Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Consolidated) > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Merger)
Sign in using an external account

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jan 11, 05, 10:00 pm   #1
POH
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: former resident of YKS
Programs: *Wood Gold, MP, SM, M&M, DM, HH Gold [Revoked], PC Gold, WP
Posts: 222
First try at aadvantage shopping

I used aadvantage shopping for the first time today. After I clicked through the link from aadvantageeshopping.com, there was no indication that the store I was in 'knew' I had come from AA. Same was true on order confirmation page. Is this normal and I should just be patient and wait 4 - 6 weeks for my points, or did I screw up?

POH
POH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 05, 7:29 am   #2
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: west of DFW airport
Programs: AA LT Gold, 1.7 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
Posts: 10,880
should be just fine

Welcome to a wonderful way to gather AA miles.
oldpenny16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 05, 11:36 am   #3
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: SF Bay Area
Programs: AA/IC
Posts: 31
You didn't screw up

Quote:
Originally Posted by POH
I used aadvantage shopping for the first time today. After I clicked through the link from aadvantageeshopping.com, there was no indication that the store I was in 'knew' I had come from AA. Same was true on order confirmation page. Is this normal and I should just be patient and wait 4 - 6 weeks for my points, or did I screw up?

POH
If AAdvantage eShopping does not ask for your AAdvantage number before sending you on to the merchant, then that merchant has a direct relationship with AA and manages their own mileage program. In that case, you should see something on the merchant site that let's you know that you came from AA. At the very least, they will have some way to enter your AAdvantage info during checkout.

If you are asked for your AAdvantage number before leaving the AAdvantage eShopping website, then they have only an affiliate relationship with AA and you will not see any indication on the website that you came from AA. In this case, your visit is tracked by using cookies and the merchant will not ask for your AAdvantage info.

Hope this helps...
Jhereg
jhereg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 05, 11:39 am   #4
POH
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: former resident of YKS
Programs: *Wood Gold, MP, SM, M&M, DM, HH Gold [Revoked], PC Gold, WP
Posts: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhereg
If AAdvantage eShopping does not ask for your AAdvantage number before sending you on to the merchant, then that merchant has a direct relationship with AA and manages their own mileage program. In that case, you should see something on the merchant site that let's you know that you came from AA. At the very least, they will have some way to enter your AAdvantage info during checkout.

If you are asked for your AAdvantage number before leaving the AAdvantage eShopping website, then they have only an affiliate relationship with AA and you will not see any indication on the website that you came from AA. In this case, your visit is tracked by using cookies and the merchant will not ask for your AAdvantage info.

Hope this helps...
Jhereg
That helps a lot, Jhereg. Thanks. I was asked for my aa number before leaving the aa site. I guess I would like to have seen some kind of confirmation on checkout acknowledging that I came from AA.

Does it really take 4 - 6 weeks for miles to post to AA?

POH
POH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 05, 11:45 am   #5
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: SF Bay Area
Programs: AA/IC
Posts: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by POH
...Does it really take 4 - 6 weeks for miles to post to AA?...
Yeah, 4-6 weeks is about average posting time for the base miles. Bonus miles may be posted at a later date depending on the terms and conditions of the promotion.

Jhereg
jhereg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 05, 11:56 am   #6
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 604
Caution for the future, but it's too late now.

I recently made a purchase thru AAeShopping with Eddie Bauer, and did not get the (840) miles I expected. After a frustrating canned response, AAeShopping concluded that in my research before the purchase I visited a site that deposited a cookie which established a prior claim on any rewards from Eddie Bauer. Though I went to Eddie Bauer through AAeShopping, and logged in with my AAdvantage number etc, and committed no other "sins" (like leaving and returning halfway through the transaction, etc.) the credit/commission for the sale went to the site that deposited the cookie (without my knowing it).

AAeShopping's solution for the future was that before doing any shopping, one should clear all browser histories, cookies, cached pages etc. just before entering their "store".
JCareyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 05, 1:00 pm   #7
POH
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: former resident of YKS
Programs: *Wood Gold, MP, SM, M&M, DM, HH Gold [Revoked], PC Gold, WP
Posts: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCareyB
I recently made a purchase thru AAeShopping with Eddie Bauer, and did not get the (840) miles I expected. After a frustrating canned response, AAeShopping concluded that in my research before the purchase I visited a site that deposited a cookie which established a prior claim on any rewards from Eddie Bauer. Though I went to Eddie Bauer through AAeShopping, and logged in with my AAdvantage number etc, and committed no other "sins" (like leaving and returning halfway through the transaction, etc.) the credit/commission for the sale went to the site that deposited the cookie (without my knowing it).

AAeShopping's solution for the future was that before doing any shopping, one should clear all browser histories, cookies, cached pages etc. just before entering their "store".
Oh... that's E-X-A-C-T-L-Y the type of thing I am concerned about. I guess I'll just have to wait and see...
POH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 07, 2:16 am   #8
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 155
*****

Last edited by nonyflyer; Sep 3, 13 at 1:40 pm..
nonyflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 07, 7:44 am   #9
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: YYZ/MGA
Programs: AA Platinum/1MM Lifetime Gold, TACA/Avianca Lifemiles Oro
Posts: 5,679
The above post happened two and a half years ago and nobody is carping about this since. There's searching and there's looking for trouble.
ricktoronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 07, 8:15 am   #10
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,360
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonyflyer View Post
I just purchased next semesters of books with Barnes and Noble through AAShopping. I bought around $500 in books and there's a promotion for double credit or 6 miles per dollar. It's also my first time using this shopping program.

If for some reason the points do not post - will AA work with you to get credit? The scenario described above is worrisome. I did everything correctly but I don't want any issues : (
Don't worry about it. AA's eshopping works quite well and problems are rare. If there IS a problem, send them a copy of your receipt and explain that you went through their site and they'll probably fix it.
jragosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 07, 10:03 am   #11
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: NYC, USA
Programs: AA EXP 2MM, Lifetime Platinum, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Travelers Aid JFK Volunteer
Posts: 9,573
Yes, it is very important to clear all caches, browser history, etc., before going into eShopping.

Basically, the point of eShopping is to prevent people from shopping around because they worry about not getting the mileage credit. That gives the merchants a competitive edge, and offers them a reason for participating in the program.

So, what you should do is shop around for what you want, and once you are sure of the exact item(s), go out of the site, delete cookies and cache, then use eShopping to get back to the site, and then add the items to your cart and buy directly, without clicking on any external links or using forward or back buttons on your browser.

As stated previously, it will take 4-6 weeks minimum for the miles to appear. If you wish, you can arrange to receive an email informing you that the miles have posted.
ESpen36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 07, 10:55 am   #12
Senior Moderator/Moderator: American AAdvantage, Mexico, and Talkboard Topics
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: NorCal - SMF area
Programs: AA EXP / 5 MM; HH <>; SPG Gold; Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Posts: 39,691
AAdvantage eShopping works pretty well IME, and you have received (even before you requested it,) some pretty good advice from truly experienced and veteran eShoppers. Start your eShopping from the AA site you have logged in to, and if you have been visiting around (particularly any referral kind of page) be sure to clear your browser cache / cookies. (You can clear 'em all, or you can hunt them down if you can figure out which cookie they planted on your hard drive.)

As ricktoronto says, if it had been a major problem, we'd have many of these threads telling us so.
__________________
Donate your computer's idle time to research. Join the FlyerTalk BOINC Team!
JDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 07, 6:08 pm   #13
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: 6E Westbound, 4E Eastbound
Programs: AA EXP & 2MM, Priority Club Plat since 1984
Posts: 6,016
My experience, in the summer of 07, was smooth.

Logged into site, made purchase and a little over six weeks later got miles.
This was my second purchase, in this case from tigerdirect, and even though I bought drastically reduced items, the credit did come through.
Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 07, 6:23 pm   #14
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: COS
Programs: AA EXP / .79MM, UA 1P, DL GLD, MR PLT, HHonors Diamond, Avis First, Hertz #1 GLD
Posts: 780
one technique that works well for me: i use firefox as my primary browser (has all my bookmarks and is where i make all reservations/purchases/etc.) and explorer when i want to remain anonymous; after every session i use ccleaner (available free at cnet's download.com) to clear cookies, browsing history, etc.

ymmv. good luck!
__________________
- Even a broken clock is right twice a day -
AAir_head is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 6:33 am.




SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.