Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Earning and Redeeming AA Miles on HA / Hawaiian Airlines (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 20, 2015, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Earning and Redeeming AA Miles on HA / Hawaiian Airlines
Note changes ConUS-Hawai'i awards and special conditions for Interisland flights

Link to miles earning and redemption on Hawaiian Airlines page on aa.com

Earning AAdvantage miles

• Flying Hawaiian Airlines as an American Airlines marketed flight / codeshare earns EQ Miles and Points as if you were flying American Airlines.

• Flying HA earns redeemable miles, not Elite-Qualifying. Highly discounted K, L, O or Z economy fares earn no AA miles and Mainland - Islands flights earn no AA miles either, in any fare class[/hl]; flying a HA marketed / codeshare flight operated by American Airlines would appear to earn no miles. Again, NO EQD, EQM, EQS are accruable flying HA if not as an AA marketed flight / code share.

Earn miles
Earn AAdvantage miles when you fly on Hawaiian Airlines marketed and operated flights as well as Hawaiian Airlines codeshare flights operated by American Airlines. Simply:
  • Buy an eligible published fare ticket booked in an eligible code
  • Fly an eligible route between Honolulu and Lihue, Hilo, Kona and Maui; between Maui and Lihue and Honolulu and between Lihue and Hilo and Kona.
Specific flights, routes or cities that are excluded from earning miles or award travel are listed as exceptions if applicable.

Regions

Earn AAdvantage® miles for travel on Hawaiian Airlines within the Hawaiian Islands and between Hawaii and:
  • South Pacific
  • Asia
Exceptions: Hawaiian flights operated under the Ohana brand are not eligible for award mileage accrual.
Redeem miles

*Effective September 1, 2015, AAdvantage members will no longer be able to book awards between Hawaii and the continental U.S. on Hawaiian Airlines.

Unannounced change effective 1 Sep 2015: AAdvantage members who wish to fly AA or AS between the "lower 48" mainland US and Hawaiian Airlines destinations beyond Hawaii will be required to use two AAdvantage awards for each one-way journey.
(JonNYC)
Also note, courtesy of JonNYC:

• Itineraries to/from Central, South America or Transatlantic that include Hawaiian Airlines (HA) will not price as one award and are only valid if multiple award(s) are claimed.

• Awards specific to travel between Hawaii and North America do not include inter-island flights (N. America - Hawai'i awards on HA are no longer allowed.)

• Awards specific to Inter-island travel allow a maximum of 1 flight segments.
Redeem AAdvantage miles for travel on Hawaiian Airlines flights and between Hawaii (not the mainland - a separate award on AA or other eligible airline, no longer HA) and:
  • American Samoa
  • Australia
  • Japan
  • Korea
  • New Zealand
  • Tahiti
  • Taiwan
  • U.S
NOTE: Passengers on domestic or ConUS - Island flights pay $25 for the first bag, other than First Class travel.

Updated 22 Jan 2017 - JDiver
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2011, 4:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion | SPG Gold

So my dad and I will be going to Kauai this summer, late May or early June. We have a crazy amount of American points (275K) and British Airways (100K) and were thinking about using the miles to fly Hawaiian instead. I'd rather fly a 767 to HNL than a 757 to LIH. We'll be leaving out of San Diego most likely. From what I understand I have to call American to use the miles on Hawaiian, but what mileage amount to they use... American's or Hawaiians?
Old Dec 12, 2011, 4:17 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
<deleted image of now obsolete mileage redemption chart>

If it were me, I'd think of using Alaska as well.

Last edited by JDiver; Jun 20, 2015 at 5:35 pm Reason: Delete obsolete information
Old Dec 12, 2011, 4:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion | SPG Gold
Originally Posted by JDiver
If it were me, I'd think of using Alaska as well.
good plan I forgot Alaska does HNL
Old Dec 12, 2011, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

BA will charge you fewer Avios to fly a nonstop (in Coach) between the West Coast and Hawaii on either AA or AS than AA will charge AAdvantage miles. But you cannot redeem BA Avios for travel on HA.

Last edited by guv1976; Dec 12, 2011 at 5:19 pm
Old Dec 12, 2011, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by dl767captain
good plan I forgot Alaska does HNL
Alaska also does Lihue, at least from the Bay Area. If the OP is going to LIH, they don't need an HNL connection
Old Jan 5, 2012, 11:44 am

question on using AA miles for HA first class

When using AA miles to fly first class on Hawaiian Air, does availability for HA have to be at the low (saver) level in order to use AA miles?

Thanks
Old Jan 5, 2012, 1:12 pm

question on using AA miles for Hawaiian Air

To use AA miles on a Hawaiian Air flight, I know you can check HA's website for award availability. Does the award have to be at HA's low/saver level in order to book it with AA miles? Or can you book any HA flight as long as they have *some* level of award availability.

It's so frustrating trying to use these miles without having a single source that lists all of the byzantine rules.

Thank you!
Old Jan 5, 2012, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by mslish
Does the award have to be at HA's low/saver level in order to book it with AA miles?
Yes.

Somebody may correct me - there are ~20 AAvantage redemption airlines - but I believe all partner award inventory must be at the lowest mileage level in order to redeem AA miles for it.

Last edited by 3Cforme; Mar 29, 2012 at 8:57 am
Old Jan 5, 2012, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Yes.

Somebody may correct me - there are ~20 AAvantage redemtion airlines - but I believe all partner award inventory must be at the lowest mileage level in order to redeem AA miles for it.
You are correct.
I have been able to use AAdvantage to get almost free trips to HNL by stopping over at YVR indefinitely on the return from HKG, then in early Dec going YVR-SEA-HNL.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 5:30 pm

thanks!

Thanks for confirming. After WAY too many hours of internet research I finally booked two first class tickets: ATL- DFW - LAS - HNL - SFO - ORD - ATL on AA and Hawaiian Air for 75k each in late-May. Woo hoo! I never thought I'd be happy to have 2 connections each way, but unfortunately I don't have much flexibility around dates and travel times, so I'm just happy to get low-level awards that work for my dates.

There is no way I could have done it without all of the resources here and on the many great travel hacking blogs. Talking to the agent while booking, I asked her if there is anything on the AA site that details the various rules and restrictions regarding booking award travel and she flat out said no, we just have to call them. I guess they do that on purpose to prevent less determined folks from getting the most out of their miles.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 7:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton GLD, Marriott Plat, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by mslish
Talking to the agent while booking, I asked her if there is anything on the AA site that details the various rules and restrictions regarding booking award travel and she flat out said no, we just have to call them. I guess they do that on purpose to prevent less determined folks from getting the most out of their miles.
The rules are awfully complex. If they posted them at the top of the page whenever anyone tried to do an award booking (in the interests of "full disclosure"), they'd confuse most of the kettles out there. On the upside of this lack of transparency and difficulty in booking partner awards, there's more award inventory for the rest of us.

Any particular reason why you chose HA for the overwater portion and not AA?
Old Jan 5, 2012, 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerChrisK
The rules are awfully complex. If they posted them at the top of the page whenever anyone tried to do an award booking (in the interests of "full disclosure"), they'd confuse most of the kettles out there. On the upside of this lack of transparency and difficulty in booking partner awards, there's more award inventory for the rest of us.

I couldn't find any low-level awards on AA or Alaska that worked on my dates.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 9:31 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, DL PLT, HH DIA, IHG PLT, Hertz PLT, Bonvoy GLD, Avis Pres Club
Originally Posted by FlyerChrisK

I know I'm not the OP, but I would choose HA over AA as well. I have done this trip on HA, AA, and DL premium cabins ex-LAX several times, and HA's 767 beats AA's 757 or DLs 757/767 hands down. HA has substantially better seat, substantially better IFE, substantially better meals (almost restaurant quality), Mai-Tais, and remarkably friendly service. Only negative about HA is their lounge, which is horrible.

Even with AA's 767 service, the only better aspect is the angled lie-flat seat. HA is still superior in every other way. And for a 5-hour flight, no one needs a lieflat seat.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 9:39 pm

Originally Posted by trojanman
I know I'm not the OP, but I would choose HA over AA as well. I have done this trip on HA, AA, and DL premium cabins ex-LAX several times, and HA's 767 beats AA's 757 or DLs 757/767 hands down. HA has substantially better seat, substantially better IFE, substantially better meals (almost restaurant quality), Mai-Tais, and remarkably friendly service. Only negative about HA is their lounge, which is horrible.

Even with AA's 767 service, the only better aspect is the angled lie-flat seat. HA is still superior in every other way. And for a 5-hour flight, no one needs a lieflat seat.
I didnt even pay attention to the plane options because, well, beggars can't be choosy. But it's good to know that we'll be comfortable and well lubricated (mmm, mai tais...)
Old Mar 29, 2012, 8:52 am

HA has two saver awards -- super saver and regular saver. It looks like they only offer super for certain days and not for certain times of year. Must super saver be available to book with AA or is either saver ok?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.