 5:03 pm   #6

Programs: AA PLT, AY, BA, SK, DL + hotels
This is a cool thread! I would like to add something (Q's, not A's) from a foreign point of view.

What's a OW fare? I can buy an AY ticket on AA.com. Can I use an AA voucher to pay for a ticket that only has AY flights? Or is a OW fare an RTW etc?

If I live in a European country other than the UK, can I book the ticket on AA.com and put it on hold, then call AA UK and send them the vouchers? (I recall the answer to this is yes).

If a part of the voucher is unused, what will happen with it? Say I got a voucher worth $300 but my flight costs $250. Will I get a new voucher for the remainig amount?
ffay005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 06, 5:23 pm   #7

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Goldpointsplus Gold, Avis First
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffay005
This is a cool thread! I would like to add something (Q's, not A's) from a foreign point of view.

What's a OW fare? I can buy an AY ticket on AA.com. Can I use an AA voucher to pay for a ticket that only has AY flights? Or is a OW fare an RTW etc?

If I live in a European country other than the UK, can I book the ticket on AA.com and put it on hold, then call AA UK and send them the vouchers? (I recall the answer to this is yes).

If a part of the voucher is unused, what will happen with it? Say I got a voucher worth $300 but my flight costs $250. Will I get a new voucher for the remainig amount?
Yes, you will get the difference between the fare and the value of the voucher. You will get $50.00 back in the form of a voucher and it will be good for one year from the date of the new transaction.
whynotfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 06, 5:24 pm   #8

Awesome work, IceTrojan! Perhaps you should add a copy of this to the AA section of the FT Wiki over at http://www.flyertalk.com/wiki/index....rican_Airlines
rbessler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 06, 5:41 pm   #9
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbessler
Awesome work, IceTrojan! Perhaps you should add a copy of this to the AA section of the FT Wiki over at http://www.flyertalk.com/wiki/index....rican_Airlines
Good thinking! I forgot about that thing.

Updates coming shortly... I'm busy catching up on the UA fare sale thread
Old Jul 12, 06, 1:30 am   #10
Suspended

First post has been updated....minus a couple small clarifications, I believe this FAQ is just about done.
Old Jul 12, 06, 4:53 am   #11
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2M, MR & SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat Avis Pref
Great work fellow Trojan

How about making this a sticky (mods???)
Old Jul 12, 06, 8:04 am   #12
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, Hilton Diamond
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
How about making this a sticky (mods???)
I'll second the motion.
gemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 06, 8:32 am   #13

Programs: MR & AA LTP, UA Silver
Quote:
Can I use the vouchers to buy tickets for someone else?
While vouchers are non-transferable, you may buy a ticket in someone else's name, so long as you are the one presenting the voucher. If someone else presents the voucher, the ticket MUST be issued in the name of that on the voucher. (Clarification being sought as to what "presenting" means).
I was told a year and half ago that an initial voucher (this one was electronic from a cancelled NR ticket) must be used for the person named on the voucher. Then, when used if there is a residual amount remaining, another voucher is issued that can be used by anybody. Now, the guidelilnes you outlined above may need to be followed in this case. I don't know since the voucher was used in whole by the named party, so I never actually tried exercising this option. Perhaps others have information or real life experience regarding what I was told by the AAgent.

Also, for cancelled ticket vouchers, I question whether you can use it to buy a ticket for someone else. According to what the AAgent told me in the case outlined above, that would not be allowed.
aaupgrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 06, 9:07 am   #14
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 4MM; AGR Select+
Quote:
One (1) year from date of issuance.
Quote:
If the residual value is more than $5, AA will mail you another voucher back as change, and this voucher is valid for one (1) year after its issuance.
Quote:
According to the AAgent (who was very helpful), NINE (9) was the maximum number of vouchers accepted by her system.
This is a very helpful thread, IceT, so let me take it completely OT . . .

What's the deal with spelling out numbers and then putting the arabic numeral in parentheses?

I suspect the origins of this practice derives from when legal documents were typewritten (i.e., on typewriters, not computers) or typeset, and anal lawyers wanted to avoid the risk of typographical errors leading to misunderstandings. But now that we're solidly into the 21st century, I think we can safely abandon this practice. I don't think any of us -- particularly us really smart FTers -- are going to be confused if you write "one" or "1" and not both. And if you accidentally type "2" when you meant to type "1" you can use FTs nifty edit function to fix it (and it's not like typing "one (2)" would have solved the problem; you'd still have to go back and edit your mistake).

In my profession, I find that this practice is perpetuated by (1) very junior lawyers who think it gives their documents an air of professionalism or (2) more senior but very dumb lawyers who follow this and other pretentious practices like always putting "esq." at the end of their names.

Did I take us OT to address some silly pet peeve? Sorry!
Blumie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 06, 9:18 am   #15
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemac
I'll second the motion.
if we do, though, I'd suggest it be reduced to a single-post locked sticky to prevent it's becoming unweildy ala the stickies we have. I would imagine it won't need much updating, and this could be handled in a way that keeps the sticky useful and accessible...excellent work

Cheers.