Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Turbulence incidents, reports, discussion master thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 17, 2014, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

DEFINITION: Aircraft turbulence (American Meteorological Society)

Irregular motion of an aircraft in flight, especially when characterized by rapid up-and-down motion, caused by a rapid variation of atmospheric wind velocities.

This can occur in cloudy areas (particularly towering cumulus and lenticular clouds) and in clear air. Turbulence is the leading cause of nonfatal passenger and flight attendant injuries. The U.S. Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) classifies aircraft turbulence as follows:

Light: Causes slight, erratic changes in altitude and/or attitude, and rhythmic bumpiness as occupants feel a slight strain against seat belts.

Moderate: Similar to light, but of greater intensity, with rapid bumps or jolts, and occupants feel a slight strain against seat belts.

Severe: Turbulence that causes large, abrupt changes in altitude and attitude, and large variations in airspeed, with the aircraft temporarily out of control. Occupants are forced violently against their seat belts and objects are tossed about, with food service and walking impossible.

Extreme: The aircraft is tossed about so violently that it is practically impossible to control, and structural damage may occur.

Incident:.AA 280 ICN - DFW on December 16 2014 local time, operated by a Boeing 777-223ER and carrying 240 passengers and 15 crew, was subjected to a prolonged period of moderate turbulence and two minute-long sessions of severe turbulence near Japan. The aircraft diverted to NRT, where four passengers and one crew member were taken to hospital for evaluation and treatment; no serious injuries were reported.

The other passengers were bussed to a local hotel, and another aircraft took them to their DFW destination today. The aircraft was taken out of service for inspection for possible damage.

(Summary by JDiver from news sources and member calexandre, who was on board.)

Originally Posted by AA spokesperson Andrea Huguely
“American Airlines Flight 280, a Boeing 777-200 from Seoul (ICN) to Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) has diverted to Tokyo (NRT) because of turbulence during the flight. There are 240 passengers and a crew of 15.
FlyerTalk member calexandre was on board. B]Link[/B] to member calexandre's photos in cabin.

Link to in-cabin raw video footage on YouTube

Link to Dallas Morning News article

Link to CNBC article

Link to (UK Daily) Mail Online (gets it all wrong -"Boeing 747-200") but decent graphics, including map

Link to Tokyo TV 50 video and interviews with two passengers (Japanese language)

Link to weather.com video taken on flight and explanation of probable turbulence source

Link to to video off Boeing destructive 777 wing test (exceeded 153% of expected highest stresses expected)

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2014, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
AA280, ICN-DFW, Diverts to NRT - Severe Turbulence Injures Pax

Variety of reports on Twitter, etc., that AA280 hit severe turbulence en-route to DFW, injuring at least 14 pax.. They're diverting to NRT.

Some reports from various news sources can be found on Twitter: https://twitter.com/search?q=%23AA280

http://www.cnbc.com/id/102273072

Last edited by JDiver; Aug 27, 2016 at 5:13 pm Reason: Restore original thread title
Old Dec 16, 2014, 11:55 am

Programs: AA EXP
Sounds scary, both the incident and the terrible reporting by the Daily Mail:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/tr...fic-Ocean.html

"The Boeing 747 – the world’s largest twin-engine passenger jet – was met by firefighters and paramedics when it touched down."
Old Dec 16, 2014, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by FAA1996
Sounds scary, both the incident and the terrible reporting by the Daily Mail:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/tr...fic-Ocean.html

"The Boeing 747 – the world’s largest twin-engine passenger jet – was met by firefighters and paramedics when it touched down."
Wow, didn't realize AA was still flying 747-200s!
Old Dec 16, 2014, 12:13 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
Ouch - 10 pax and 4 crew injured - hope it's not seriously so, but I fear it might be.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 12:45 pm

Programs: AA EP SPG Plat Hyatt Diamond IHG Plat Avis 1st Hertz 5* National Exec
Broken glass sure does sound scary, Lucky they were so close to land when they hit the turbulence. I had the worst turbulence of my life between Iceland and Boston and they glass didn't move. Can't imagine how bad it must have been to make the glass break.

My guess is Ground Control mad a bad call to try to proceed through the storm.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 1:06 pm

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
Originally Posted by venkol
Can't imagine how bad it must have been to make the glass break.
You're assuming the broken glass is windows? - when it very easily could just have been someone dropping a glass, an iPhone, an iPad, or something much more fragile than the aircraft itself.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 1:38 pm

Four passengers, one crew member go to hospital after turbulence hits AA 280 ICN-DFW

Oh no. Prayers and quick recovery for those injured. THat turbulence must have been real bad.

http://aviationblog.dallasnews.com/2...-airport.html/
Old Dec 16, 2014, 1:42 pm

It was from ICN to DFW on AA 280. Bad turbulence caused liquid to fly, it's just a mess. There might have been a storm that they must have flown through to cause this big thump....
Old Dec 16, 2014, 2:26 pm

Reports out of Japan say that a number of people were injured when turbulence struck American Airlines’ daily flight from Seoul, South Korea, to Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport.

AA spokeswoman Andrea Huguely confirmed the diversion, but did not comment on injuries. She sent us this statement:

“American Airlines Flight 280, a Boeing 777-200 from Seoul (ICN) to Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) has diverted to Tokyo (NRT) because of turbulence during the flight. There are 240 passengers and a crew of 15.

“American’s primary concern at this time is for our passengers and crew on board the airplane and our team in Narita is providing assistance. We will provide additional information as it becomes available.”

Various U.S. news organizations cited NHK in Japan as saying 10 passengers and four crew members were injured. The Weather Channel said that the area was being rocked by a severe storm.

American Airlines has issued this update on the carrier’s flight from Seoul, South Korea, to Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport, hit by turbulence as it was flying east of Japan:

“Medical personnel have been able to evaluate all passengers and crew members asking for medical attention. Four passengers and one crew member have been transported to local hospitals for further observation and treatment. None of the injuries are life-threatening.

“American Airlines Flight 280 will not continue on to DFW today. Passengers have been transported to hotels and will continue their travel to DFW tomorrow. Our team in Tokyo will continue to provide all necessary support to take care of our passengers and crew.”

The photos come from Dallas attorney Marc Stanley, who was on the flight.

“We were diverted to NRT [Tokyo's Narita International Airport] after 45+ minutes of insane turbulence.,” he messaged Todd Gillman in our Washington, D.C., office.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 3:05 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold

I'm wondering that as well - is it SOP to fly through this massive a storm? I mean 150-200 mph winds at FL380 - damn.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 3:47 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Broken glass sure does sound scary, Lucky they were so close to land when they hit the turbulence. I had the worst turbulence of my life between Iceland and Boston and they glass didn't move. Can't imagine how bad it must have been to make the glass break.

Wrong glass.

Ground Control has no input into dealing with routing or dealing with storm rerouting. At some distance from ground radar, pilots rely on aircraft radar , SIGMETS and PIREPS (pilot reports) when flying far from ground weather radar coverage. ATC is advisory; the Captain is the final authority, and turbulence (especially the clear air variety) isn't always predictable.

Last edited by JDiver; Dec 16, 2014 at 3:54 pm
Old Dec 16, 2014, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by no1cub17
I'm wondering that as well - is it SOP to fly through this massive a storm? I mean 150-200 mph winds at FL380 - damn.
West-East jet stream can make those speeds, and aircraft often take advantage of them for faster, more economical routings. It's not the wind velocity, it's wind shear, storm fronts, etc. that might offer challenges.

Our QF A380 earlier this month hit some moderate turbulence (some significant altitude excursions, plane shaking like a dog with fleas, etc.) The Pacific often isn't.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 3:52 pm

Programs: AA LTPLT UA1P Hilton Dia Marriott Plat
There were SIGMENTS out for sever turbulence just east of Japan and north.

Typical for the Jet stream coming off of Japan this time of year 200+ mph.

I was on AA 176 NRT DFW few years back. We hit sever 45 minutes from Tokyo for 10-15 seconds but the damage was done. Food everywhere, drinks, dishes, people's laptops hit the overhead bins. It was a mess but nobody was hurt. Captain came on and said they could see Standing Lenticular Clouds and that's what we hit!
Old Dec 16, 2014, 3:55 pm

We're those elite-qualifying segments?
Old Dec 16, 2014, 5:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP/1MM
I was on this one. Never experienced anything like that and hope not to again. Everything was completely smooth and then with no warning all the plates and glasses just went flying.

They've rescheduled us for 5pm departure. They better have a better flight path worked out this time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.