Re-route compensation?

Old Dec 8, 2005, 2:24 pm
Original Poster

Location: SYD, YYZ, Southwest UK, a beach somewhere in the world
Programs: AC Prestige, BA Gold, SPG Platinum
Re-route compensation?

Scheduled to fly DCA-LGA-YYZ today. first flight had mechanical problems, and they re-routed me DCA-ORD-YYZ. The new flight gets in 2.5 hours later than the original booking. Am I entitled to any compensation due to the re-routing? Surly check-in staff actually lied and said it was weather-related, but the gate staff said it clearly showed in their system as a mechanical problem.
Old Dec 8, 2005, 2:32 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
No. They agree to get you from your origin to your destination, and they did. If you do a search here about compensation, delays, etc. (hint), you will find this question answered a number of times, and pretty much this way 90% of the time.

Cheers.
Old Dec 8, 2005, 2:34 pm
Suspended

Schedules, like life, are not guaranteed.
Old Dec 8, 2005, 4:51 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
2 1/2 hours (later than the plan) is pretty routine with LGA connections so going via ORD means you experienced the same thing.
Old Dec 8, 2005, 4:53 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, AC *S, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by ACN Consultant
Scheduled to fly DCA-LGA-YYZ today. first flight had mechanical problems, and they re-routed me DCA-ORD-YYZ. The new flight gets in 2.5 hours later than the original booking. Am I entitled to any compensation due to the re-routing? Surly check-in staff actually lied and said it was weather-related, but the gate staff said it clearly showed in their system as a mechanical problem.
I believe that the delay needs to be much longer to get compensation. The reroute itself doesn't get you anything

Cheers
Old Dec 8, 2005, 4:59 pm

Programs: AA 2MM PLT, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver, Hilton Gold
Contacting Customer Relations can never hurt.
Old Dec 8, 2005, 5:15 pm

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
The only compensation required by government rules is for Involuntary Denied Boarding. In case of a delay of any length (or cancellation), you are at the mercy of the airline. Here is a page from the DOT site that goes into a bit more detail.
Old Dec 8, 2005, 5:19 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by DFWFlyer2
Personally, I think it can -- assuming one is going to be flying AA on a regular basis.
Old Dec 8, 2005, 5:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Surly check-in staff actually lied and said it was weather-related, but the gate staff said it clearly showed in their system as a mechanical problem.
It's quite possible that the check-in staff did not know it was a mechanical problem and that the gate staff simply had more info at their disposal. But whether they were truthful or not, as others have stated, you are not entitled to compensation for the reroute. Neither the route nor the schedule are guaranteed. (Nor is the seat assignment, but that's another thread.)
Old Dec 8, 2005, 7:32 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by DFWFlyer2
But it sure can be overdone.
Old Dec 8, 2005, 7:39 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Getting laughed at by Customer Service doesn't hurt either. Go for it.
Old Dec 8, 2005, 8:18 pm

Izzik no one would ever laugh at you. Oh yah another compensation thread. Now that makes the season bright.
Old Dec 8, 2005, 8:27 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by JonNYC
Personally, I think it can -- assuming one is going to be flying AA on a regular basis.
I have to agree with Jon here. I'm very careful when I complain, as I assume AA tracks these and keeps book on us. I've also written a number of complimentary letters when I've received excellent service. I wouldn't bother, myself, with a 2.5 hour delay, and instead hold out for the day you really do need to complain about something that impacts your flying more seriously.
Old Dec 8, 2005, 8:51 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by umguy
Izzik no one would ever laugh at you. Oh yah another compensation thread. Now that makes the season bright.
thank goodness. you know i'm a delicate person.
Old Dec 9, 2005, 8:09 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriot Platinum
If you are going to write in and complain and I am not sure compensation is the right angle here, but the only real argument I see you having is that the check-in agent "lied" or did not know at the time the real issue with the plane. However, I think AA tried its best to get you where you were going by rerouting you. I guess consider it luck it was mechanical rather than weather as you might have not even been rerouted so quickly.

Yes you got in 2.5 hours lates, but there have been times when people have had to spend a night at the airport or nearby hotel because of mechanical issues (given the airline usually comps a meal and hotel). At least you got to where you were going on the same day. Maybe if you did write in you would get some mielage credit or something minor like that. But I do not think this is worth writing into unless you are really upset the check-in agent lied and it has destroyed all the trust you had in AA.

A two prong approach to your letter could also work. Compliment the GA who rerouted you. But also say you were frustrated at first learning it was weather. But like I said you are dealing with an issue of maybe the first person was just misinformed. But however you go about it, it is your choice you are the customer.

And if there is a file on you with your letters of complaint, so be it. The airline won't stop taking your money. But like some others have alluded to, it might hurt you later on when something happens that infuriates you... and before you all can respond with quotes around my comment... (mean like when you get your seat moved to the back and then you write an angry rant - YES like that )

Good luck

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.