Search

EXP travelling on paid J JAL NRT>LAX given $400 to take AA J

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2015, 7:38 pm
GB
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton GLD

I agree with your original decision to take JAL over AA for service, but I think your decision to accept $400 for the AA flight is a fair offer.
Old Jan 2, 2015, 7:39 pm
44C

Programs: AA EXP (OW EME), Hyatt Globalist

Just wanted to share my recent experience. I booked a paid J BKK>NRT>LAX>MIA with BKK>LAX on JAL and LAX>MIA on AA. Booked on Orbitz and AA charged my credit card. When I arrived at NRT a JAL ... Mngr customer service approached me in the 1st Class Lounge and told me the JAL flight was oversold and wondered if I could take AA J instead leaving around same time so still time to catch my LAX>MIA. I told her I booked JAL specifically for service and seat but I would take AA First or other JAL flight in J as soon as I reached MIA. She came back and said no availability and apologized. I told her I wasn't interested in AA J. She came back and offered me 30,000 yen in cash wish she said was approximately USD 300. I pointed out I am Oneworld Emerald and surely there is someone else they can bump. She came back with 40,000 yen which I accepted assuming this was $400. My thought was that I had already experienced JAL J BKK-NRT, and even though you can't compare AA J to JAL J, they were still getting me in business on time non-stop so wasn't sure what compensation was due legally. She suggested we change the yen to USD prior departure which I agreed to, but when we went to the change kiosk it only came out to $320 which I pointed out was no $400, so she ran back to lounge to get another 10,000 yen in cash which we changed for approximately total $400. Trip went as expected and I was happy with my decision but always open to any comments / experiences in this board.

Last edited by 44C; Jan 2, 2015 at 7:59 pm
Old Jan 2, 2015, 7:44 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Not a terribly useful question, though interesting story. Everyone values things differently -- that's basic economics. I wouldn't have taken the deal, but what's it matter? You did -- enjoy your $400. Maybe go buy a nice sushi dinner.
Old Jan 2, 2015, 7:49 pm

Programs: AA LifeTime PLT (2.982 MM, But 3MM+ Total), HHonors GOLD, IHG AMB
Yeah, if she was willing to get another 10,000 yen (because it's now 120 yen to the $1 USD), definitely you should have asked for 100,000 yen (i.e.: $800.00). LOL. I certainly wouldn't have done it for $240 USD. Maybe you can contact JL and asked for a system-wide upgrade on your next flight (like from J to F) now that it's all over.

Ah, you booked on Orbitz. Had this been booked directly on JL they could have.....well, I dunno. Good Luck!

Spock Seat
Old Jan 2, 2015, 8:28 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Yes, the posts are actually in order, as we merged the replies to the original query the OP made in the AA consolidated forum, but then self-erased prior to reposting here. Sorry for the slight confusion.

(Easier perhaps to ask the moderators to move the original thread.)

/Moderator
Old Jan 2, 2015, 9:40 pm
BLG

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, BA Lifetime Blue, Marriott Gold, and many others
Interesting situation. Haven't encountered that one before. Obviously no right or wrong thing to do, and I'm glad the OP was happy enough with the way it worked out, but I started wondering what I would have done. You never know unless you were there in the moment, but I'm kind of thinking that I might have said something like, "OK, for a thousand bucks," perhaps just to see what would happen
Old Jan 3, 2015, 8:07 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, AA PLT, Hertz PC
OP, quick question: It sounds like they almost singled you out as the person to bump. Did they give any reason why after you first denied the offer why they didn't approach other J passengers?
Old Jan 3, 2015, 10:01 am

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
i was wondering the same. Did they 'ask for volunteers', or was singling you out their method of finding volunteers?

I found some JAL pubs that spell out their procedures.. The MUST ask for volunteers first.

VOLUNTEERS AND BOARDING PRIORITIES
IF A FLIGHT IS OVERSOLD (MORE PASSENGERS HOLD
CONFIRMED RESERVATIONS THAN THERE ARE SEATS
AVAILABLE), NO ONE MAY BE DENIED BOARDING AGAINST
HIS/HER WILL UNTIL AIRLINE PERSONNEL FIRST ASK FOR
VOLUNTEERS, WHO WILL GIVE UP THEIR RESERVATIONS
WILLINGLY, IN EXCHANGE FOR A PAYMENT OF THE
AIRLINE'S CHOOSING. IF THERE ARE NOT ENOUGH
VOLUNTEERS, OTHER PASSENGERS MAY BE DENIED
BOARDING INVOLUNTARILY IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE
FOLLOWING BOARDING PRIORITY OF JL:
(A) NON-REVENUE AND REDUCED RATE AIRLINE
EMPLOYEES AND/OR HIS/HER FAMILY MEMBERS.
(B) TOUR CONDUCTOR(S) NOT ACCOMPANYING A TOUR
GROUP.
(C) PASSENGER(S) (EXCLUDING TOUR CONDUCTORS)
OTHER THAN AIRLINE EMPLOYEE(S) TRAVELING ON
REDUCED RATE OR NON-REVENUE TICKETS.
(D) LOCAL BOARDING REVENUE PASSENGER(S) EXCLUDING
THOSE PASSENGERS WHO VOLUNTEERED FOR DENIED
BOARDING.
(E) TOUR CONDUCTOR(S) ACCOMPANYING A TOUR GROUP.
(F) TRANSIT REVENUE PASSENGERS CONTINUING ON THE
SAME FLIGHT.
(G) GOVERNMENT INSPECTOR(S) OR CHECKER(S).
(H) DEADHEAD CREW MEMBERS WHOSE DENIED BOARDING
MAY CAUSE CANCELLATION, DELAY OR OTHER FORMS
OR IRREGULAR OPERATION TO OTHER SCHEDULED
FLIGHTS.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.