Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Redeeming Miles for Awards on Malaysia Airlines / MH (Master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 1, 2013, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Awards book into P (First Class), U (Business Class) and X (Economy Class). Awards do not incur "YQ" fees; MH now seems to be releasing F award seats to AA (post #173).

Link to Malaysia Airlines website

Link to archived announcement of MH to join oneworld FT thread.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2011, 6:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP

Malaysia Airlines will join the oneWorld alliance.

An announcement is expected shortly from Singapore.

http://www.ausbt.com.au/malaysia-air...n=home-flipper.

A little background on MAS:
*Hubbed in Kuala Lumpur.
*One of few airlines to serve all six inhabited continents.
*Operates a fleet of 90 aircraft; with 50 orders and 30 options, including six A380s.
*U.S. service to Los Angeles via Taipei.
*European service includes Amsterdam, Frankfurt, London Heathrow, Paris and Rome.
*One of few airlines rated 5-star by Skytrax.

Last edited by JDiver; Oct 27, 2014 at 4:35 pm Reason: strike out items no longer accurate
Old Jun 5, 2011, 6:50 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis

A hearty "terima kasih banyak-banyak" for an early sharing of the news, MAH4546!

Check out their interactive route map here.

MH Enrich Silver tier is oneworld Ruby (AA Gold); Enrich Gold to oneworld Sapphire (AA Platinum); and Enrich Platinum to oneworld Emerald (AA Exdecutive Platinum).

link to new A380 interior photos

Boeing 747 First Class pod

777 Business Class

A380 Business Class

Note infants to 2 years old are not allowed in 747 and A380 First; infants and children to age 12 are not allowed on the A380 upper deck.

LAX-KUL and onward... very nice!

Last edited by JDiver; Jul 25, 2013 at 3:27 pm Reason: update for new thread
Old Feb 1, 2013, 5:17 am

Malaysian now in oneworld 1 Feb 2013 - awards, miles earning, etc. (consolidated)

MH not showing on AA searches yet? I'm wondering what tax differences are on a FRA-KUL one way with AA vs BA.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 6:45 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by mathman88
I should add that this was on the KUL-LHR route, so maybe they are going the way of SQ and the A380. I will check other routes.
I have no problems finding J award space on LHR-KUL on MH using the BA site. For instance, LHR-KUL in mid-August. I did find that if you search for F, it spits back Y. However, if you search specifically for J, it will show the space.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 6:56 am

Programs: STARS/LUMINOUS, PRIVE, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club
When is AA posting the accrual chart? MH has been a OneWorld member for over 12 hours now.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 7:36 am

Location: London, UK. AA EXP 5MM; Hyatt Diamond, SPG Ambassador Lifetime Platinum, Hertz PC
Just booked Business Class

Hi All;

Just booked J as AAdvantage claim that F is not available for mileage use.

Is this correct, or does anyone have conflicting information.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by Noctilux
Hi All;

Same here. Agents are only able to book Biz and Coach to CDG and LHR, no First yet (doesn't come up as an option and they claim it's 2-cabin ). I'm thinking this might be programming issue? I'm giving it a few days.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by Angeleno228
Same here. Agents are only able to book Biz and Coach to CDG and LHR, no First yet (doesn't come up as an option and they claim it's 2-cabin ). I'm thinking this might be programming issue? I'm giving it a few days.
I think it has to do with Amadeus again. When CX switched over to Amadeus, AA members couldn't even book with them for about 2 weeks! So I think the same is happening with MH.

Originally Posted by Noctilux
Hi All;

What I'd like to know is what you paid in total taxes...?

Is MH charging YQ with AAdvantage ?
Old Feb 1, 2013, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy

Yes looks like AA is not charging YQ:

KUL BLR $21.30
LAX KUL $30.50
LAX NRT $2.50
LHR KUL $198.50

All the above are for Y class. On the BLR route I still might take BA as they charge $143 and 10k miles as opposed to 22.5K miles AA wants. On the other routes AA is a clear winner.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 11:01 am

Location: London, UK. AA EXP 5MM; Hyatt Diamond, SPG Ambassador Lifetime Platinum, Hertz PC
From the 'Horse's Mouth'

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
I think it has to do with Amadeus again. When CX switched over to Amadeus, AA members couldn't even book with them for about 2 weeks! So I think the same is happening with MH.

Hi GB

Not an Amadeus thing, it is an MH thing; I spoke directly to MH and they confirmed that the F seats are not available for mileage.

Flying J from LHR/KUL I paid $480 in taxes.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 11:05 am

Programs: UA, AA, BMI, MR, HH, PC
Originally Posted by UA Fan
Yes looks like AA is not charging YQ:

KUL BLR $21.30
LAX KUL $30.50
LAX NRT $2.50
LHR KUL $198.50

All the above are for Y class. On the BLR route I still might take BA as they charge $143 and 10k miles as opposed to 22.5K miles AA wants. On the other routes AA is a clear winner.
I just did a ow KUL-LHR-GLA J redemption. Tax and fees totalled US$110.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zakami
When is AA posting the accrual chart? MH has been a OneWorld member for over 12 hours now.
The lack of attention and detail of AA.com never cease to amaze me. It's been over a full day since the first oneworld MH flight left KUL, the one highlighted in the press release co-signed by AA!!

However, from the promo I notice that it extends only to Economy Class fares booked in Y, B, H, K, M, L, V, or S -- so I imply that not all bookings earn miles (e.g. fares booked in Q, O).

Old Feb 1, 2013, 11:46 am

Programs: BA Silver | AA LT Gold | EY Silver | Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by hillrider
The lack of attention and detail of AA.com never cease to amaze me. It's been over a full day since the first oneworld MH flight left KUL, the one highlighted in the press release co-signed by AA!!

However, from the promo I notice that it extends only to Economy Class fares booked in Y, B, H, K, M, L, V, or S -- so I imply that not all bookings earn miles (e.g. fares booked in Q, O).

That being said, the promo doesn't include discounted business Z, which you can be almost 100% sure will be a regular earning class on AA (it is on BA). Probably a good assumption is that the BAEC earning chart is a baseline, and AAdvantage earnings will be the same or likely better (which is still not saying much).
Old Feb 1, 2013, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Hyperacusis
That being said, the promo doesn't include discounted business Z, which you can be almost 100% sure will be a regular earning class on AA (it is on BA).
Good point.

Those Z fares are actually pretty good, but it looks like the integration isn't quite done yet: look at this SFO-KUL routing:

1. SFO-UA-LAX-TYO-KUL

Yep, SFO-LAX must be on UA and therefore cannot be on AA!!! This is definitely one of those are you kidding??

Lots and lots of attention to detail missing on this "integration". Doesn't look good if the AA/US merger takes place.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by MAH4546
Malaysia Airlines will join the oneWorld alliance.

An announcement is expected shortly from Singapore.

http://www.ausbt.com.au/malaysia-air...n=home-flipper.

A little background on MAS:
*Hubbed in Kuala Lumpur.
*One of few airlines to serve all six inhabited continents.
*Operates a fleet of 90 aircraft; with 50 orders and 30 options, including six A380s.
*U.S. service to Los Angeles via Taipei.
*European service includes Amsterdam, Frankfurt, London Heathrow, Paris and Rome.
*One of few airlines rated 5-star by Skytrax.
I think MH has stopped service to CAI, JNB, CPT and EZE

Also the flight to LAX is through NRT I think.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.