Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone else ever got an apology from AA?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2014, 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by Lightswitchjohn
'Spirals' - you think you could change it, right? But apparently, coming into the US internationally on AA, and changing to a USAirways flight as part of the same leg....you can't. Who knew?
I've switched flights on US Air to AA and back and changed dates, etc (on an international itinerary). It seems to me you got a bad agent, which def hurt your ability to get your desired plane.

I've found agents are (often) wrong. Booking a CX flight on the AA codeshare won't give me miles, or that I can't change my flight to leave from HND instead of NRT without a change fee.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 2:20 pm
Original Poster

mvoight - I can't comment definitely on the 'availability of seats' as we all know the actual availability of award seats is mysterious 'dark art witchcraft', involving as I imagine it a spider filled gloomy cave in Dallas somewhere with witches, wizards, crystal balls and sooth sayers...but, the agents (several) who tried to help me said directly the hang up was not availability, but the 'mixed metal' nature of the reservation. I was astounded too, which is why I emailed customer serve looking for help...silly passenger. :-)
Old Oct 20, 2014, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by mvoight
I will also admit to have received apologies from AA.
I have received apologies as well, although I can't vouch for the sincerely of said apologies.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 2:24 pm
Original Poster

Spirals - I'd be inclined to agree, and just tried calling again...no dice, and that is the same response I got from 'the Borg' in Dallas by email that started all this too. The agent I just spoke to said 'it is difficult because the rules are changing avery 15 minutes as they merge systems. I can't do things this afternoon I could this morning, and vice versa'. I DO feel for the poor agents, I really do. It must try ones patience.... But I've vented now to all of you, so I'm kind of over it. But yes, it does seem bonkers.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 2:46 pm

Programs: Former AA PLT/GLD, A3 *G, Priority Pass
I would call AA again, usually they have been accommodating with me. I would explain to them honestly the reason why you want to be booked in the 77W and ask politely to be re-accommodated. I have been lucky in all my issues and even if it takes a while AA has been able to meet my observations.

The award should be possible to change. I would keep calling but it all depends on the availability of the 77W J space. If you don't want to leave it to chance, buy a compelling I fare, and use your evips so the boys can upgrade to F. Keep the miles, and use it for another trip.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 2:54 pm

Or if they were my kids and really wanted a nice way to experience a 777-300. Instead of going to the AA route i would use AA miles to find them space in CX 888/889 which is true flagship experience, and Cathay may be a tad a bit fancier than AA. Of course, this all depends on family plans. The CX 77W runs from JFK to YVR and back.

They would be more impressed, though the AA plane is prettier looking livery scheme from the outside.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 2:54 pm
Original Poster

MVTM - sage advice...and I've tried your excellent suggestion, explaining to now I think four or possibly five agents (ALWAYS asking very politely - I have a rather 'proper' British accent which usually works wonders too!) and also explained why in my email to AA customer service - no luck, and they all say the same thing - 'mixed metal' - except the customer service email, which just kinda told me to 'get over it'. Oh, but 'please fly on American more'....

I don't have evips as I haven't made ExPlt the last few years... Really, I'm kind of over this as I suspect after several calls and email correspondence with AA nothing is going to change, and there is probably something in my record too!! This is just not the AA I've flow for almost 30 years now and that makes me sad. They used to have what I thought was top notch customer service, but that seems to have fallen by the way side - kind of inevitable with the financial troubles they have had I guess. And I hasten to add I'm not basing my feeling on just on this incident, but this is the straw the broke the camels back for me.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 2:57 pm
Original Poster

MVTM - the JFK to YVR on CX is a GREAT idea!! And having been back and forth to Hong Kong on CX back in June I agree, I think the plane is a little nicer inside that the AA 77W too.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 3:11 pm

MVTM - the JFK to YVR on CX is a GREAT idea!! And having been back and forth to Hong Kong on CX back in June I agree, I think the plane is a little nicer inside that the AA 77W too.
Yw. I'm glad i could be of help. I'm young too, and would love if my parents go that route. Welcome to FT.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 6:39 pm

Second this; the CX JFK-YVR is a fun ride.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 6:42 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium.;UA 1.5MM; UA Lifetime Gold (whoppee); DL Plat
Try UA and this response will seem like you're the king of England! It's a well written response to a minor issue! ......at least it's not a UA fill in the blank response!
Old Oct 20, 2014, 6:53 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, UA, WN, DL- zilch by choice, IHG-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, Hilton Gold,
Last month I traveled PEK-ORD-BNA in P. The PEK-ORD flight was delayed four hours. AA had advised me almost 24 hours in advance of the delay via text. They kept me updated with any further changes and automatically rebooked my ORD-BNA segment.

I had been scheduled to arrive BNA at 2:40PM. Instead I arrived at 5:00PM. In the world of international travel that is pretty insignificant.

Yet, I received an unsolicited email apology from AA for the delay and a bonus of 4,000 AAdvantage miles. I was pleasantly surprised at their apology and bonus offer.

But it worked as I pretty much discounted any other carrier when I booked my next P fare back to PEK.

I should make Gold this year, but PLT or EXP I am not.

-
Old Oct 20, 2014, 7:00 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Yes, I've gotten written apologies as well as several over the phone.

And welcome to Flyertalk, Lightswitchjohn!
Old Oct 20, 2014, 8:31 pm
Original Poster

Well I am delighted to hear these tales that the AA of my past years is not dead and gone..I just need to find it!! Boss315 - you seem confused - I AM the King of England :-) Kidding aside, your UA experience is sadly much like mine...even if I am wearing my crown!
Old Oct 21, 2014, 1:51 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Diamond
6P&E - I too am glad you posted the note about miles. It gives me hope that the "good old days" of unsolicited email apologies and extra miles aren't completely dead!

In the past 4 weeks I've had 3 MX each force auto rebookings and a complete cancelation that found me racing (in the back of a cab) from one airport to another (at my cost) and not a word from AA. No "sorry" - certainly no magical miles appearing.

Maybe I upset the AA gods?!

I do agree with Lightswitchjohn - at times it feels a bit as if the shine has worn off my beloved AA, though I'm willing to stick it out and see where we are in the new year. Fingers crossed that the customer service that initially drew myself (and my company) to AA returns in spades at the completion of the merger. I too am tiring of the "oh, that's US metal, we can't help you..."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.