Wiki Posts
Search

USAToday = 1,500 miles

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2006, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by mellowg
Well, first of all they signed me up for EZPay (which I initially selected that I didn't want), so my 1-month gift subscriptions are being renewed and my credit card charged! Additionally, they want to cancel my accounts. So, basically it's a big mess.

A copy of the original T&C would be helpful...
Anyone can edit a file to look like the original T&C's
However, it means nothing unless the company admit's these are the T & Cs

My paper has now come daily (except weekends) by mail since I shifted it back to my home address. So I am 4/4 since talking to customer service.

Last edited by mvoight; Jun 14, 2006 at 2:11 am
Old Jun 14, 2006, 7:21 am

Programs: AA PLT (2MM+); Steerage in most other airline programs; SPG GLD; heckuva guy
Originally Posted by mellowg
Does anybody have the original T&C before they were changed by USA Today (a change which they are now denying )
I am in the same boat at the moment. I printed out the webpages, which clearly show none of the new terms and conditions which were added at a later date.

They have been denying that the T&C's changed, but that is a red herring in my opinion, since any change would have been documented internally at USA Today, either via email or in backup files (showing the old T&C's). You can almost be assured that there exists a record of someone frantically acknowledging that they did not have any T&C's on the original offer.

The point of contact that we've all been dealing with, the AA relationship manager, doesn't seem to get it that just because she says there were T&C's, doesn't make it so. (The fact that the new, restrictive T&C's were added after the fact only bolsters our position in my opinion.) I accepted an offer that was not restricted in any way (including, I might add, with respect to status level in Aadvantage). Consideration was exchanged and accepted. There is a binding contract, which I expect to be fully honored. Now the AA relationship manager is trying to CYA the situation and keep her job. I, for one, expect USAT to honor their side of the bargain in full.

Goph

ps--the confirmation emails we received also did not contain any T&C limitations. As for multiple signups, the USAT site explicitly permitted and actively solicited giving gift subscriptions under the SAME OFFER of 1,500 miles per signup, with no requirement to extend the subscription beyond the first 4 week period.
Old Jun 14, 2006, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by mvoight
Anyone can edit a file to look like the original T&C's
However, it means nothing unless the company admit's these are the T & Cs

My paper has now come daily (except weekends) by mail since I shifted it back to my home address. So I am 4/4 since talking to customer service.
Well, in case they don't refund the subscription renewals (because they enrolled me in EZPay without my knowledge), a copy of the original T&C would be great leverage when I call my credit card company.
Old Jun 14, 2006, 11:28 am

Like others, I selected "no" to automatic renewal by EZPay when I signed up. My subscription began on May 19. My credit card was charged for a renewal yesterday. I called and, like others, was told that automatic renewal by EZPay was a condition of the offer. I received an apology for having been able to select "no" at the time of sign-up but was told that the customer service representative could not do anything about the problem. I therefore cancelled my subscription, effective tomorrow, and was told what amount will be refunded to my credit card. The AAdvantage miles posted to my account earlier this month. So long as my credit card is refunded the appropriate amount and the miles are not taken away, all will be well.
Old Jun 14, 2006, 1:18 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, OW Sapphire, QF Bronze, Marriott Silver, Starwood Gold; National Emerald
It took a while before their system would allow me to look up my account online, but when I did, it had correctly marked "no" for EZ-pay auto-renewal.

However, with all the complaints about their automatically signing people up to EZ-pay, I checked my unbilled activity on the credit card, and yes indeed, the sneaky schmoes changed it and snuck in a payment.

Just got off the phone with USAToday Customer Service, talking with a nice guy about the World Cup Soccer Matches a bit (he didn't see the end of the Saudi Arabia vs. Tunisia match, so I was able to inform him that Tunisia tied it up just before the game finished), and he is refunding the payment and cancelling the EZ-pay.

Tried to get me to tell him my AAdvantage FF #, but I was like "what do you need that for, for cancelling the subscription? I'm not paying to renew, so just don't send me the 100 miles for renewing. I continued to chat about stuff, and he didn't press the point. (I think he was making a half-hearted effort for them to try to pull the 1500 miles already sent to me--not happening).

I also pointed out that their website with the offer wasn't read carefully, as the note added to limit the miles to 2700/year failed to note that the banner headline of their page is about earning up to 2800 miles in a year-- oops
Old Jun 14, 2006, 3:17 pm

Programs: AA Exp
aa.com shows 1000 miles plus 100 per month (only with renewal). Total of 2200 per AA account per year. The USA Today page (linked from aa.com) shows the same info.

Where do you guys still see 1500?
Old Jun 14, 2006, 7:15 pm

See Post #50 -May 19

WE KNEW I WAS GOING TO HAPPEN/WHY BE SURPRISED.MY RESPONSE SENT TO USA TODAY. You have taken it upon yourselves to renew this subscription (#xxxxxxxxx)without my authorization.I do not expect to see my credit card charged for an extension as my only commitment was to subscribe for initial start date,May,18,2006 expiration June,19,2006 and did not signup for EZ-PAY plan.In checking my account it appears the current expiration date August,1,2006 has been substituted.If I am charged my credit card issurer will be instructed to decline/refuse payment.I printed out the subscribe form and checked off "PLEASE CHARGE MY CREDIT CARD FOR THIS SUBSCRIPTION TERM ONLY" We are aware you made changes to your terms after the fact and many other participants of this so called promotion will also undoubtedly bring this to your attention.We always find it necessary to make a record of these types of pathetically constructed promotions as your marketing department is not alone in engaging in a sneeky and unethical business practice.You should also know you lost a possible extension of this subscription for trying to pull a fast one.Acknowledgement of this expression is requested.
Old Jun 14, 2006, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by Getiton
WE KNEW I WAS GOING TO HAPPEN/WHY BE SURPRISED.MY RESPONSE SENT TO USA .
Perhaps you contact with them should include the words "Class Action"

I went to check my account to check out the expiration day since my account was messed up. Online is shows "Yes" for EZ-Pay.

When I signed up, I specifically indicated I didn't want EZ-Pay.
Now the guy on the phone says EZ Pay is required for the rate I got and he wants to increase the rate. I canceled.
Old Jun 15, 2006, 5:21 am

Check your CC statements. I specifically did not sign up for the easypay and got a lot of flack when I called USA Today. I cancelled. Then I saw that they had already charged my CC a second time - 10 days before the 4 weeks were due to expire. I called my CC company and they removed the charge as being unauthorized.
Old Jun 15, 2006, 6:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
Originally Posted by steve32
It took a while before their system would allow me to look up my account online, but when I did, it had correctly marked "no" for EZ-pay auto-renewal.
Where do you go to get to your account online?
Old Jun 15, 2006, 7:39 am

Originally Posted by msrohud
Check your CC statements. I specifically did not sign up for the easypay and got a lot of flack when I called USA Today. I cancelled. Then I saw that they had already charged my CC a second time - 10 days before the 4 weeks were due to expire. I called my CC company and they removed the charge as being unauthorized.
Citibank has received so many calls to deny this charge they have the USATODAY phone number,asking that they be called first.I did request my account be noted this unauthorized charge.My cancellation went without flack but I was ready.
Old Jun 15, 2006, 8:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
Citibank has received so many calls to deny this charge they have the USATODAY phone number,asking that they be called first.I did request my account be noted this unauthorized charge.My cancellation went without flack but I was ready.
Checked by C.C. card today and noticed the additioanl charge... called USAToday to cancel and they were getting ready to say the E/Z pay was part of it... I told them noooooo.... it wasn't, I didn't sign up for it and to cancel my subscription... she said O.K. and would credit my account for $18.00.
Almost painless...
Old Jun 16, 2006, 5:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by pkerr
Checked by C.C. card today and noticed the additioanl charge... called USAToday to cancel and they were getting ready to say the E/Z pay was part of it... I told them noooooo.... it wasn't, I didn't sign up for it and to cancel my subscription... she said O.K. and would credit my account for $18.00.
Almost painless...
Same exact thing happened to me. I just noticed they charged me even though I had not signed up for EZPay. Called them, hit 0 to talk to an account representative, and it was cancelled in 5 minutes. She also noted that it would be an $18 credit back. I already got the 1500 miles so this worked out quite well since my total charge will be under $8. ^
Old Jun 16, 2006, 5:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by pkerr
Where do you go to get to your account online?
www.usatodayservice.com
Old Jun 17, 2006, 10:24 am
In memoriam

Programs: AA 1.8 MM, DL, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold,
Thumbs down

Same problem here as well. I was switched to EZ-Pay without my permission. I will call and cancel. What kind of business are they running? Very poor IMHO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.