Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Consolidated) > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Merger)
Sign in using an external account

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Dec 5, 05, 8:26 pm   #1
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Cambridge, MA
Programs: AA EXP, Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, UA1K
Posts: 199
"Business" class service to Caribbean?

I am booked in Y MIA-SXM on 12/14 and am debating using 3 stickers to upgrade. I notice it is listed as "business." As AA treats SXM as 'domestic' for sticker purposes, should I assume that the J class service is about the same as USA domestic (ie meal, etc.). Also, does anyone know whether or not SJU-JFK A300 flights have the new F cabin seats? Thanks!
uncguy85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 05, 8:34 pm   #2
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: SoCal
Programs: AA PLT, SPG Platinum
Posts: 3,465
If you don't have an exit row, then it's worth it. They don't call the 757 the "slave ship" for nothing. Also, of possible interest, going via SJU, if you aren't already. If you do this, you can redeam two stickers MIA-SJU, and not upgrade for the 200 mi flight SJU-SXM. The MIA-SJU is 1045 mi, which means it falls under that 50 mi where they won't make you burn another sticker.
Fly AA J all the way is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 05, 8:36 pm   #3
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: BOS
Programs: BA Gold, DL Gold
Posts: 452
Its hard to know whether you will be on an AB6 with the new seats ,there is no way of knowing until you board the a/c. I have only flown BOS-SJU in J and not in Y but the Y PAX had a warm meal last time I flew (April 2005). Service is the same as domestic in J and the only difference is that Y has warm food. If it makes any difference to you, BOS-SJU and I guess JFK-SJU are staffed with International Crews, I think (slugo will know more about this than me).

Matt
MGW2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 05, 8:43 pm   #4
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Cambridge, MA
Programs: AA EXP, Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, UA1K
Posts: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly AA J all the way
Also, of possible interest, going via SJU, if you aren't already. If you do this, you can redeam two stickers MIA-SJU, and not upgrade for the 200 mi flight SJU-SXM. The MIA-SJU is 1045 mi, which means it falls under that 50 mi where they won't make you burn another sticker.
Unfortunately wasn't thinking about that when I booked the trip. Have a 3.5 hour layover in SJU on the way back (SXM-SJU-JFK-RDU). Just purchased AC membership, is SJU's club alright?
uncguy85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 05, 8:49 pm   #5
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: SoCal
Programs: AA PLT, SPG Platinum
Posts: 3,465
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncguy85
Unfortunately wasn't thinking about that when I booked the trip. Have a 3.5 hour layover in SJU on the way back (SXM-SJU-JFK-RDU). Just purchased AC membership, is SJU's club alright?

No idea about the AC, never been. I would, however, say that it is worth $75 not to sit in Y for 3.5hrs, regardless. However, if you had to choose only one leg to upgrade, I'd say make it the return, as it is a longer flight (though it will cost you four certs). And, it never hurts to ask if they will re-route you via SJU on the outbound. Probably won't happen, but you never know. Although, only do it if they can confirm seats for the entire thing.
Fly AA J all the way is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 05, 8:50 pm   #6
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: BOS
Programs: BA Gold, DL Gold
Posts: 452
The AC in SJU is nice (better than the old part of the AC here in BOS). It has nice big windows. Also, the computers and work area on the top floor are always almost empty. The airport itself isnt very nice, especially the eagle gates (gate 1 i think).

Matt

P.S. Have a nice time in SXM, I'll be right next door to you in AXA over christmas (16-24 of dec.)!
MGW2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 05, 8:54 pm   #7
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Cambridge, MA
Programs: AA EXP, Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, UA1K
Posts: 199
I used to actively avoid flying through SJU until I realized last Spring that I could load up on booze for very cheap and since already in US there is no limit! Being in college that is a great thing. Now that I've got the AC I can enjoy the best of both. Can anyone comment on whether service is any better on these flights since they are somewhat intl? A lot of threads lately about poor F service (egg salad wraps, gross).
uncguy85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 05, 8:58 pm   #8
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: SoCal
Programs: AA PLT, SPG Platinum
Posts: 3,465
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncguy85
I used to actively avoid flying through SJU until I realized last Spring that I could load up on booze for very cheap and since already in US there is no limit! Being in college that is a great thing. Now that I've got the AC I can enjoy the best of both. Can anyone comment on whether service is any better on these flights since they are somewhat intl? A lot of threads lately about poor F service (egg salad wraps, gross).

The only thing I can comment on is the planes themselves. I have taken the AB6 and 757 to MIA, and I think that the experience on the AB6 is much nicer. I was in F both times. The dual aisles make the entire plane feel more spacious, and the fact that there are only three rows of F gives the cabin a somewhat private, secluded feeling. It also makes boarding and deplaning easier. I think they also utilize 2L more on the AB, meaning you don't always have all of Y walking past you, bumping you on their way back. The service was about the same, the only difference being that on the AB it's 1 FA for up to 16pax, whereas on the 57, it's 1 FA for up to 22pax.
Fly AA J all the way is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 05, 10:36 pm   #9
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Programs: AA EXP 2.1MM, SPG Gold
Posts: 452
If only there were a way to figure out which ScareBusses have the "new" F seats. When the interior isn't falling apart (off topic, had a major roach issue on a flight from LIM-MIA-JFK) the experience can be nice. I'll take the Airbus over the 757 any day, although I haven't ridden in the back of one for about 10 years.

I'll be doing JFK-MIA-SJO on 12/15 (2171 A300)
and LIR-MIA-LGA on 12/21 (2130/2068 738/757)

Hopefully all up front.

If there is ever a place to not sit in the back, it would be flights to SJU...well, not quite as bad as SDQ
platboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 05, 10:42 pm   #10
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: SoCal
Programs: AA PLT, SPG Platinum
Posts: 3,465
Quote:
Originally Posted by platboy
If only there were a way to figure out which ScareBusses have the "new" F seats. When the interior isn't falling apart (off topic, had a major roach issue on a flight from LIM-MIA-JFK) the experience can be nice. I'll take the Airbus over the 757 any day, although I haven't ridden in the back of one for about 10 years.

I'll be doing JFK-MIA-SJO on 12/15 (2171 A300)
and LIR-MIA-LGA on 12/21 (2130/2068 738/757)

Hopefully all up front.

If there is ever a place to not sit in the back, it would be flights to SJU...well, not quite as bad as SDQ

Even with the old seats, there is no way the AB can be worse than the '57. It may be a swaying point for some trying to decide whether to use stickers, but as far as the experience, the AB still wins.
Fly AA J all the way is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 05, 10:46 pm   #11
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: PIT/MEL; AA Exec. Platinum & 4MM, QF WP
Posts: 7,662
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncguy85
Unfortunately wasn't thinking about that when I booked the trip. Have a 3.5 hour layover in SJU on the way back (SXM-SJU-JFK-RDU). Just purchased AC membership, is SJU's club alright?
The SJU club is really quite fine. especially the Kiddie-free zone upstairs.

Not only that, it's *relatively* even more fine compared to the teeming uncomfortable zoo outside.
martin33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 05, 3:22 am   #12
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: San Juan, PR, USA
Programs: AA PLT 1MM, Starwood Preferred, Hilton Gold VIP
Posts: 306
The SJU club is pretty nice. It only gets crowded before big travel weekends, and even then the second floor is almost always empty. The bartenders are always very nice. The SJU-JFK-SJU route is not quite fun in Coach. However, the rest of the routes are fine (MCO-SJU is, obviously, chock full of families and crying babies).

I think the A300s that have the new seats are the ones that were three class aircraft before. I have done about 8 SJU-JFK legs this year and only one had the new seats in F. I used to ride SJU-JFK on a flight operated with a 3 class A300 in F, ahh.. the old wooly mamooth seats were nice. The 3pm flight from SJU-JFK is operated with a 763, which makes for much much better Business class seats.

There are warm meals on all SJU-mainland flight in Y, except on flights to/from Florida (TPA, MIA, MCO, FLL). The Florida flights only have food in J. I have only seen the egg salad ex-SJU on late night snack flights, there's always an (ok) hot meal in J and Y most of the day. The service is usually done by international New York-based crews since they closed the SJU flight attendant base a few years ago.

Cheap booze is perhaps one of the best reasons to flight thru SJU. We're talking about $21 liters of JW Black, $6 Smirnoff bottles, and every rum imaginable (and high quality) for less than $10. I usually buy a few bottles when traveling to the mainland.
BlassSJU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 05, 10:57 am   #13
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Cambridge, MA
Programs: AA EXP, Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, UA1K
Posts: 199
I originally picked my leg SJU-JFK specifically for the 763 but they changed it to the A300, talk about a let down!
uncguy85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 05, 12:14 pm   #14
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: LAX; AA EXP, MM; HH Gold
Posts: 29,793
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncguy85
I originally picked my leg SJU-JFK specifically for the 763 but they changed it to the A300, talk about a let down!
Amen to that!

When AA installs the new lie-flat-at-an-angle 763 business class seats next year, it's gonna have a surplus of old reclining J seats that would fit the A300; I've got my fingers crossed that AA sees some value in swapping those old A300 F (J) seats out for some old 763 J seats. That would make the A300 tolerable for long flights (like overnights to/from Lima) and enjoyable for fligts to SJU, JFK, MEX and others.

But no way it ever happens. Have to jetison a few coach seats (those ahead of the 2L door).
FWAAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 05, 1:07 pm   #15
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Arlington, VA
Programs: UA 1K
Posts: 1,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by FWAAA
Amen to that!

When AA installs the new lie-flat-at-an-angle 763 business class seats next year, it's gonna have a surplus of old reclining J seats that would fit the A300; I've got my fingers crossed that AA sees some value in swapping those old A300 F (J) seats out for some old 763 J seats. That would make the A300 tolerable for long flights (like overnights to/from Lima) and enjoyable for fligts to SJU, JFK, MEX and others.

But no way it ever happens. Have to jetison a few coach seats (those ahead of the 2L door).
Putting the former 767 J seats into the A300's would result in some pretty wide aisles as the 767 seats are quite narrower than the the A300 seats. The 767's interior cabin diameter is 184", while the A300's is 220" -- The airbus is 29" wider. Adding almost 15" to each aisle would be a bit much, IMO.

Also, unless with the J/F pitch on the A300, the 767 seats would need to have their recline and footrests substantially restricted as well.
chrisw is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 5:01 pm.