Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Not only did I throw away my vouchers but also tickets HELP

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2004, 4:14 pm
Original Poster

Not only did I throw away my vouchers but also tickets HELP

Last week (after the trash was hauled off) I discovered I have thrown away 2 award tickets, for hubby and I. But I also had $1600 worth of vouchers that also were tossed.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!AA said they want $100 Lost Ticket reissue, plus they tell me that vouchers lost are vouchers gone. And they won't reissue.

Any HELP would be very appreciated.
Old May 3, 2004, 4:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP-1.6MM, Hilton Diamond, ManU & Chicago Bears #1 Fan
I'm afraid that this will be remembered as a very costly garbage day at your house.
The tickets may be replaced free, maybe if you explain it to another agent and they feel sorry for you,

but

the voucher gone is a voucher gone. It's like cash. I did the exact same thing few years ago with a Continental voucher and there was nothing I could do about it.

Sorry for the bad news.
Old May 3, 2004, 5:15 pm

Programs: AA Gold; HH Gold
Agree with previous poster. You'll probably get stuck with the $100 reissue fee on the tickets, and will definitely never see those vouchers again. I'm sorry
Old May 3, 2004, 5:17 pm
Original Poster

Are you serious? No recourse at all???
Old May 3, 2004, 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by MeLike2Travel
Agree with previous poster. You'll probably get stuck with the $100 reissue fee on the tickets, and will definitely never see those vouchers again. I'm sorry
yep. the tickets can be reissued for a fee [are they e-tickets? you need not even reissue those since the record locator will be enough to checkin]. vouchers are a big ouch.
Old May 3, 2004, 5:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM/AC; UA Silver; AS; DL; Marriott LTT; National Car Elite
Is it possible to prevent this problem in the future by making a copy of the vouchers and keeping in a safe place? I usually mail mine to my T/A. What if they got lost in the mail? I think he told me once that he needs the amount & place of issue & a document number in order to use them.

But I don't think this would help OP in the current situation.
Old May 3, 2004, 5:47 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Red face Sorry - you are out of luck with lost vouchers.

Are the award tickets e-tickets? Go to aa.com and feed the Reservations page your PNR (Passenger Number Record) for the reservation, flight and date details, etc. and you should be able to see it all online - but you don't need it to fly, only to arrive at a counter / automatic check-in machine with your AAdvantage card, or other acceptable ways of addressing the machine (for domestic flights -for international flights, they need to see you at the ticket counter.)

If they are paper tickets, you indeed need to have them reissued. Someone at AA MIGHT wave the fee, but most airlines / personnel will not.

Vouchers, they tell us to treat them like cash. There's a reason -they are like cash. If I toss cash out with the rubbish, it's gone, and US Treasury or the bank won't give me new cash.

Sorry to underscore the bad news here, but there it is. I suspect everyone has had a bad experience when they tossed something important; welcome to the club, and have a good trip.

(I used old Playboy magazines to get through some Central American borders when I mistakenly burned my auto registration a few years ago... but this won't work at AA.)
Old May 3, 2004, 5:48 pm
Original Poster

Unfortunately my award tickets were on Air Tahiti Nui, which doesn't do E-tickets. They were the old paper tickets!!!
Old May 3, 2004, 6:02 pm

If you have travel insurance maybe you can claim there. and what sort of vouchers were they?
If they were paid to a wholesaler then maybe they can cancel them. Obviously no one will turn up on the day if they went in the garbage and if it was for international travel most people finding a voucher in someone elses name would not purchase an international ticket to use vouchers in someone elses name.
Much of my latest travel i have had to show picture ID so I think that no one else would turn up!
If it is award hotels with hilton then you can reprint the award or cancel and re issue .if it is hyatt there are no vouchers and spg the same.
Please be more specific.
Old May 3, 2004, 6:04 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Argh! Your award tickets just went up in price!

OTOH, if you have award tix on Air Tahiti Nui, you will LOVE French Polynesia... If you will be stuck in Papeete, Tahiti - you can visit the market (marché) and check out the pareus (they are practically all made in Indonesia, BTW,) etc. And for a fun dine-out, be sure to head to the docks at sundown and enjoy dining at "les roulottes" - vans and vehicles that arrive, extend awnings, set tables, etc. and make up the most interesting (not to mention tasty, and reasonably-priced) mobile dining mall you have ver seen! Weekends, you can follow with a stroll towhere you will see / hear music being played...

Though the best of PF is NOT on this island, you can still have fun in Papeete!

Originally Posted by Lyndihop
Unfortunately my award tickets were on Air Tahiti Nui, which doesn't do E-tickets. They were the old paper tickets!!!
Old May 3, 2004, 6:07 pm
LLZ

Unfortunately, with regard to the vouchers Lyndihop, you now have a Phd from University of Hard Knocks AA simply will not replace them in any form or fashion.
Old May 3, 2004, 6:34 pm

Location: DFW, 3.5 MM, AA EXP, LIFETIME PLATINUM, MARRIOTT LIFETIME PLATINUM, STARWOOD AMBASSADOR 223 NIGHTS, AND LIFETIME GOLD, HILTON DIAMOND, NATIONAL EXECUTIVE ELITE
i am so sorry - what a shame.

i must agree with the other posts - the vouchers are gone.

My condolences - that was a lot of $$$.

Old May 3, 2004, 7:38 pm
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
Very sorry to hear of this!

Just curious, though -- how do you know they were tossed out in the garbage? Did you throw away a folder labeled "$1,600 in non-replaceable vouchers"?

I hope the humor helps because those vouchers aren't coming back.
Old May 4, 2004, 3:20 am

Programs: TK *Gold / BA Gold / EZY Plus!
Question

How can you throw such important documents away?

I just dont see how anyone can accidentally throw flight tickets away. I keep all my important stuff in my travel wallet, flight tickets, passport, drivers liscence, currency, etc etc. That way I know where my things are at all times.

Jamo
Old May 4, 2004, 7:56 am

Programs: AA Plat, UAL Premier Exec, SPG and HH Gold
Originally Posted by jamojdm
How can you throw such important documents away?

I just dont see how anyone can accidentally throw flight tickets away. I keep all my important stuff in my travel wallet, flight tickets, passport, drivers liscence, currency, etc etc. That way I know where my things are at all times.

Jamo
Jamo,
Yes, it is difficult to imagine. However, I am quite confident that the OP is already asking themself how they "could have thrown such important documents away." We have all made mistakes, and the OP is just asking for help post-mistake. I wish I could offer some help, but I can't. I could offer a lecture, but yours demonstrates that a lecture isn't very helpful in a time like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.