Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Cancelling Citi AA AAdvantage Card / Retention Bonus (consolidated)

Old May 23, 2005, 3:04 pm
Original Poster

I have a Citi Card MC AAdvantage card that expires in June. I am a Diners Club member and will receive a MC card in June. I can't cancel Diners Club becuase I have too many miles in their Rewards Program and I am not ready to move or use them. The only way I will keep the Citit Card is if they offer me a deal I can't refuse when I call them to cancel. What has been your experience with this situation? Frankly, I will probably cancel because I can apply again in 6 mos and get at least 15K miles. AND, at my age, I couldn't care less about future credit rating issues.
Old May 23, 2005, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Try this forum.
Old May 23, 2005, 8:41 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP (5.8MM Airpass) Delta Gold Medallion Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by jackp
I have a Citi Card MC AAdvantage card that expires in June. I am a Diners Club member and will receive a MC card in June. I can't cancel Diners Club becuase I have too many miles in their Rewards Program and I am not ready to move or use them. The only way I will keep the Citit Card is if they offer me a deal I can't refuse when I call them to cancel. What has been your experience with this situation? Frankly, I will probably cancel because I can apply again in 6 mos and get at least 15K miles. AND, at my age, I couldn't care less about future credit rating issues.

I cancelled mine several years ago and despite spending about 10,000 per month, they said good luck. (no waived fees). I came back about 6 months ago as I grew weary of another cards' policies. If you come back, no bonus miles on the same social security #. I will say this about Citi, they waive late fees for good customers and always do their best to work out disputed charges... sometimes eating the amount themselves on nominal disputes.
Old May 23, 2005, 10:46 pm

Programs: AA Plat 1MM, IC RA, HH Gold
Originally Posted by AA53
IIf you come back, no bonus miles on the same social security #.
I signed up for a card for 6 months about a year ago, got my 12,500 bonus miles + $25 voucher, charged everything under the sun then cancelled. A year later I'm doing the same thing, got another 12,500 bonus miles + $25 voucher and plan to cancel in June. They did try to get me to pay the annual fee up front but I persisted and eventually they did not collect it. YMMV.
Old May 24, 2005, 10:19 am

Programs: UA, AA Gold, Delta, HHonors Diamond, Marriott, Starwood
I called to cancel my card about a year ago and they offered me 2k or 3k to keep the card for a while and think about it. The miles posted about a month later. I don't know if they're still offering this when you call to cancel.
Old May 24, 2005, 10:23 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by AA53
I will say this about Citi, they waive late fees for good customers and always do their best to work out disputed charges... sometimes eating the amount themselves on nominal disputes.
They also charge 3% on foreign transactions- the highest rate I know of.

Cheers.
Old May 24, 2005, 11:18 am

Programs: AA Gold, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, AVIS Preferred, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by sadeghi
I called to cancel my card about a year ago and they offered me 2k or 3k to keep the card for a while and think about it. The miles posted about a month later. I don't know if they're still offering this when you call to cancel.

They offered me 7,500 miles or a 9% rate (I have the Platinum card). I opted for the miles but have yet to see them in my account.
Old May 24, 2005, 12:23 pm

Programs: AA Plat
I cancelled in the past year, and they offered an amount of miles that I can't recall. Within 6 months of the cancellation, I got a mailing with a 20K bonus offer for signing-up. I couldn't believe that I would get 20k so soon after cancelling and didn't take the offer.
Old May 24, 2005, 12:33 pm
LRD

Programs: AA Plat/6MM, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by brp
Do you recall when this change was made?
Old May 24, 2005, 12:39 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LRD
Do you recall when this change was made?
This has been around for years. This is not anything recent. I don't that it was ever different.

Cheers.
Old May 24, 2005, 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by brp

Cheers.
Its the same as AMEX.

FWIW, Once my DC is rebranded to MC, I am dumping both my Amex Plat and Citi AA card. IMHO, DC still has the best rewards program for transferring points to various airline programs. I am getting away from being married to one carrier for reward travels.
Old May 24, 2005, 9:14 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DataPlumber
Its the same as AMEX.
Actally, no- at least not for the *wood card; I can't speak for the other Amex products. My *wood Amex is 2%.

Cheers.
Old May 24, 2005, 10:31 pm

I called in December to cancel and they connected me to another rep who offered to waive the $50 fee (I did not ask for anyting, just said I wish to cancel). I accepted, though I still rarely use the card since I got the Starwood Amex. I was charging about $1,000 a month and did not carry a balance. The year before I called to cancel and I was offered a waiver of half the fee, or pay the full $50 and get 5,000 miles. I took the miles. I'm not sure if it's luck or something else.
Old May 25, 2005, 12:01 pm
Original Poster

I'm with DataPlumber...with Diners now being accepted anywhere, the flexibility of using miles with any airline is great. A great advantage is to add the necesssary miles to any airline to get an award ticket or an upgrade.
Old May 25, 2005, 8:53 pm

Programs: AA Plat; HH Gold; Marriott Silver; UCLA Fan
I've had the AA Citibank Business MC for about 4 years. I do about $75K a year on it. The last 2 years, under the threat of my cancelling, they waived the fee in full, and the year before that they waived half of it. So there!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.